The Fight, The Deal

Suman was silent throughout the journey, but Sreedhar could see she was both angry and hurt. As soon as they reached home, Suman opened the back door and took Adwaith out. She held him by hand and began to walk briskly.

" Sumanji listen to me.. "

" Now what Sreedhar. What was the need for raising hungama in the party"

" I only asked her to apologize to you. But then she went overboard and you expect me to keep quiet listening to it"

Suman continued walking holding Adwaith " What was the need to ask her to apologize. It is not the first time someone is calling me Chudayil and it wont be the last time. Matter would have ended there"

They were in hall now and other family members including Maheswari came out hearing the loud noises

" Maa had asked to protect the honor of bahu of Varma family and I was only doing that"

" Ok so to protect my honor you can call Naina empty headed and High maintenance package. Is that the way you protect a woman's honor, by insulting another woman"

Family members were stunned as they heard Suman and Sreedhar arguing so openly.

" So her insult to you was fine"

" That is what I said why in the world you had to create hungama for her calling me a Chudayil. Now again community meeting, threat to business. Sreedhar if I had known Murali's younger brother will come and create this hungama I would have gone from here the day my Papa had come to take me. Alas I didn't even know Murali had a younger brother" . She ran taking 2 stairs a time trying hard to suppress her tears. Vindhya tried to follow her but Maheswari stopped.

" Go, I only create hungama. Nobody asked you to come down to push me away from the falling chandelier. You could have just shouted. When you do it, it is for protection. When I do it, well creating hungama. Talk about double standards. Only you woman suffer. We men don't have any feeling right. No should not feel" he walked to his room and banged the door shut.

People heard another loud thud as Suman slammed her door shut. She looked the Tedy in her bed.

" You have problem because I care too much for you. Sit here. This place suits you. Then you will learn manners" she took the Tedy and placed it on the table and sat in the bed, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Sreedhar slammed his fist against the wall. What was her problem. What wrong did he do for her to get worked up like this. That too making him responsible for the community meeting or whatever.

Sudhir tried to go to Sreedhar's room, but his mother's look told him she expected everyone in the hall.

Maheswari turned to Adwaith " Chotu what happened to your chachu and chachi. Why are they fighting "

" A bad aunty came. Bad aunty tried to take me. I cried. Then she took chachu by hand and sat next to Chachu. Suman Chachi placed me on top of the table to have food. Then one uncle came to meet Suman Chachi. Chachi was speaking to him. I played with curry. Curry splashed in bad aunty's dress. Bad aunty scolded Suman Chachi. Chachu asked bad aunty to say sorry to Suman Chachi. Bad aunty again scolded Suman Chachi. Sreedhar Chachu scolded bad aunty. Then a big bad uncle came and scolded Sreedhar Chachu, Suman Chachi and took bad aunty away"

Renu, Vindhya saying it Maheswari looked at them. Vindhya and Renu guided the kids upstairs. Once the kids including Poornima was gone Maheswari looked at everyone. There seems to be a problem. We yet don't know what it is. We only know a girl is involved. I don't think neither Sreedhar, nor Suman is in a position to speak now. It is better we discuss this tomorrow.

As she was speaking the phone rang. Rajasekhar picked up the phone and as he listened to the phone his face grew grim. He kept the phone and then turned to face the family.

" Who called " asked Maheswari

" Shashank Rawat. Sreedhar should have known he is the head of Jaipur Merchant Association. He has told he is going to take up with the members that Sreedhar Varma has insulted his daughter publicly and he is also cutting all business ties with us"

" Now what does that mean " asked Maheswari

" That means we are in trouble business wise. Merchant association takes public insult of woman and all seriously unless we can prove it conclusively that it was the lady who was at fault. And we might be banned. Banned from Merchant association is really bad for our business as it will be difficult for us to do our business in Jaipur. I would say near impossible. Also if he cuts the business ties with us we will lose 30-40% of our business straight way" told Rajasekhar

" Is there no way this can be settled outside the Association"

" Yes if we agree for the marriage of Sreedhar and Naina and we have to tell before tomorrow noon" told Rajasekhar.

" What kind of an option is it" asked Maheswari

" That is the only option Maheswari if we want to save the business at this point. Sreedhar should have thought of the repurcussions before talking whatever he talked" told Rajasekhar

" Better you hang me Papa than making me marry that Chudayil . All your problems will be solved " came in Sreedhar from his room. Maheswari gave a slap to her son.

" I didn't teach you to speak this disrespectfully to your father. There are elders to take decision. Go inside and stay put " Sreedhar looked at his mother hurt, but went inside without telling anything.

" Rajasekhar I don't know the details of the incident, but I will get it. But I know one thing. The 4 year old child has called Naina a bad aunty. If a child feels her bad, that only means one thing. She is not fit to be bahu of this house, nor wife of my son. Enough deals have been made. I don't know how much business will suffer. But to me my son's life and the peace of this house is more important. To protect business I don't want a girl like her inside thrown at me to manage. You have 2 grown up sons. Tilak and Sudhir, I don't know what you are going to do but let me make one thing clear. I want to keep Naina Rawat out and I clearly mean it "

Before Rajasekhar could say something Maheswari walked to Sreedhar's room.

" Tilak Bhaiyya call Shashank Rawat and tell him to move his accusation with Merchant Association " told Sudhir

" Sudhir what you are upto, you don't even know what happened" told Tilak

" Tilak Bhaiyya I know Naina called Suman Chudayil. Rest details we will get. But for my plan that word is enough. You call and tell Shashank Rawat"

"Sudhir" Rajasekhar tried to speak. " Papa nothing is more important to me than my brother's happiness and it is very clear to me his happiness is not with Naina. You tell Tilak Bhaiyya" Tilak nodded and took the telephone.

As Maheswari walked to Sreedhar's room Suman's words rang in her mind. If she had known Murali had a younger brother she would have gone with her father. Then her tears when she had seen Sreedhar for first time. Does Sreedhar and Suman know each other. Did Suman never wanted to face anyone from her college, Does Sreedhar doesn't want to bring any college memories to her so he is keeping quiet. She has to observe them as she gently opened her son's room door.