Chapter 207: The Origins of Saturday Night Karaoke

The Japanese ascetics of white walls, painted silkscreen doors, combined with the pagoda-like architecture of red terra-cotta roof tiles, and waving cat statues greeted everyone with a calming sense of relaxation.

Shota sighed softly and opened the door to the familiar Cafe. As soon as Shota entered and the door chime jingled the Cafe's owner smiled from behind the counter of pastries in the glass viewing cabinet. The ready and waiting espresso machines were behind her. Lady Ren smiled brightly as she looked up from the counter display shelves to greet them.

"Why if my ears haven't been accustomed to hearing that sighing of yours Shota then I would've missed out on greeting you both properly. It's been a while dearies."

Akemi smiled brightly at the woman as Lady Ren's white cat ears swiveled with every new noise. "Ah the pastries are almost done!"

A second later the oven timer went off and she took out the hot tray of pastries.

Her tail swayed side to side as she hummed to a tune within her head before handing the young couple two fresh pastries.

"On the house..." her eyes softened as she glanced at Shota. "It's good to see you Shota."

Shota nodded. "It's good seeing you too Mrs. Ren. Where's the Grumpy Cat?"

"The Grumpy Cat is right here!" Tamotsu looked down at the black haired teenager from the ladder he was standing on. His black cat ears were folded down in his irritation as he glowered slightly with a hammer in hand. He was hammering a banner to the wall.

Akemi read the Japanese characters and smiled brightly. "A Karaoke Event!"

Shota stared in surprise. "This place has always been so quiet and peaceful, not much in the way for noise except for Hizashi. Why the sudden change in atmosphere?"

Tamotsu pointed out to the Japanese garden the couple had created as a sanctuary to help the stray cat population. It seemed a little overcrowded.

"That's why. To many cats. We're raising money to get them spayed and fixed to stop overpopulation and to hopefully find them homes at the event."

Lady Ren spoke as she started making coffee for the customers that were already inside the Cafe. "We're all about helping the poor dearies but too many kitty's means overcrowding and fighting."

"Well I'm sure if we tell Mr. Yamada he can spread the word with his radio station."

"We'd love that thank you!"

Akemi grinned. "Actually I'd be open to singing at the event..."

Shota turned to Akemi. "You would?"

"Yeah! You should too Shota!"

Shota blanked. "No!"

"Why not you've got an amazing voice Sho?"

"I'm not one for publicity."

"Well neither am I but I'm still doing it."

Shota frowned with his lower lip stuck out slightly in a pout. "Nope not doing it."

"Well then can you play an instrument boy? I've got an old guitar in the back."

"Yeah I can play the guitar but it doesn't mean that I'm going up on stage."