Barry Allen- Dinner (c)

Another night where you were left at the dining table watching the other plate become cold as you slowly ate your dinner.

Your fiancé tried to come home for dinner every night, but between his day job, and his night job along with his inability to keep track of the time, he was late most of the time. Nevertheless, you cooked dinner for two every night without fail, just sometimes one serving would have to be reheated or binned.

No matter how frequently this occurred you never gave up hope, that maybe one day he would return home on time, but with everything he did, you didn't blame him.

Eating another mouthful of your dinner, you were shocked by your fiancé's appearance in the room. You were fully aware that he was the Flash, but when you had no preparation, it always took you by surprise. Dropping your fork to the table, you rested a hand to your chest as you tried to settle your breathing.

"Barry Allen!" You berated. "Why do you have to do that every time? Use the bloody front door like a normal person, not at the speed of light."

He smiled, laughing gently as he leant over your shoulder to kiss your cheek.

"I am sorry my Love," he chuckled. "I'll remember that next time."

"Of course, you will," you stated rolling your eyes knowing he wouldn't ever do that, he enjoyed it far too much.

He gave you a playful smile whilst you stood up from the table, wrapping your arms around him, wanting to be able to hold him close.

"I'm sorry I was late," he whispered kissing the top of your head. "I..."

He trailed off. Barry didn't like telling you about his work, he didn't like for you to know about all the darkness in the world, not unless it was completely necessary. You weren't naïve to the world, but you were grateful that he wanted to protect you.

"It's okay," you whispered into his chest.

He leaned away slightly still holding you in his arms. Slowly he raised your chin so that you could look him in the eyes.

"No, it isn't. I promise you that tomorrow I will be home in time for tea," he smiled warmly. "I promise you darling."

You reached a hand up to cup his cheek.

"I don't mind, I don't. You are doing so much for the world, you are doing so much good. I can't make you come home for dinner when the other option is that you are saving someone's life," you whispered leaning up to kiss him.

"Nevertheless, we will have dinner together at some point," he chuckled. "I just need to be better at time management."

You rolled your eyes at him.

"You'd think with your super speed you'd be able to get to places on time."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.