The Welcome

Bhavani was waiting eagerly from morning. Now and then she checked at the gate. She remembered the day when Suman's bidaai was happening. She remembered the tearful look her child had given her. Bhavani had felt it was her final goodbye. With handful of rice she took and threw back, Bhavani knew she was not blessing her home for prosperity to continue even after she was gone, but for it to engulf in flames the way she has been burnt. She remembered Suman falling on her father's feet, her brother's feet crying, begging not to marry her. The boy she loved was good. Just to look at him once. She still couldn't remember the name Suman told through her tears. How could she. Suman's voice was always drained in the slaps she got or in her cries when her legs were burned with tawa.

" Chachi " she came back to present hearing Devika. Devika and Jyothi were helping her in the kitchen as the other ladies were not so enthusiastic with what was happening. Jyothi had hinted to Bhavani about her issue and had asked her help. Bhavani had told her, she will do everything to help her and Pritam.

Suman was giving directions to Sreedhar towards her house. As they neared her house Sreedhar could see her voice stammered, from the side mirror he could see her hand trembling.

" Sumanji you know driving always give me beautiful memories " , he looked at her through the mirror. Suman saw his eyes asking her to calm down. Not to show panic attacks. Go back to some good memories. Suman closed her eyes allowing herself to feel Sreedhar's love. She remembered their pheras once again

They were in the sixth round. She was walking in front. Sreedhar told " I promise to share all your happiness and sorrows"

" I promise, in every action of yours I will provide my wholehearted support

" Sumi it is the last round. With this we are symbolically married. Shall we. We can still stop " told Sreedhar grinning.

" I didn't walk this much to leave midway. What is your problem. I am walking in front taking the responsibility of completing the rounds" she chided .

" My problem is you are walking in front, taking the thorns before me which I don't want " told Sreedhar.

" You took enough thorns by walking four rounds in front of me, now allow me" she laughed and they started the last round.

" I promise I will always remain your best friend and would make every effort to make our friendship true and eternal " told Sreedhar

" I promise your friendship will be over and above any other relation for me. I will go any extend to protect it. I will ensure our love also has the most beautiful friendship" told Suman

Now completing the seven rounds they stood in front of Maa Durga and prayed asking her to keep them together always

A smile was playing on Suman's lips as the van entered the premises of Rajput Haweli. She was not alone. She was with the person who had promised his eternal love and friendship to her.

Bhavani looked through the balcony as she saw Suman getting down with Adwaith and Sreedhar getting down with Namrata. As the four stood together Bhavani didn't know what to feel. It looked like a family. It was as if Suman had come with her husband and kids. Then she came back to present. What was she thinking. Sreedhar was a bachelor, Suman's devar. Already her sasural was doing too much for her. What kind of expectation she was having of seeing Sreedhar as her son in law. She should not be even thinking about that. She wiped her tears and hurried down.

Suman looked at Sreedhar. " Sreedhar in my house widows cannot enter through front, you go with kids, I will enter through back door."

Virender stood and observed his daughter as she started to go towards the backside. He looked at Sreedhar and what he was doing. But Sreedhar didn't say anything. He nodded to her and asked the kids to follow him as he moved towards the front door.

Virender had a smirk on his face. A feeling of victory. But then it was shortlived as Bhavani came outside and called Suman.

" Suman beta where are you going. Come this way. Your family will treat you the way you are treated in your sasural. I don't think you enter through back door in your sasural. So why should you enter here through back door. Come this way. Let me take aarti"

Suman looked at her mother stunned. From where she had got the courage. She looked at her father and Tauji. Both were standing silent though anger was evident in their face. Suman knew her mother was taking advantage of the presence of Sreedhar in front of whom her family will use the pretense of progressive thinking people.

She slowly walked towards the front door. When Bhavani took aarti Sreedhar and Suman were almost side by side. Bhavani put a tilak on Sreedhar and the kids and a kala teeka on Suman and invited them inside

Sreedhar touched her feet and she blessed him. " Beta you are coming here first time right. I wont leave you till you finish all the food I have made for you"

" Don't worry Aunty I will grant your wish" told Sreedhar grinning as Bhavani took Suman and kids inside. Sreedhar touched the feet of Virender and his elder brothers who were standing there. They all blessed him. Then Sreedhar asked

" Can I meet Dadiji. My Maa tells you always have to take the blessings of the eldest in the family"

Rajput men were stunned. Their mother was a widow. No one so far has gone directly into her chamber to get blessings. She never came out as tradition didn't allow. It was a different thing despite her widow status she ruled the house because she had five sons.

They looked at each other quizzingly, but they knew they will have to oblige Sreedhar.

" She is inside . You can go and meet her " told Virender finally

Kamala Devi looked at the boy who was touching her feet. It was a different thing her equation with Bhavani was not good. She believed in ruling her Daughter in laws. She believed in the fact having sons gave the woman power. She supported all the things that happened in the Rajput family in the name of tradition. But after she became widow not one of her sons had come to take her blessings, though her authority was approved. But this boy was asking for her blessing despite her status. She didn't know why, but she felt a sudden surge of affection towards him.

" Long live my son. May the Goddess of wealth Maa Lakshmi shower all her blessings on you" told Suman's dadi. Sreedhar smiled at her and then sat beside her. The men stood by the side stunned.