What do you know

" Bauji Pritam had come here last week to give my daughters transfer certificate. Why do you think he will come here if he has to protect his daughter. Doesn't he know Jodhpur and Jaipur are the places you will be searching for him" told Devika to Viren who had come with some henchmen of Rajputs.

" Devika where are your daughters" asked Viren, he was hoping to get some information from children as he found his daughter hard nut to crack.

" They are at Suman's place Bauji. Children from her family came and called them for playing. They will come by evening " told Devika.

Viren clenched his fists. He knew he cannot go to Varma Mansion. What will he tell them. But Devika also had the point. Pritam will never choose Jodhpur or Jaipur as he himself will know he is traceable. Now where in Rajasthan he will search him as he knew Pritam didn't know the world outside Rajasthan and with a pregnant wife he wont risk going to unknown place.

Viren took the lassi Devika gave and looked at his henchman who retreated. Devika watched his father's slow walk and heaved a sigh of relief. As he got into the car Viren's only thought was how would they defend Pritam ditching the family. As he thought he couldn't find anything. He thought the only thing could be to label him as black sheep and ensure more tight control on the family members so that such things don't repeat.

Tilak and Poorni took leave from the Varma Mansion. They were going to Raipur. Sreedhar said he will drop them to bus stand as Sudhir had gone to Gurgaon. Sreedhar had still not started going to work though he was more or less fine. Tilak told they will take the driver, but Sreedhar insisted and Tilak relented.

As the car moved out of the driveway Maheswari was lost in thoughts. She had wanted to ask Sreedhar where did he go last night hurriedly. Again where did he disappear early morning. But she didn't ask. She was slowly coming to the realization her Sreedhar was not someone she always believed she knew. He was something else. She knew that he loved his family a lot. But there was something more to him, something beyond his immediate family that affected him. She moved to her room and took an old album flipping through it till she came to a photograph where teenage Murali and Sreedhar were sitting in midst of Diwali Diyas.

" Murali what is happening here. Where is Sreedhar" came out Maheswari hearing a commotion in the neighborhood. What she saw was Murali asking for a ladder to the lady of the house.

" Maa Sreedhar is on the mango tree. We were coming home from market. Then suddenly a dog came behind Sreedhar. He ran and the gate of this house was open, so he thought if he enter the house dog wont follow him. But dog followed him and he climbed the tree. Now he is afraid to come down. So I need a ladder.

Maheswari looked up and saw the twelve year old Sreedhar sitting on a branch. He looked visibly shaken.

" Maheswariji your boys are lying. Your son climbed the mango tree to take mangoes " told one woman.

" Maa why should we take mangoes from here. We have two mango trees in our garden and there are enough mangoes in it too" told Murali .

" Nirmala what Murali says is true. We have two mango trees and why should Sreedhar climb the tree in another house for mangoes. If you cant get him ladder, I will send one through the servant" told Maheswari.

" Arrey give the child ladder. He looks shaken "told another lady.

Finally the ladder came and Sreedhar got down.

Maheswari came back to the present and she stared at the picture of her boys. They looked similar and sometimes people had asked whether they were twins. Sreedhar's smile and sharp defined features differentiated them.

" What did you know about your kid brother Murali which your Maa doesn't know. Was it that day your brother climbed to pluck mangoes and when some lady saw you both invented the dog story to fool everyone. Whether you always told the truth Murali or your played the music your brother wanted everyone to hear and believe. Your Dadi had kept your name Murali because she was very much thankful to the doctor who treated you as you were a premature child. But none of us would have realized how much symbolic your name will be when your younger brother came by."

She caressed the face of Murali in that photo as a tear rolled down her cheeks and fell on the photo.