The Discipline

" Aakash what is this. How would Renu Bhabi have felt when Sobha Mausi called her and told about you. I told naa beta bear with some things" Suman sat beside a crying Aakash.

" Chachi how do you expect me to be quiet. First of all Poornima didi was insulted. Then at their place they asked Nami to get up. How I am supposed to eat when my kid sister is made to stand. You know she had tears in her eyes. Sreedhar Chachu didn't tell anything. I am angry with him also. Why did he allow Sobha Dadi to behave that way with Nami. If she grows up and like Poornima didi wants to be with ladies fine. But she is child right" told Aakash between sobs

" Fine you spoke up for your sister. Why did you disturb Pakki . Decisions such as marriage is taken by elders Aakash, why did you interfere" told Suman swallowing her own pain. She knew she wouldn't have been able to bear if she had seen Pakki trying to be close to Sreedhar.

" Chachi if that Pakki didi comes as Sreedhar Chachu's wife what will be the condition of Poornima didi in our house. Everyone will say tolerate her naa telling she is family just like you are all asking me to tolerate Sobha Mausi. How much she will insult Poornima didi and Anu Maa. What about you Chachi. She will also insult you right. Will she give you the respect of Bhabi. No. She wont. No one from that house will give Suman Chachi. And you are blaming me. What did I do wrong ."

Suman didn't know what to tell him and she thought for a while before answering his question " Aakash what did you tell about Pakki didi now. That she wont respect Poorni or me. How did you arrive at that decision. Did you speak to Pakki"

" No, but look at how everyone in that house is behaving" told Aakash

" So Aakash beta based on how the people in that house behaved you decided Pakki's character. Am I right" asked Suman

" Yes Chachi " told Aakash

" So based on how you behaved wont they judge your Maa and your Suman Chachi. Wont questions come on what kind of upbringing your Maa gave you. Wont question come on how Suman Chachi is taking care of you when your Maa is not there. "

" But Chachi how would they.." then he stopped looking down

Suman held his face up " Aakash beta you were a guest there. You should have behaved the way your maa has taught you to behave in that circumstance. Else the questions will come to your Maa. If you had felt uncomfortable about something you could have told Sreedhar Chachu or me once you were back. Wouldn't we have addressed your concern. If you have a problem with anyone outside the family beta don't explode there, come into the fold of family and speak. We all are there for you" told Suman

Meanwhile Rakhi and Raji bought Nami and Adwaith also. Suman looked at them. They both rushed to her " We are sorry Chachi. We wont repeat " told both of them.

" Chachi next time if someone ask me to get up and stand with girls I will get up. I wont cry" told Nami

Suman looked at Aakash. " Come speak to your Maa. She will be worried for you"

Renu picked the phone when it rang and Aakash apologized to her then Renu spoke to Suman and asked everything is fine. Suman told Renu not to worry about anything. They all are fine.

Soon the crowd that had gone out also came back munching salted peanuts and distributed to everyone. Sreedhar looked at Suman asking how things are and she indicated everything is fine.

It was post dinner the phone rang at Varma house. Maheswari picked the phone. It was Sobha at the other end.

" Hello didi is dinner done" asked Sobha

" Yes Sobha dinner is done and your jeeju has gone to sleep also" told Maheswari

" Didi don't feel bad if I tell something" told Sobha

" Sobha if it is about Aakash I am sorry for what happened. I apologize on his behalf. Just forgive him as he is a child "

" No no didi Aakash I have forgotton. I also know he is a child. Afterall Namrata is his sister. But I spoke to Renu because you know how my husband is right. I called you to speak about your widow bahu" told Sobha

" Suman what did she do. She didn't even come to your house right" asked Maheswari

" You know I wont entertain widows like you didi. But I just want to tell you beware of her. Our Sreedhar is naïve. And your bahu is young. You never know the way I see her behaving with Sreedhar I am not comfortable didi."

" Sobha why did Pakki prepare puris and gajar ka halwa for Sreedhar " asked Maheswari and she felt a pause at the other end.

" Didi why are you thinking too much into that. It is just that my devar wants to proceed the alliance of Pakki with Sreedhar. What is wrong with that. Pakki is 16, fair and beautiful"

" Sobha you didn't answer my question. Why did Pakki prepare puri and gajar ka halwa for Sreedhar"

" Didi that was what I was telling"

" Did I give her the right to prepare puri and gajar ka halwa Sobha" this time Maheswari's voice was stern

" Didi you are making mountain out of a mole hill.. "

" If I am making mountain out of a mole hill, then let me tell you Sobha you are also making mountain out of a mole hill as far as Suman's interaction with Sreedhar goes. Let me be very clear. Till now I have not given any girl any right to prepare puris and gajar ka halwa for Sreedhar. The day I decide I will let you know. I would prefer no one else take that decision on behalf of me"

Sobha didn't know what to tell and she only mumbled as she kept the phone " Fine didi, I will tell devar"

Maheswari too kept the phone but her thoughtslingered on both Suman and Sreedhar. 1KG/