Chapter 78 The Breaking of the Mist Barrier

"Captain, do we really have to do this?" Staff Officer Tao hesitated.

"Do we have any other options? Tao, those awakened warriors we gathered are completely unreliable. Even if we combine our forces with the small number of people in our regiment and Andrew, we still won't be able to defeat the Flame Monsters! We can only abandon him!" Captain Du sighed.

"Sergeant Ban seems..." Staff Officer Tao said worriedly.

"We can't afford to consider him. Everything must prioritize the objectives set by the higher command!" Captain Du interrupted him with a wave of his hand.

*******

The Flame Monsters were highly alert. Before Andrew reached the middle layer of the giant plants, they detected him. Immediately, like dive bombers, they swooped down straight towards him.

Without hesitation, Andrew turned around and ran. Whether it was the upcoming escape or the approaching swarm of insects, conserving energy was the only way to survive.

As he fled, the Flame Monsters chased after him relentlessly. Sergeant Ban led the others and took advantage of the situation to climb up the vines.

Having experience fighting against three Flame Monsters, Andrew's evasion skills had become more mature. He no longer ran in a straight line but deliberately maneuvered through the complex tangle of vines.

Andrew struggled with each passing second, while Sergeant Ban and the others relentlessly attacked the final Mist Source Body, causing flames to soar into the sky.

With a loud rumble!

The last Mist Source Body collapsed and shattered, causing the entire ground to tremble slightly!

The crowd erupted in cheers!

The Mist Barrier seemed to have lost its support, and the mist scattered evenly in all directions, becoming faint.

The fluid inside some transparent roots of the giant plants flowed rapidly, even as Andrew, who was still fleeing, could feel their tenacious and surging life force.

The professors had researched that the giant plants in the entire Kun City were actually interconnected, possessing a very powerful life force and regenerative ability. Once all the Mist Source Bodies were breached, if one couldn't escape in time, the giant plants would repair the damage and restore their original state.

Seeing that the Mist Barrier had broken, Andrew quickly turned around a red sky giant vine and led the pursuing Flame Monster back.

The awakened warriors, who were cheering, saw him returning with the demonic Flame Monster, and like being drenched with cold water, they suddenly fell silent.

Andrew was already under attack by at least ten flame monsters. The back of his battle armor was almost half melted from the intense heat. In order to avoid angering the monsters, he relentlessly pursued them without attacking back. He could only escape for his life. Fortunately, his Six Armor Talisman could still protect his body.

The awakened warriors were momentarily stunned for less than a second, then they heard Ban shout, "Brothers, prepare for battle and fight the monsters!"

As soon as Ban finished speaking, the awakened warriors behind him disappeared in the blink of an eye. There was no one left!

"Lieutenant! Let's go! This is the captain's order!" Two military awakened warriors immediately supported Ban and jumped down from the vines without saying a word.

Ban struggled as he was dragged down, his face filled with shame. "Captain, I know you want to complete the mission, but is it really right to abandon our comrades who fought so hard for us..."

Andrew had already anticipated this scene, but seeing it with his own eyes still infuriated him.

Since you have no trust, don't blame me for being ruthless!

Andrew didn't pause for a moment and leaped towards the nearest group of people.

"What the hell, why are you following me out of all people!?" One of the flame warriors who was caught up by Andrew was shocked and accelerated his pace.

Unfortunately, compared to Andrew and the monsters, his speed was like taking a leisurely stroll. The flame warrior only saw a flash in front of him as a figure shot past, and by the time he reacted, it was too late. The blazing wings of fire swept by, instantly engulfing him. The flame warrior didn't even have time to scream before his entire head turned into ashes.

The flame monster was momentarily stunned by Andrew's actions, and he swiftly passed several people without looking back, charging forward!

There were several screams from behind as the flame monster became excited and rampaged without restraint!

At this moment, Andrew finally caught up with the main force of this group of people. His appearance and the screams of the people behind him made someone exclaim, "He did it on purpose, everyone run in different directions!"

Andrew sneered to himself: Yes, I did it on purpose. Now let's see who can run faster!

Now it was a competition of speed, those who were slower would have to rely on luck!

Whoever the flame monster targeted would have to accept their misfortune!

Andrew made a turn and continued to move forward, not caring about the direction anymore. He went towards wherever there were more people.

Screams resounded one after another as the flame monsters plunged into the chaotic crowd, like a demon descending, causing one life after another to vanish, accompanied by agonizing screams!

The mist barrier had dissipated, and there was no sign of the exit that the professors had mentioned. It was just a trap designed by Du Qishan to stabilize the gathered awakened warriors!

The tanks and infantry fighting vehicles loaded with scientists from the military had already roared out, advancing towards the high ground in the western suburbs of Kun City.

Andrew finally escaped from the flame monsters, but he didn't dare to slow down as he rushed towards the outer city.

After only a few steps, he saw another group of people turning back and running towards him in panic.

Andrew was slightly startled, then he saw another burning flame monster swooping down towards them.

There was one in front and one behind, blocking his way!

Andrew reacted swiftly, immediately darting into a large building on the right side of the street. Regardless of anything, he needed to hide inside first, then find an opportunity to escape from both sides.

Those who had returned saw the fiery monster at the end of the street engaged in a bloody fight and suddenly stopped in their tracks. They followed Andrew into the building.

However, the building was not safe. Just as Andrew was about to crawl out of the window at the back, he noticed that the flame monster seemed to have targeted their group. It was hovering on the roof, and as soon as he went out, it would immediately dive down. Even if he could dodge it the first time, he wouldn't be able to escape its pursuit all the way.

The paragraph translates to:

The flame monster is too big to drill in for a while, which allows Andrew and the others to breathe a little easier. However, they dare not let their guard down. The flame monster has already started flapping its wings and continuously ramming and burning the building. The entire building creaks and groans ominously!

Moreover, the insect army is about to attack soon. Andrew even hears the long-lost screeching of the red-armored bugs, a sound he is all too familiar with!

Andrew forcefully stabilizes his mind. The more critical the situation, the less he can afford to be careless.

He turns around and takes a look at the people behind him. Those who followed him in are none other than the first batch of awakened warriors who have always been suspicious of him, gathered by Tao. Under the leadership of the efficient old man, it seems that they have not suffered any losses and have even grown in number to over a dozen.

-----