The Lullaby

Maheswari was tidying up the kitchen. It was her habit to check everything in kitchen before going to her room. She knew Renu would have done everything. But still Maheswari preferred a final check for an assurance.

As she came out she saw Suman coming down with some clothes.

" Suman what is this. Don't you want to sleep" asked Maheswari

" Maa I was not working for 3 days. Holi is coming. I have so much to finish. If I sit for 2-3 hrs now I can finish off the embroidery. Painting I will do tomorrow as I need to go to terrace for that" told Suman and sat on the floor leaning against the wall.

Maheswari sat beside her " Then fine I will sit with you"

" No Maa, no need. You please take rest. I am fine" told Suman

" Suman no issues. I don't want you to sit alone here. Let me bring Ramayana from the shelf. Long time I am thinking of reading Sundarakandam. You do your work. You know I enjoy reading Sundarakandam now and then. Whenever I feel like reading Ramayana I read Sundarakandam. My mother used to tell reading Sundarakandam brings auspicious tidings in the family"

Suman continued her work. Maheswari took her specs, bought the Ramayana and started reading. It was then that Sreedhar came out.

" Maa you are sitting here. I was coming to your room"

Maheswari raised her head from the book. " Why what happened. You have not slept yet"

" No, I want to sleep in your lap" saying it he kept his head on her lap. Maheswari caressed his hair.

" Maa sing lullaby naa. Long time you have sang lullaby for me"

Suman started laughing. Sreedhar looked at her " Why are you laughing Sumanji, Maa sings lullaby for me"

" Sreedhar you are grown up, she is amused a young man wanting to hear lullaby. Sleep quietly without behaving like a kid"

" Maa please Maa. Sing. If Sumanji hears it is fine. Afterall I am your chotu" Sreedhar made faces like a kid

Maheswari knew she cannot say no to him. She gently patted his back and began to sing

" Yasodha ka nandlala vraj ka ujala hai, mere lal se tho sara jag jhilmilatha hai

Yasodha ka nandlala vraj ka ujala hai, mere lal se tho sara jag jhilmilatha hai"

Suman looked at Maheswari and Sreedhar as her memory flew backwards

" Your mother still sings lullaby for you. Too much Sreedhar". They were in the terrace of the LH and Sreedhar had kept his head on Suman's lap.

" Why, why cant she sing for me. I am her laadla. After marriage also I will make her sing. Do you have any problem"

" I do not have any problem, if you go and sleep in your mother's lap. Only thing is that she should not tell that you are rushing to her because I am not taking good care of you" Suman made faces

" So tell directly naa you have problem if I go to Maa to listen to lullaby post marriage"

" You are mad Sreedhar. Taking unintended meaning out of words. I am not coming to your home to fight with your mother. I would prefer to have a cordial relation with her "

" I know Sumi you will have a good relation with her. I am sure my Maa will like you " he smiled

Suman came back to present as she felt the song has stopped. Sreedhar had slept in Maheswari's lap and Maheswari continued reading Ramayan. Suman continued with her work.

Maheswari had almost finished reading Sundara kandam when she felt heaviness on her shoulder. She turned and saw Suman had fallen asleep with needle and saree in her hand. Maheswari finished reading the Sundara Kandam. She took the needle and saree from Suman's hand and kept it aside. Then she made Suman sleep on other side of her lap. The girl didn't stir . She just clung to Maheswari. Maheswari looked at Suman and Sreedhar sleeping on either sides. She patted them gently closing her eyes. " I don't know what it is you are holding back from me Sree and Suman. But I know I will find whatever it is which will help me to bring you both together in the sacred relation of marriage" .

4>o