Cliff Steele- Sandwich (a)

Even though he could feel no pain and his metal joints could not ache, Cliff grunted heavily as he lowered himself down and onto his seat, his neon eyes could not help but look oddly sad as he watched you eat your lunch.

"You miss eating?" You asked as the last of your tuna sandwich made its way down your throat.

"It's definitely up there for things I regret taking advantage of when I was... normal. It's kind of surprising the number of things you miss when you get turned into a brain surrounded by a tin can." You moved your plate from your lap and brushed the soft crumbs from your shirt and onto the floor. "But still though, it's nice to be able to crush stuff I guess." His attempt at humour failed to cheer himself up and didn't really hit right with you. "It could be worse; I could be dead."

"Nobody here asked for what happened to them. Vic never asked to lose half of his body in an explosion, Rita never asked to be turned into an elastic blob and Jane... you don't even want to know."

"I get it, I'm not the only person bad things have happened to. What's your point?" The sofa creaked underneath the weight of his brassy chassis as he turned to face you.

"If you would let me finish. My point is this is obviously not the normal for you. You just woke up one day as the tin man, in a strange house and surrounded by people you don't know. But we all adjusted, and you will too."

"You can pass, Jane can pass, everybody but Larry can just stroll down into town and nobody would even bat an eye. I can't just put my hood up and hope nothing goes wrong, I'm heavier than most cars and can't walk without looking like I've had an accident. I'm never going to adjust to the fact that the only real part of me that I have left is my brain."

"You're still Cliff though, right?" The hardwood floor struggled under him as he slowly crept from the seat. "Just because you don't look how you did before, doesn't mean you aren't the same person. You still have the same memories, feelings, hopes, dreams."

"I think chief would have been better off if he took a rat and put it's brain up there instead of mine."

~*~

Written by Aaron.