The Threshold

"Where is she". Asked Sreedhar. "She is here". Told his mother.

" Here. She was fine staying here. She didn't go with her parents. How did she trust anyone in her sasural that too given the conditions."

" I don't know beta. I simply don't know. Her parents had come. Your father had allowed her to go with them . But she refused to go. She plainly told them she does not want to come. Her father  tried to take her forcefully telling she will be mistreated here.

I stopped him, told him if she wants to stay here, she will stay here. Anyways the marriage had happened. She is our bahu. Our responsibility.Then her mother took her to the room to convince her why she should go with them. I had to go to terrace to check on vadams put for drying and while coming down I accidentally ended up hearing her shout. She was screaming behind the door telling she doesn't have any problem if we threw her on the streets and people pelt stones on her. She has no problems if she is driven away from the city. She will starve, she will die but she will not go back to her house. Their honor should now be restored and asked her mother to see the price of their honor as her white saree. Her mother went crying. 

I didn't ask the girl anything. What should I ask. But I feel did I make some mistake regarding her. I had liked her so much when I saw the photo so has everyone here. But before engagement I had asked Renuka and Vindhya personally whether they were happy with the marriage. But since she was out of station and since her parents convinced us we proceeded with engagement in her absence fixing up marriage also within a week as her father wanted it. I really don't know beta. Some mistake has happened. But it is far too late now. You know community. You know traditions. I can provide her shelter here. I wont throw her out nor would anyone in this family. How can I. She is hardly 20. But outside world is closed for her.

"Can I see her " Sreedhar asked. Yes. But don't expect her to talk. Told Renu. Sreedhar smiledSuman heard a knock on the door. She got up and opened the door. Renu Bhabi was standing. She gave a faint smile to bhabi." Suman your devar has come and wants to meet you. Will you come down dear "She had a devar too thought Suman. Where was he till now. She never remembered seeing him for the wedding when introductions were made. But she hardly remember. She followed Bhabi. When they reached down she saw a person turned away from her. He looked familiar. Her heart raced. It cant be. Her mind muttered. " Sreedhar" Renu Bhabi called confirming Suman's intuition. Sreedhar turned and looked into the face of the woman who was supposedly his bhabi. He freezed .

" Sreedhar we will marry. You don't know my father " said Suman" 

Suman you are only 2nd year BA. I will come with Baraat to your house" chided Sreedhar. 

He came back to present. She too was staring at him. Tears brimming her eyes and Renu Bhabi stood between them.