Helena Bertinelli- Wood (a)

Once again Helena crawled to her unsteady feet and leant on the chipped wall of the abandoned shed. It wasn't quite a shed, but there could be no risks taken in hiding Helena whilst you were training here, and this would be the best place to keep her undercover. You could see her big, hopeless eyes fill with water but in true Bertinelli fashion she pushed them back in a bid to hide any weakness from an enemy.

"How many times, you think some deadbeat wannabe mob don is gonna stop?" She brought her trembling finger up to wipe the stream of blood from her nose as your ploughed deeply into her sternum. She stumbled back onto her knees and clutched her chest tightly as her sliding boots kicked up a deft cloud of dust and gravel. "Stand up!" She brushed the debris from her jacket and rolled back onto her feet "I'm being paid good, clean cash for kicking your ass, so you'd best bet I'm fucking enjoying it." In a swift arc you swept her feet with your leg but for the first time she managed to stutter back and avoid it. "Don't act like you aren't pissed off at me... pissed off at everything. Take a swing, wherever you want, I can take it."

With the little energy she had left in her beaten and broken body, Helena wound her fist back and released it into your jaw, it barely moved your head to the side.

"I'm sorry." She slumped forward and you caught her deadweight frame in your arms.

"Get up." You lightly pushed her from you and she regained her loose composure. "Come on, you wont learn anything from this anymore." You pushed the slatted door open and let the suns rays flood the otherwise dark shed. You moved onto the lush waves of grass, before your face could enjoy the golden streams a discarded wooden plank had wrapped around your back, courtesy of Helena, and knocked you onto your hands and knees.

"I'm sorry." The trembling voice of Helena was hard to hear in between her shuddering breaths. She brought the wood high above her head and brought it down hard against the flat of your back.

"Don't... be." Your head hung against the grass as your stomach churned and your vision faded in and out. "I've been paid for worse, you did good."

~*~

Written by Aaron.