The Doubts

Maheswari paced in her room. Rajasekhar had slept . It was getting complicated. She very well remembered the name Ria Vindhya told when she had come back from Sreedhar's medal ceremony in Delhi. Ria was not Suman's friend, but Sreedhar's friend. She was Sreedhar's batchmate. In all probability she had known the news of Suman from Sreedhar himself. Then sent her family to invite Suman as she might have thought Sreedhar can come some other way but Suman cannot go without permission from me.

Or is that Ria was really Suman's hostel mate and Suman knew Sreedhar through Ria. That was a possibility she couldn't rule out. And maybe Ria is a good friend of Sreedhar Suman knows something about Sreedhar and Sreedhar knows something about Suman. But whatever it is they don't want the family to know. Sreedhar beta what is that you don't want your mother to know about you but it seems Suman knows clearly. Suman what in the world you have lost by your marriage to Murali. Why you both don't want to tell you knew each other in college. 

Is it because your education is stopped Suman. Give me some time Suman, I will find someway so that you can complete your graduation. Just trust me enough and open your heart. But I know you wont. You have been scarred as your parents themselves broke your trust and is it that Sreedhar fears if he lets us know what kind of a girl you were in college we might not like it. Maybe you were not this demure, quiet girl, but lively and active and to some extend headstrong too. Wish my son understands how much I like you Suman. I had always liked you from the day I saw your photo and had wanted you as my bahu. Only thing I didn't know then with whom you should be paired.

Tilak was thoughtful in bed. Renu sat beside him. " Tilak what happened. We should be happy naa if Maa wants Suman to start afresh with Sreedhar "

" Renu it is fine Maa wants it but for me the problem is are we doing the right thing to Suman. I mean couple of days back I saw the girl covering herself with her pallu when Sreedhar gazed at her. I was sure Sreedhar gazed. Is she understanding the gaze , feeling uncomfortable, but decides to be silent as we have been nice to her"

" Tilak Suman always covers herself with pallu when she goes outside with some male member of the family. Infact we woman always do it. It need not be she is aware or uncomfortable. By the way how can she say no to Sree. What does he lack. Girls stand in line for him" asked Renu

" Renu the problem is for Suman Sreedhar is her devar. If she had seen him through that lens and if we are asking her to change that lens and see him as her life partner it can be difficult for her. I don't want her to accept it as a return favour. So please check out on Suman, what she feels about Sree"

" Ok Tilak I will look into it, but then only little time now as work for Rashee is starting right. I am refreshing myself with accountancy and now the computer class will start "

" I know Renu, but I just asked you have this in mind" told Tilak and Renu nodded

" Sudhir will you stop overthinking. I feel Maa knows about Sree-Suman and doing this just to see how other family members react " told Vindhya

" Vindhya it doesn't add up. If Maa knows Sree-Suman atleast she would have talked to me or Tilak Bhaiyya. If she is testing whether her hunches are right, this is not the method. For me it looks Maa is trying to play the cupid for Sree-Suman and it looks very odd" told Sudhir

" What odd" asked Vindhya

" Why would a mother wants to marry her darling son, who is very much an eligible bachelor to his widow bhabi. What is the problem. There is something which Maa is hiding. Vindhya I want you to know that before Sree-Suman comes back from Jodhpur. Because once they come back you will be busy with " Rashee " and then no time. If Maa is hiding something we never know when it will boomerang and if not prepared everything will be lost "

Vindhya looked at her husband's tensed face and gently kept her hand on his chest " Sudhir if you really feel there is something Maa is hiding I will try to find it out, but then I don't have much time. You know May 1st week is Priti's child's namkarann and I am going to Maayka and will be there for couple of weeks "

Priti was Vindhya's niece and Sudhir remember Vindhya had told him she needs to go to her Maayka. He had agreed to be there for Namkarann ceremony and she had told she will be there for sometime

" What about Nami then. She is all excited to go to Jodhpur" asked Sudhir

" Let her go to Jodhpur " told Vindhya

"Why Vindhya your parents will wish to see her right. I guess it is about a year you went to your Maayka" asked Sudhir

" Sudhir I will take her sometime when only my parents are there. Not in between these ceremonies when people are there" told Vindhya turning away from him

" Vindhya what are you hiding from me. There is some reason you don't want to take Nami to your Maayka. What is that"

Vindhya looked at her husband not sure whether to tell him or not. " Vindhya tell me. What is the issue"

" I don't want our daughter to come and ask her Papa is it because she was a girl, her Papa choose her mother and not her when a choice was given to him"

" Did somebody..." Sudhir sat heavily on the bed. Vindhya sat beside him

" No one had told her anything yet. But you know Asha Bhabi right. She and her gender specific rules. She doesn't like Nami's free minded chatter, neither my status here irrespective of having just a daughter. Last time she passed a comment in front of Nami that your mother is selfish and she is holding your Papa. Nami ate my head what does holding means. Then Murali's marriage was fixed and in the resulting melee the 8 year old forgot it. But if she hears something else this time, she might come and question. Sudhir 9 is not the age to know certain things. She doesn't know the gender disparity and when suddenly someone tells something it can break her. Some people have no idea what to talk in front of kids. Asha Bhabi is like that and now with Priti having a son her tongue will wage.I don't want her to be broken nor I want you to face such a harsh question from your child. Let such knowledge come to our child when she grows up, is able to communicate in a better manner and understand her Papa on why he did what he did. I was worried on taking Nami and thankfully the Jodhpur thing happened.For me the best option now is to keep her away from toxic environment " . Sudhir embraced Vindhya in a tight hug " I don't know Vindhya what I would have done without you"

" You would have gone to US " she chided him smiling through tears