Helena Bertinelli- Note (a)

Throughout your life in New York city, your parents always taught you it was never really a great idea to interact with the neighbors in your particular block. You were always assured that the were nothing but thugs and criminals, people to be forgotten when you moved out and on to your own place. But now you were in your own place, and you still didn't possess any great intent to converse with the people you passed in the hallway. They didn't seem like the friendliest bunch and it was always easier to just keep to yourself.

"Somebody new has moved into the apartment opposite." You told your old tabby cat as he jumped beside your freshly poured coffee. "I think I saw her looking at me earlier... she looks a bit angsty. Cute though." Purrs of contentment danced through the air as he wrapped his body around your warm hand. You peered over, through your open window and into hers, she must have sensed you looking as she pulled her nose from an old photobook and met your eyes.

Full of uncertainty she brought her hand up and waved across the street, over the overpriced taxis and filthy hot dog stands. You waved back and even your cat seemed eager to watch the events unfold. A few moments passed by with the two of you waving and smiling back and forth before she broke from the trance and pulled her window down.

She cupped her hands over her mouth and leaned from the window, shouting something that was lost amongst the orchestra that was the streets of New York.

"I can't hear you." You mouthed back. Excited to even talk to a neighbor that didn't seem happy to either murder you or rob you, you ran to grab your coat. You slid one arm through and turned to see if she was going to do the same.

She met your gaze with a crossbow, the arrow enthusiastic to fly towards you. You should have put your window up, moved out of the way, left the apartment – there was a lot of things that you should have done but you couldn't help just standing still.

You watched as she pinned a folded piece of paper to the tip of the arrow and fired. The bolt flew over your head and jolted into your wall.

"Sorry." You managed to make out over the traffic. Her crossbow gently met the floor and you were unsure if you had ever woken up that morning.

The arrow was firmly pressed into the wall, fortunately it didn't leave much of a mark in the lime green walls of your studios kitchen. You plucked the note from the head of the arrow and prayed it did not proclaim your head for a price.

"You seem nice, nicer than my other neighbors anyway. I wont be here for long, want to go for something to drink? Sorry about the whole crossbow thing, I didn't know how to speak to you. Maybe we can exchange numbers, it would save on the decorating."

~*~

Written by Aaron.