Renee Montoya- Slip Up (c)

Work had been a long and boring process, trailing well into the dark and past any reasonable time to be heading home. You had texted your girlfriend Renee to say that you would be late home, but she didn't answer you, but you didn't really expect her to. She had her own life to live and you knew that you would see her when you got home, so you didn't mind if she responded to you, as long as she knew why you weren't there and wouldn't need to worry about anything.

When you arrived home, you saw Renee's car outside and her coat hanging up in the doorway where yours promptly followed. You called out to her to hopefully get her attention and tell her that you were at home with her, but you didn't hear her respond but did hear her upstairs. You headed up to your bedroom that you shared with her.

There was an unexpected sight. Renee was sat on the floor with a large glass bottle that barely had a dribble left in it even though you knew it was full before you had left the house this morning.

"What happened?" You whispered, crouching down in front of her.

Tears rolled down her cheeks. "I'm such a failure. I can't do anything right."

You reached a hand up to cup your girlfriend's cheek, wiping away the odd tear with your thumb. It wasn't the first time that you had found her tearfully in a bottle and you doubted it would be the last but at least this time there had been a long time in between since it had last happened.

"What have you failed?" You questioned, calmly.

There was no perfect way to work with an alcoholic, but you had found being calm and talking with Renee was your best plan of action.

"I've been sober for seven months," she croaked.

"And you and I both know that things happen, and we can make mistakes but just because you've drank today doesn't mean that all of your work is ruined."

Renee choked on a sob.

"I ruined everything. You believed in me and I failed," she cried. "I don't know why you put up with all of this crap. I am useless. How can you put up with someone who is so ugly and useless and dependent on alcohol?"

You gently cooed to her, pulling her to you in a close, loving hug.

"You don't see yourself the way that I do. I think you're intelligent, I think you're beautiful, I think you have issues with alcohol but I also think that you are strong enough to fight that battle, no matter how many times you have a slip up like today."

Renee didn't say anything else, allowing herself to fall into her weaknesses and let you hold her close and support her.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.