Chapter 54 The Three-person Ambush

"Why?" Andrew said calmly.

Mantra climbed up the field ridge and pointed to a nearby place. There were many men, women, and children lying on the cold ground, carefully digging up frozen earthworms and even field mice that had died underneath the soil. Every time they caught one, they would quickly put it in their mouths or hide it around their waist.

He raised his voice and said, "The world has changed, the rules have changed, and the order has changed. What can we do with reptiles and monsters crawling all over the world? In order to survive, we either have to become stronger or become like them!"

Everyone understood this truth, but Andrew remained silent.

Mantra turned his head and smiled, "You should still remember what we saw in the Black Bread Factory. It's probably not just insects anymore. There are other things ahead, who knows what. Jack and I just want to stay alive and become more powerful. The number of awakened humans is increasing, and we are fortunate to be among the first. I guarantee that the future will belong to awakened warriors. No matter how strong the military is, they cannot stop this fact unless there is an incredible technological breakthrough."

Andrew said lightly, "Maybe you're right, but these are not reasons for you to help me."

Mantra jumped off the ridge and said solemnly, "You are the strangest and most special awakened person I have ever seen. Before today, you had never shown any ice or fire abilities. With just a sword, you can kill a red armored beetle, and your armor can even withstand lethal attacks from the long-face man."

"But that's not important. What's important is that today, you were able to use dark energy with a pistol, just like me!"

"And your friend, Jay-den, was the least injured in the battle against the tentacle monster, even though his strength is not particularly outstanding. Don't you find that strange? Later, he wasn't even torn apart by the flying insects!"

Andrew immediately became alert and looked at him coldly, "Have you been observing us?"

Mantra calmly said, "Anyone who pays a little attention would notice. I mentioned before that you brought us shock. For me, this shock was not just your powerful attack ability at the time, but also how quickly you recovered energy after killing a tentacle monster. I have never seen anything like it!"

Andrew hadn't thought that Mantra had observed so much in secret, but since he had decided to join the escort team, he expected that someone would notice his differences, so he didn't particularly mind.

Mantra continued, "Jack and I don't want to know your secrets. Every awakened person has their own secrets, and no one wants others to know too much. We just want to cooperate with you. I will be the spy, and you just need to provide us with something like what Jay-den has to stay alive."

Andrew wanted to find a spy, which would make it easier for him to track his target, especially when he encountered insects, so he wouldn't lose sight of them because of the need to fight.

But he had a lot of suspicion towards Mantra. If it was Jack, he might have believed him, but Mantra, he always felt that this person was unreliable.

Mantra laughed at himself, "Brother Chu, I know you don't trust me much, but there's no other way. I can't let Jack be the spy. He is a cultivation maniac and too honest. If he goes, it won't be long before he is discovered, and he won't be able to protect himself. Speaking of which, Brother Chu, do you think I have a reason to deceive you?"

Andrew paused for a moment and reflected on it. Mantra really had no reason to deceive him. He could have just gone to the military without coming to find him, and then set up a trap to capture him. There was no need for him to go through all this trouble, and it was even less necessary to keep Jack by his side.

After realizing this, Andrew didn't say much, sealing some Six-Armor Elemental Symbols wouldn't consume much Qi. In addition, he could even hide his own life information in the talisman seals. At critical moments, he could instantly make the Six-Armor Elemental Symbols on them collapse.

However, Andrew wasn't prepared to make a fire soldier symbol that could enhance Mantra's pistol power. He didn't trust Mantra enough yet, so he would talk about it later.

Andrew smiled and said, "Then let's hope for a pleasant cooperation!"

Mantra patted Jack's shoulder and nodded, "I hope the three of us can make it to Jinling City alive!"

Jack had not said a word all along. He seemed to trust Mantra a lot. Andrew wasn't interested in prying into their past experiences, but he guessed it wouldn't be smooth sailing.

At this point, Andrew and Mantra reached an agreement. Jack happily said, "Brother Chu, you are really amazing. Do you know, I dream of reaching that level in my cultivation!"

Andrew shook his head, sat back with the two of them, and said, "Since we are cooperating, let me be clear. I can provide you with an energy defense shield similar to a Red-armored Beetle, but there are time limitations. The strength of the defense also depends on your own level. At least it can withstand the simultaneous attacks of two Red-armored Beetles. If there are three, it will be dangerous."

Even Mantra, who had been guessing Andrew's abilities, was speechless at this moment. So far, he had never heard of humans being able to create such an energy defense shield. Most people relied on the power of ice and fire for defense. Ice warriors generally had better defense, while fire warriors had higher attack power.

Andrew ignored their surprise and continued, "Now that you all know, I must kill the man with the long face to avenge my brothers. But the man with the long face is very strong. I can't kill him with a sneak attack. He has many followers around him. To kill him, we must first eliminate these people!"

Mantra played with his pistol and asked, "How do you plan to eliminate them?"

Andrew coldly snorted and said, "Captain Du will soon gather all the elite forces, leave the crowd, and travel hundreds of kilometers from here to Jinling City. They will encounter countless monsters, and there will be casualties. When they are worn out, I will secretly attack their team members while they are fighting, causing them to lose their defense or hinder their evasion, indirectly causing them to be killed by monsters!"

Mantra nodded and said, "This method is good, but we need to choose a good place to start the assassination. We can't start too close to Jinling City, nor too early. We should notify you of this information based on their casualties. You can decide when to take action according to your own strength."

Andrew smiled. Having a spy was really convenient. To save time, Andrew took out some canned food and bread, let Mantra and Jack eat on the side, and used his flying talisman to seal himself, concealing his presence in their astonished eyes. Andrew didn't explain anything, just as Mantra said, every awakened had their own secrets.

"I need a crossbow or a bow! Do you know if there is an archery club in Kun City?" Andrew asked hopefully.

Mantra thought for a moment and shook his head, "I know many clubs in Kun City, but I haven't heard much about archery. If you really want it, you and Jack can infiltrate the city. There should still be some locals who couldn't escape. You can inquire about it. Also, I will leave marks along the way, so you don't have to worry about getting lost."

Andrew sighed, "It can only be done this way. It's getting late. Let's get moving."

Mantra patted the dirt off his body and said, "I'll go to Lieutenant Du first to seek refuge with him. You guys can follow behind, just be careful and don't get too close."

Looking at Mantra disappearing into the dim crowd, Andrew suddenly wondered, "Did Mantra really get his money's worth by risking his life to find the mole, only to exchange it for one Six-Armor Elemental Symbol?"

Perhaps Mantra was confident that it was just a small matter, or perhaps he wanted to exchange for even more things in the future!

No one could say for sure.