Chapter 33 Dark energy

Andrew leaned against the wall, smoking in silence. His mood was not depressed because those people had returned, but because the screams of those who died just now made him feel frightened. The reason for his fear was that the number of insects seemed to be increasing, to the point where they were far outpacing his cultivation progress.

The girl he mistakenly saved also followed along, or rather, she hadn't gone far at all. She sat on one side with Andrew and Jay-den, forming two separate worlds with Gu on the other side.

Each time the downstairs screams of misery sounded, the girl's body would tremble, like a rabbit in extreme panic.

Andrew had experienced this feeling before when he witnessed the insects killing people and devouring their brain marrow. At that time, his heart pounded as if it didn't belong to him.

No one spoke, and no one dared to speak. Andrew didn't even dare to make a sound because the insects were particularly sensitive to sound.

It was quiet all around, quiet as if being in a cemetery.

After a long time, Andrew felt as if he had dozed off because he woke up in a daze. He had a nightmare where his helmet fell off and the insects were devouring his brain marrow.

The screams from downstairs had ceased, and there were a few insects wandering in the distance. There were no other sounds around except for the girl's soft sobbing on the rooftop and the low discussion of Professor Sun and the others.

Jay-den remained motionless like a dead pig. Andrew was almost giving up if it weren't for the fact that Jay-den's nostrils were still exhaling.

When Andrew looked up at the sky, suddenly the originally pitch-black world seemed to have a faint glimmer of light. His heart twitched rapidly, and he quickly pulled open his face mask. Sure enough, there was a faint weak light in the sky. Although darkness still shrouded the earth, that dim weak light could barely allow people to see the shadows of surrounding objects, so they wouldn't be completely blind without a torch or flashlight.

What's going on? Is it finally going back to the era of sunlight? Andrew's excited tears almost fell. It's not that he wasn't strong enough, but that he had hidden his vulnerability very deep.

Andrew jumped up and pushed Jay-den, who was like a dead pig, enthusiastically. "Jay, wake up, the weather has changed! There's a faint light! Stop pretending to be dead!"

"He won't wake up for now." Professor Sun, leaning on a crutch, walked up to Andrew and sat down, continuing, "He is awakening. According to our research, his body is undergoing transformation from dark energy. He won't wake up for now."

"Dark energy?" Andrew asked in confusion. He thought this old man came over to continue asking about his battle armor, but he didn't expect him to talk about these things. However, it seemed that he had heard this term somewhere before, maybe the expert in Building 8 had mentioned it.

Professor Sun nodded and explained, "Yes, dark energy, the absolute ruler in the universe. Together with dark matter, it occupies 96% of the entire cosmic structure, and even more."

"Are you saying that he is undergoing this kind of transformation from dark energy?" This was the first time Andrew had heard about cultivation or awakening issues outside of ancient books. However, he wasn't sure if the other party would speak after kicking him just now.

Professor Sun seemed not to have thought about it that much and sighed, "Yes, but not all dark energy possesses this ability. As for what kind of dark energy is causing the changes in humans and even animals, we are still studying it."

Andrew remembered what was written in the ancient book. The cultivatable Heaven and Earth Elemental Qi descended to Earth only after the seal in the celestial orbit was broken. To confirm this, he deliberately asked, "Then why didn't these things happen before the sun disappeared?"