The Concern

When Vaishnav came to their room after freshnening up he saw Sreedhar in deep thought. It was as if he was confused

" Sreedhar uncle what happened. Is that Sourabh uncle you are worried about. but both the mamu's told naa if he does anything wayward they will take care"

Sreedhar looked at Vaishnav. He was not sure whether he should tell his concerns to Vaishu. Was he matured enough to understand it. Then he thought he was also more or less similar age when he took the photograph of Mahantji with Madhulika. He smiled when he thought about it. If Papa had known what he and Murali Bhaiyya did that day he would have broken both their legs and Murali Bhaiyya would have got more as he was elder. A 17 year old taking photograph of a man enjoying with prostitute.

" Sreedhar uncle you are smiling now, what happened. Share with me also naa" told Vaishu

Sreedhar told Vaishnav about his adventure as a teenager and they both had a hearty laugh.

" Now Uncle are you worried about Sourabh" asked Vaishu bringing the attention back to Sreedhar's thoughts

" Yes Vaishu I am concerned about Sourabh. He was behaving inappropriately with Sumi during dinner."

" Then why didn't you speak uncle, Jaidev Mamu or Jaydeep Mamu would have taken care of him."

" What I am supposed to tell Vaishu. Because I am behaving inappropriately with Sumi as far as the social status goes ."

" But uncle you love Suman aunty" told Vaishu

" But the truth is that for the society Sumi is my bhabi. If I open my mouth I am not sure whether anything will fall from my mouth inadvertently in anger. If Sourabh has hint of my relation with Sumi it doesn't matter I love Sumi or he lusts Sumi he will have the upper hand. Because I will lose the moral right of upholding values or relations as I too don't consider her bhabi. Never in my life I had thought my path will cross with Sourabh. As far as I was concerned he and Suyyash Bhaiyya travelled in parallel path, a path which I don't dare to look at."

" His elder brother is also like this" asked Vaishu

" Not as bad as him. He is married and it is said that once in a while to satisfy his lust he go to prostitute house. But Sourabh he has roving eyes. If he likes a woman well he tries to molest her. Some three years back it was heard that a girl had committed suicide as Sourabh had affair with her and when she became pregnant he left her. I don't know the details as many such things Maa doesn't speak to me as I deeply get affected by such things.

Vaishu now his eyes are on Sumi. And I am helpless in protecting her, making her wage a battle on her own. If things were normal I would have broken his arms and legs for what he tried to do to Sumi today. But I cant. I don't know what to do. She suffers for my sake in every step. And what Sourabh is trying to do to her is something very disgusting and I know she will be deeply affected even if he succeeds partially. "

" Uncle why are you worrying. I am there naa. I don't have to fake any relation with Suman Aunty. She is like Maa to me."

" Vaishu you are my responsibility. I wont allow you to take any unnecessary risks. You don't know Sourabh. He is a jerk" told Sreedhar

" Wait uncle. I am not going to break Sourabh's hands or legs. I am just putting a bodyguard for Suman Chachi "

"Bodyguard who "asked Sreedhar

" One sec" told Vaishu and went near the adjoining room and called " Aakash, Adwaith can you come here"

Adwaith was sleepy. Still he tagged along Aakash to Sreedhar's room

" What is it Vaishnav Bhaiyya. I want to sleep" stood the boy rubbing his eyes

" Adwaith Vaishnav Bhaiyya is going to give duty to you. Will you do it"

" What duty. Now, now I am sleepy " told Adwaith

" Not now from tomorrow. From tomorrow whenever Suman Chachi is alone you need to be with her. Never leave her alone and if you see Sourabh Chachu near her run and call everyone else in the house. When you run call loudly " Vaishnav Bhaiyya, Sreedhar Chachu" . Will you do it"

" Yes I will do it. I don't like Sourabh Chachu. He pinched my cheeks " told Adwaith

" Ok now you both go and sleep. Goodnight " told Vaishnav

" Vaishnav Bhaiyya don't worry. Even I will see if Sourabh Chachu goes near Suman Chachi" told Aakash

Once they went to their room Sreedhar looked at Vaishu " How did you.." he couldn't complete as he gave Vaishu a tight hug

Vaishnav sat on the bed " Sreedhar uncle life teaches you a lot. In childhood my mami used to put my youngest cousin behind me to ensure I don't take an extra jalebi or any other sweet from kitchen. If I try to take my cousin will shout Vaishnav Bhaiyya is taking sweet and my mami will come running. She will snatch the sweet dabba from me. What to do. I was also a child right. When every other child gets 3 or 4 sweets and I get only 1 it was natural for me to want 1 more. But then as time went by I learnt what the other children got was not for me. I was not their sister's son, but a beggar whom they threw bread crumbs."

" Now you don't worry. Even if Sourabh Uncle questions Adwaith he will only tell Vaishnav Bhaiyya told. And if that Sourabh Uncle comes and question you just defend me. No relation needs to be faked. Shall we sleep" asked Vaishu

" Yes Vaishu" told Sreedhar as he switched off lights. But then sleep eluded him. He looked at the sleeping Vaishnav. If on one hand he heard the exploitation of Suman, Vaishu was also another symbol of exploitation. He felt exploitation was not about gender though it felt that way, but it was about power. "

Suman looked at a sleeping Rakhi. After talking to her about college life Rakhi finally had fallen asleep. But Suman was unable to sleep. On one hand there was Sourabh but her real concern was Sreedhar. She knew he will be cursing himself for what was happening to her during dinner. Then the thought of going to Ria didi's place filled her heart. She felt happy thinking about meeting her friends and atleast temporarily she stopped thinking about Sourabh.

u0sB