Alex Danvers- Thunderstorms (c)

As soon as you heard the crash of thunder, your head leapt from the pillow and sleep was a long-lost dream. You couldn't cope when it came to thunderstorms, even during the day you suffered terrible anxiety and panic but at night it was far too unbearable to suffer alone. Nevertheless, you tried to cope with it, to no avail, however. You couldn't help the tears that streamed down your cheeks or the pace in which your heart pounded against your chest.

You held out on waking up your girlfriend Alex, but you had to shake her awake when you finally admitted that you couldn't cope with the stress you were put under. She was groggy as she awoke but as soon as she saw the glisten of your tears in the moonlight, she gained clarity. One of the things that you loved about Alex was her compassion, if anything was even the slightest bit wrong with you, she would make sure that everything was fine before leaving the situation.

"What's wrong?" She whispered, sitting up next to you and flicking on the lamp.

Another strike of lightening and rumble of thunder left you jumping from your place on the mattress so that you were in Alex's arms and almost completely curled up into her lap.

"The storm?" She said, trying to keep her voice as calm and soothing as possible.

You nodded your head.

"It's going to be okay," she cooed, wrapping her arms tighter around you to make sure that you knew you were safe with her.

Alex let you calm your sobs even though they were reset with every piece of lightening and thunder, until you were able to form words again.

"Can you tell me what frightens you about them?" She asked in her calm tone.

"You know what happened to my parents," you croaked.

She nodded her head. You had told Alex most of the details about the night you became an orphan. Your parents had been driving down a country road with you in the back, when the storm was too much and led to the car colliding with a tree. Being stuck in a ditch with your dead mother and dying father, left you traumatised by storms and it only became worse at night.

"There was a thunderstorm that night," you said.

Alex offered you a sympathetic smile as she tightened her grip on your again, giving you a large squeeze and pressing her lips firmly against your forehead.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "But I promise you I will protect you now."

You didn't have the ability to smile at her, but the gentle nod of your head made Alex understand how much you appreciated her and how much you desperately needed her at a time like this."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.