Helena Bertinelli- Patient: Part 1 (c)

It was usually a nice sight to see your best friend Dinah at your door but this time it was a little peculiar and made it unlike the normal joy of seeing your best friend. Normally if Dinah was coming to your apartment, it was already arranged to see her or at least she would phone ahead but today you had no idea that she was coming to your door.

You had been in the middle of studying for your upcoming exams when an erratic knock threw you from your focus. At first you thought it was someone at your neighbours door, not expecting any company that evening but as it continued and you heard your name yelled, you realised that you were the recipient. When you got to the door, you looked through the peep hole to see Dinah and another woman supporting a third who although was taller than them was being held up by the company by her sides.

Throwing the door open, you quizzically looked at the three women in front of you. Two of them were unknown to you but the third looked at you with a concerned expression, desperate for your help.

Dinah had quickly become your friend when you started working at the Black Mask Club with her. You both were singers, although you only worked part time to help pay your way through medical school. The two of you got along well and spent most of your free time together and tried to make the time at work to go quicker. On more than one occasion, she had phoned you asking for medical advice or asking for you to patch up wounds. Most of them were minor, usually defensive wounds on her hands or the odd cut. Whenever you asked about it, she told you not to worry and it seemed like it was for the best to stay out of whatever was going on but the woman that she brought to you today was far worse off than she had been.

"Dinah?!" You questioned, moving to the side so they could pull the half unconscious woman into your apartment.

"I'm sorry for turning up like this," she apologised, struggling to support the weight of the taller woman. "I didn't know where else to go and my friend needs help."

You let out a sigh, knowing you wouldn't get any studying done but you would do everything you could to help this woman. Luckily due to Dinah coming to you a lot for medical help, you had a well-stocked first aid kit so hopefully it would come in handy now.

"Get her on the sofa."

You grabbed the box of medical supplies, hoping you could help but with the amount of blood seeping through her dark clothing, you worried to what extent her injuries went.

"What happened, Dinah?" You asked your friend as you helped the injured woman remove her jacket.

"It's probably best you don't know," she stated. "I promise I'll explain everything later, but I need you to focus on this for now."

You weren't happy to not get your answer, but you needed to help out your patient.

"What's your name?" You asked the woman on your sofa.

"Helena," she croaked.

"Okay, Helena, I'm Y/N. I'm going to have to take your shirt off to see where all this blood is coming from. Where's the pain coming from?"

She pointed to where the main patch of blood was and as you peeled off the damp clothing, you revealed her reddened skin and a large gash that slid through her bruising and various superficial cuts. The gash pierced deep into her and if you had any sense, you'd have rushed her straight to a hospital knowing that as a student, you were not equipped to handle this but nevertheless you knew that wasn't an option and you needed to persevere.

You ordered Dinah and her friend Renee around to get you what you needed and to help them act as your assistants as you did your best to treat the wound and make sure you got Helena back to being fighting fit.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.