Renee Montoya- Factory (a)

"Down!" Renee's voice could only be faintly heard in the ensuing chaos, you dropped to your knees as she rose her gun and pulled the trigger, taking out one of the masked assailants that had decided to try and sneak up on you. "Watch your back." She called out again as Renee wrapped the shaft of a baseball bat around the head of another and finally you were in silence.

"What are we even doing here?". You had received a job from somebody asking you to retrieve something from the warehouse, only it seems you weren't the only people contacted and you and Renee had been separated from Helena and Dinah.

"The docket said we... would know what it was when we saw it, it only mentioned... something about a note." She spoke clutching her side, the words fell out in between sharp breaths of stitch.

"Take a few minutes to rest up, I think we should be okay here. For a little bit anyway." Renee fell against a wall and brought her torch up to cut through the harsh darkness. "What is this place anyway? All I know is that it was some kind of factory or something. Can't be too interesting though."

"Didn't Joker use this place as one of his laughing gas factories?" As she ran her torch across the coated brickwork the feint faded outline of toxic green smiles could be seen, an echo into a somehow much darker part of Gotham's history before Harley and her puddin' parted ways.

"Wow..." The two of you couldn't help but stare with wide mouths as you saw more and more clues to the buildings past unveil themself. Hundreds, possible thousands of disappearing smiles, swirled eyes and crazed words of the clown prince. "Suddenly I want to get out of this place a whole lot more. We need to be careful, if this was the Joker's place there could be all sorts of traps. I say we forget the job, find a way to link back with Dinah and Helena and then go home."

"Do you know how much money was offered for this? A lot. More than we could manage to spe-"

"Hello..." A joyful, strained voice called out over the intercom, almost hidden by the whirring and stirring of old machinery starting up once more. "I said hello... can anybody here me, is this thing still working?"

"RENEE?! DINAH?!" You both called out, knowing now that this was all a rouse performed by the Joker himself and escape would have to be done very quickly.

"Congratulations, congratulations. You have been selected to be the very first employees for the grand opening of the Joker's production plant." A green haze rose from the floor. "We're going to make a killer profit."

~*~

Written by Aaron.