The Shop Inauguration

Tilak and Renu sat for the Ganesh Pooja before the shop opening. The whole Varma family along with the kids were there. In addition to that Renu's parents, Vindhya's parents, Suman's parents, Amrit and family, Vaishnav and his nanu, were there.

Sreedhar looked up. The name " Rashee" was written boldly in front of the show and garlands hung over it.

" Murali Bhaiyya hope you are seeing this. Tell me Bhaiyya that you are here with us "murmured Sreedhar in mind.

A small drizzle started falling and a gentle breeze went past Sreedhar's face. Sreedhar closed his eyes feeling his brother nearby.

"Small drizzle, it is a very good omen Maheswariji " told Vindhya's mother.

" Yes Maheswariji it is like God's are happy with this " echoed Vaishu's nanu.

Soon the Pooja was over and Renu gave scissor in Maheswari's hand to cut the ribbon and open the shop.

Maheswari asked her three bahus to stand by her side as she cut the ribbon and the shop was formally opened. Everyone entered the shop and moved around.

" Sudhir Jethji where is Pooja didi. She is supposed to be our first customer right " asked Suman.

" I am very much here Suman" came in Pooja with reporters accompanying the district collector of Jaipur.

" So Vindhya give the saree to Pooja and Renu you collect money " told Maheswari. Vindhya gave the saree which Pooja had already selected from the collection and Pooja gave the money to Renu.

" Madam what is so special about this shop that you have become the first customer " asked a reporter to Pooja.

" This shop is very special to me. As you all know being the district collector it has always been my endeavor to fight the superstitions in the name of religion, work for the upliftment of women who are a disadvantaged lot due to various social and cultural factors prevalent in our society.

Today a very prominent family of Jaipur has taken the first step towards empowering the women folks of their family by starting a shop exclusively run by the daughter in laws of the family. More importantly the chief designer in this shop is a widow. In a culture which treats widows as inauspicious, a culture in which colors are not allowed near widows Maheswariji and Rajasekharji have allowed their bahu Suman to work that too in a field that deals extensively with colors.

So when Sudhir Varma placed the request of being the first customer for this shop I felt it is my duty as district collector of this city to attend this and spread the message across.

I want to tell everyone a very progressive first step has been made. Support the initiative wholeheartedly so that we see more such ventures in future and women are able to break the barriers of traditions and religion that chain them."

The Reporters took some photos and videos of the shop. Reporters wanted to question the family then Pooja told not to disturb them with unnecessary question. Still some questions were asked to the family, finally Sudhir managed to ensure the reporters went.

Then Maheswari distributed sweets to everyone. Then the families indulged in small talk. Though Vindhya's mother came and spoke to Suman, Renu's mother was distant. Bhavani spoke to Maheswari, while Anwesha tagged along Sreedhar asking this and that to him.

Soon Maheswari told leaving the three ladies to manage the shop everyone should leave for home where a small feast is arranged.

Bhavani hugged Suman and asked her to take care. The other family members also told goodbye as they moved to Varma Mansion. Suman looked on as Sreedhar went, he was not looking back. She felt sad and tried to concentrate on her work, but then just before he got in the car he turned back and winked at her. She smiled.