Dick Grayson- Dinner (c)

Dick wiped down the edge of the plate for the fifth time, trying his best to make the ceramic glisten. You rested a hand onto his back, pulling him out of his obsessive thoughts to see you stood by his side. He was usually relatively confident in himself and his cooking but whenever it came to your parents, his nerves always managed to get the better of him.

Your parents had only met your boyfriend Dick once before in person, so this was quite a big deal. They lived a few states over, so it wasn't common for the four of you to be in the same room so Dick had made a dinner for the four of you and put his heart and soul into it. He had practiced the dinner the day before to make sure it was perfect and had followed his own handwritten recipes to the letter.

"It's going to be okay," you smiled softly to him.

Although you knew your parents could be critical, you knew they wanted you to be happy and as Dick did make you happy, they wouldn't find issue in anything he did as long as he didn't hurt you.

"I hope so," he whispered, taking a deep breath to try and compose himself.

He flattened his shirt before picking up two of the plates whilst you grabbed the other two. He led the way into the dining room where your parents sat on one side of the table, opposite the empty two seats.

"It looks marvellous, Richard," your mother gleamed, happily taking the plate from him.

"Thank you, Mrs Y/S," Dick said, trying his best not to drop your father's plate with his nerves.

"Nonsense," she said, playfully slapping his arm. "It's Y/M/N."

The rest of the plates were placed on the table before your boyfriend asked if anyone needed anything. You all assured him that everything was perfect, and he joined you at the table.

"I've never been a huge fan of chicken," your father stated as he put his fork into the meat and raised it to his lips to take a taste.

You could see Dick's face fall and pale at feeding your parents something they wouldn't enjoy.

"Don't worry the boy," your mother said in a warning tone towards your father. "He's worked so hard and it's delicious, you're just a harsh critic."

"You know dad's hard to please," you added. "Even he can't deny how hard you've worked to put this on the table."

You watched your dad eat and could see him looking a little annoyed; luckily, you knew it was because he couldn't find anything to complain about and would have to admit that it was going well. Even though it would take a while for Dick to see, you knew that your parents loved him, they just needed to accept his role in their little girl's life.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.