Chapter 285: Darkside

Shota was a different man...a year out of U.A. had hardened his heart.

He was now a man who put the mission first.

He took jobs that were often morally questionable in the overall execution and oftentimes it lead to him battered black and blue with his fists covered in blood.

Despite his words to his teacher when they talked about his career path back at U.A. he cut himself off from the Yuriemoto's agency, choosing the darker-side of hero work.

Working with government run agencies that operated solely with the intent of ending the careers of every Japanese Mafia member with the justice of a strong fist to the teeth.

If the conjoined agencies under Nobuyuki were the shadows of the Popular Pro Hero agencies...then Shota was working for the shadows hidden deep within the shadows.

It didn't matter if he was tasked in shutting down fight clubs, drug cartels, human trafficking rings, and black market dealings

It didn't matter if he was tasked in shutting down fight clubs, drug cartels, human trafficking rings, and black market dealings... as long as he succeeds in his mission nothing else mattered.

He learned early on that he can't save everyone...and if he were to stay alive sacrifices had to be made. It was inevitable, a lesson he learned with the deaths of his beloved parents, his mother Kanaria Yamada, and Shira-Kumo.

He killed his emotions during those missions.
Or else those memories would destroy him.

He'd stop the Mafia bosses whole careers with a single stare of his eyes. Going deep undercover was a part of his job. He'd dress accordingly playing the role given to him. The only stipulation he placed upon his employers was the gathering intel from unseemly means.

Unseemly meaning the prostitutes...he wouldn't go that far. Never. Akemi was his one and only, he'd never flirt let alone be unfaithful to her. If he was to get the intel then he'd do so by other means. He was one of the only few able to successfully pull it off without detection.

Given his obscurity within the hero scene his quirk was virtually unknown. So whenever he had to wear his hero outfit it was as if he were just another brawler or down on his luck patron in baggy black clothing wearing an overly large scarf.

Except those were often the days when he'd have to drag his bruised body back to Hizashi's apartment to get a shower and stitched up before changing out of his bloodied outfit in exchange for his spare one.
——————————————————————

Shota remembered the agency he was in service to back then. That agency dealt with the high risk interrogation and mental torture, and they did so by mostly pretending to be criminals. At least before brandishing their hero personas with their fists slamming into some unlucky souls jawbone.
——————————————————————