Mahasivrathri

It was Mahasivrathri. The Varma house didn't had any festive atmosphere. Sudhir came to Maheswari

" Maa my friend Sanjay has called me and Vindhya for lunch today. I was thinking if I could take Suman and Poornima along. Sanjay's sister Neeti wanted to meet Suman and discuss with her some design and embroidery for the clothes of her fashion show in college. Poornima said she wanted to meet Neeti as Neeti had prepared for law entrance"

" Fine Sudhir you all go, you are not taking Nami"

" Nami wanted to go with Aakash and Adwaith for the carnival happening near the Mandir. So let Tilak Bhaiyya or Sreedhar take them"

It was almost noon when Suman and Poornima went along with Sudhir and Vindhya to Dr Sanjay's house.

It was evening and time for aarti. Sudhir, Vindhya, Suman and Poornima had not returned. When she called Sanjay's house Sanjay told that they left 1 hr ago and were telling on the way they will go to mandir and be back. But Maheswari was perturbed. Her heart was racing, just like it had raced the night before Murali's wedding. She was worried and paced up and down.

" Sreedhar go and check in the mandir. Tell them to come back fast " told Maheswari

" Maa you are worrying unnecessarily. They will come " told Tilak

" Tilak you keep quiet. Sreedhar I tell go and check " . Then they saw the car coming. But only Sudhir and Vindhya got down from the car.

" Sudhir where is Suman and Poornima" asked Maheswari

" Maa they are with Sanjana and Neeti in the market. Neeti took Suman to buy some things. Poorni

went along. Since we thought you will be worried we came back " told Sudhir.

" Ok, Sanjana will drop her right"

" Yes Maa, Sanjana has come in their car, she said she will drop Suman and Poorni on their way back"

" Fine then, let us start evening aarti"

They started the evening aarti. Maheswari had prepared a garland and offered milk to the Lord. Then they did they aarti and was about to distribute the milk as Prasad and they heard a commotion outside.

When the Varma's went outside they saw a large crowd coming shouting slogans like " Catch the witch " .

" We should have known that Suman Varma is a witch and the other girl who bought widows to temple she is the bigger witch. We have to stone Suman Varma and Poornima Varma. They are witches"

Maheswari was stunned. What was happening. But as they saw a line of fire happened in front of Varma's house and the crowd had to stand in behind that.

But then some throw stones at the house breaking the window pane and some members tried to enter the house from behind. But then they were shot with arrows. Then somehow some members managed to enter. To the family that stood stunned they started ransacking the house moving from room to room in search of Suman and Poornima.

Finally an exaseperated man asked " Where are they. If you don't bring them we will put this whole house on fire. Nobody will survive. Protecting the witches. Even if they go in any part of the world we will find them "

Rajasekhar was terrified, Maheswari rattled but Sudhir looked calm, composed

" What have they done for you to call them witches " asked Sudhir

" What have they done. You know after having Prasad the children have developed boils in their body. Sant guru is telling it is Prakop of Mahadev for allowing widow to temple. Else how can the boils come so fast. Children are crying in pain. He told unless the witches are caught and stoned the problem wont go"

" Do you want to save the children or stand here to get witches. If you are really concerned for the children take them to Somalatha Devi's ashram. Your children will be cured there. It is not Prakop of Mahadev. It is poisoning. If you have the guts go and find who poisoned the Prasad given for the kids"

The crowd looked startled as they heard the loud clear voice. Dinakar was standing. They bowed in front of him.

" But Dinakarji our kids"

" I said go to Somalatha Devi's ashram, the cure for your children is available there. Suman and Poornima are not witches. It is poison " he reiterated

Many woman in the crowd began to run, to take their children to the place Dinakar mentioned. Dinakar assured Sudhir. Some men told " We will wait here till we know the kids are cured. This family should not escape "

" You can very well stand as much as you want. Everyone else please come inside. Sudhir directed Vindhya and she brought everyone inside as Sudhir bolted the door.

It was then that Maheswari looked around and saw that Sreedhar was missing " Sudhir where is Sreedhar, where is Suman, where is Poorni"

Sudhir made his mother sit " Maa just understand that they are safe, very much safe and I will bring them back when this problem is solved and the election for MA is completed day after tomorrow"

" Sudhir you knew .. " asked Tilak

" Bhaiyya I knew what I was doing. And do you think I would proceed with something if I didn't had the plan to protect our family members. You standing for election is essential Bhaiyya. We will talk later. But for the time being just trust me". Tilak hugged Sudhir.

" You didn't get Suman Varma and Poornima Varma" Mahantji was screaming

" Mahantji we don't know where they are " told a man

" What do you mean by we don't know " asked Rawat

" They are not in the house. Our men searched the entire town. But we couldn't find them. Also the children are getting cured in Somalatha Devi's ashram. Dinakarji is telling people it is not Prakop but poison mixed in Prasad"

Mahantji slammed his fist. How could this happen. How could he miss the indigenious plan of Sudhir Varma. How did he underestimate Sudhir Varma. He knew where Suman and Poornima will be, but then now it was impossible to reach them. They had to think something in the next 1 day or else everything was lost "

He paced up and down as Rawat started shouting " I told Mahantji beware of Sudhir "

" Keep quiet Rawat, allow me to think something. Remember we have only one day. " Rawat stood silent.