Chapter 84 The Bugs Catch Up

Andrew and Lan Chaoyin rode the motorcycle through the pitch-black outskirts, following the faintly visible national road heading west. They weren't going fast because the road was scattered with abandoned vehicles and frozen corpses.

More and more citizens who fled from the Misty City were following them. Most of them didn't have vehicles anymore. Since they knew that Jinling City was the nearest safe city, everyone was heading west in that direction.

They took clothes from the bodies on the road and obtained a small amount of gasoline from the cars that were destroyed by the red beetles, making many torches one after another. This worried Andrew a lot, as the scattered lights could easily attract the green beetles flying in the sky!

But there was no other way. In a world that had completely plunged into darkness where even the stars and moon couldn't be seen, it was impossible to recognize the road and direction without lighting.

Andrew could only constantly urge Lan Chaoyin to speed up and get away from the crowd.

Five or six kilometers were not far, and if it weren't for the lack of light and obstacles on the road, the motorcycle could have reached there quickly. However, in Andrew's eyes now, it was as slow as a snail!

Since the dark ages, Andrew has found that no matter what he plans, it is quickly disrupted by changes. Not long ago, he was worried about attracting Green Armor Beetles when he used her fire ability to start the motorcycle, just like Lan Chaoyin. But now, with the appearance of these citizens holding torches, he immediately wants Lan Chaoyin to quickly use her fire ability to rush to the military gathering point at the fastest speed. It truly confirms the saying: plans cannot keep up with changes!

Before he could speak, Lan Chaoyin seemed to know what he was thinking. She shook her long hair, leaned slightly forward, and reminded him, "Hold on tight!"

Before the words fell, the strange flame instantly ignited the motorcycle, and it suddenly accelerated, leaving a long trail of fire on the ground.

Along the way, whether it was corpses or abandoned vehicles, they were insignificant under the blazing wheels of the motorcycle. They crushed corpses and vehicles when they encountered them!

With such speed, they would arrive at Qingdeng Town in no time. Andrew hadn't even had a chance to be happy when he heard the fierce sound of cannons and the terrifying sound of a large number of Red Armor Beetles in front!

******

"Commander! It's almost too late to leave! We can't wait any longer!" Commissar Quan firmly grabbed Commander Yang's arm, tears streaming down his eyes as soldiers fell one by one.

Commander Yang's facial muscles twitched, and he shouted, "Wait!!!"

Commissar Quan immediately exclaimed in excitement, "How many brothers have died just to wait for Du Qishan?! The insects have bypassed Kun City, Yang Bailing! Look at what's happening! They're all surrounding us! Are you trying to bury our entire division with them?!"

Commander Yang tightened his grip on the pistol in his hand, his expression still resolute. He looked at the soldiers fighting desperately ahead and said firmly, "Military orders are like mountains. I said 23:00 is 23:00! I won't retreat one second earlier, and I won't wait one second longer!"

Commander Yang's resolute words made Commissar Quan tremble with pain. He suddenly fell to his knees, tears streaming down his face, and pleaded, "Old Yang, I'm begging you, give the order to retreat! Leave a spark of hope for our division, okay? I'm kneeling for you! Some of them are not even 19 years old, they're just kids!"

Upon hearing this, Commander Yang felt a pang in his heart. He quickly helped Commissar Quan up and trembled his lips, saying, "Quan! What are you doing?! I, Yang Bailing, am not a heartless bastard. They are all my soldiers! But, what I'm waiting for is not that idiot Du Qishan, but the two cars full of scientists! Although I've been a rough soldier holding a gun all my life and don't understand science, I understand better than anyone that without scientists, we won't be able to develop new weapons! Relying on the current weapons, not to mention our division, the entire military region will eventually be wiped out by the monsters!"

Commissar Quan shook his head in disagreement and wanted to argue further, but they heard cheers ahead.

Both of them were startled and quickly picked up the infrared telescope. In the front line of the fierce battle, behind the Red Armor Beetles, a long tank barrel emerged from the darkness, and a large number of awakened soldiers appeared behind the Red Armor Beetles, fighting against them!

At this moment, a soldier shouted, "It's the 218th Regiment! It's the 218th Regiment!"

Yang Bailing let out a long sigh of relief, then cursed loudly, "Du Qishan, you bastard!" Then he turned his head and shouted, "Deputy Chief Bao, how many depleted uranium shells do we have left? Bring them all out!"

******

A few minutes later, Andrew could already see the flames soaring into the sky in the distance, as well as the Red Armor Beetles crawling all over the ground. The dense mass of insects sent shivers down his spine. He and Lan Chaoyin were too weak, they couldn't rush through!

He discussed with Lan Chao Yin to quickly detour, once they were detected by the insects, they couldn't escape!

Heading north is Yangdeng Lake. If they go around the lake, the distance will be too far, so they can only detour to the south!

Ahead is Suzhou City. Andrew is now scared by the Misty City and refuses to agree to Lan Chao Yin's suggestion to go through Suzhou.

The further they go, the more people there are fleeing. Most of them have escaped from Shanghai, and now they have no vehicles and can only rely on walking.

Torchlights connect the front, and most people would rather follow the torchlights than enter the endless darkness alone. Although the torchlights make it easy for the insects to track their targets, no one can guarantee that there are no monstersty in those pitch-black areas!

Bright areas, crowded areas, will somewhat give people a sense of security. Even Andrew feels the same way!

Moreover, at least when danger occurs, having more people means if you are lucky, someone else will die instead of you!

Not to mention in the endless darkness where you can't even see the road.

Lan Chao Yin put away the fire energy and honestly admitted that there wasn't much fire energy left. They needed to reserve some to deal with crisis situations.

Once the flame is extinguished, it becomes an ordinary motorcycle. Andrew is not too worried about the consumption of gasoline. He still has some Material-Storage Elemental Symbols.

Lan Chao Yin is very skilled in driving and quickly maneuvered into the crowd, but with it came more and more troubles.

Some groups of people often try to take Andrew's motorcycle by force. There were even a few awakened warriors who tried to stop them. Fortunately, Andrew's abilities have recovered somewhat. He doesn't need the Thousand Defeat Sword. Just using the pistol with the sealed fire talisman can deal with them.

They didn't drive far when Andrew heard strange buzzing in the sky. His heart tightened. It was the sound of the green carapace beetles!

He turned his head and saw three or four green carapace beetles diving down. The crowd immediately erupted in chaos.

Andrew held Lan Chao Yin and tightly clamped the motorcycle with his legs, causing both the vehicle and the people to fall to the ground and slide far away.

The green carapace beetles flew past!

At this time, someone behind screamed, "The insects are catching up!"