The Couple Talk

Renuka sat beside her husband in the bed. She knew he was in one of his worst moods. Papa never let go an oppourtunity to taunt him without even understanding what it is doing for him. She understood Maa as Maa didn't know Tilak's secret so whenever Papa bought the topic she wondered. But Papa he knew, he knew the hurt that resides inside Tilak. The wound which is not healed. Why he had to cut open it again and again.She gently touched his arm. " Tilak please you cannot change things"

" I could have Renuka, I could have if I had not trusted that stupid priest. The great Mahantji who roams around calling the upholder of tradition. He took money from me and married me and Anu and then he took money from dadu and sold the information to him"

" Ok Tilak maybe you could have changed Anu's fate. But still Sudhir's fate wouldn't have changed right"

" It would have Renuka, if I had managed to get out, atleast Sudhir could have rebelled"

" Really Tilak would he have when Dadu gives him the same option he gave you"

Tilak looked at her " If you don't forget the fact that you married Anusree Patel and marry Renuka Solanki as I want, your father will be disinherited from the will. You will lose business and your father along with your mother and 2 kid brothers would have to move out from his house never to come back" his dadu's voice rang in his ears.

" No Sudhir wouldn't have allowed Murali and Sreedhar along with mom on streets. He wouldn't have." Tilak had to accept

Tilak turned towards Renuka " Renu you have been very kind to me. I really mean it Renu. I didn't deserve Anu or you. Renu I want to ..

" You want to find her and you want to know whether you have a son or daughter elder to Aakash and give the child your name. Tilak if the baby exists as you believe it exists, if your faith that Anu wouldn't have aborted your child is true we will find it and we will give the child your name. I will be with you Tilak this time, let whatever or whoever oppose. If the child comes the surname Varma will be given to it. "

He kept the hand on her the woman who had told him to leave her and go for his love when she discovered Anu was carrying and she was outcasted. An information which both his dadu and Papa had managed to hide from him, but Renu the new bride managed to know when some ladies who came for her Mukh Dikhayi talked.

Renu was his balm. One who understood him with his limitations. Tilak couldn't go that day, because along with his mother and 2 kid brothers if he followed his love he will be bringing his newly wed wife also to the streets, as a married woman's place was her sasural if her husband was alive. Still he had gone questioned his Papa and Dadu and he was showed a hospital form in which he read Anu had aborted the baby. His Dadu told they took the money from him and did it. Yes it looked practical for Anu considering the situation, but somewhere in his heart Tilak believed Anu wouldn't have destroyed the symbol of their love.He pulled her close and Renu kept her head on his shoulders. Over the years Renu had earned a respect from Tilak for loving him unconditionally and Renu respected Tilak also for being truthful to her.

Sudhir was reading paper and Vindhya was removing her jewellery. " Sreedhar loves Suman right Sudhir " asked Vindhya to a startled Sudhir. He looked at Vindhya astonished. How did she..

" Thinking how did I know Sudhir. Because I saw something in Sreedhar's eyes for Suman, which I have never seen in your eyes for me"

" Vindhya.."

" You don't have to tell me Sudhir. I know you have accepted me. You have been loyal to me. As a husband you have kept me and our child comfortably. But the truth remains that you couldn't completely love me. Sreedhar loves Suman passionately and to be frank she too loves him with that passion which maybe even I don't have loved you with. Their love is withstanding the brutal assault society had given them Sudhir. Your brother wont leave her and she will go any extend to protect his honor. Else which couple could stay apart being in the same house, with lot of oppourtunity to do what they want, elope if they wish as it is very clear marriage was forced on Suman.Sreedhar and Suman has got lot of courage and belief in their love to challenge the society by fighting within the society"

Sudhir got from the bed and went near her. He held her shoulders " Vindhya so you were joking with us yesterday"

" Sudhir I always was checking whether you understood your brother's feelings. I understood it the day Sreedhar and Suman saw each other. I remember which college she studied Sudhir. AR college same college as Sreedhar. Your brother never told anyone he knows Suman and what is he calling her Sumanji. Not once bhabi. Why, has anyone thought. I had checked multiple times with you, I knew you had doubts. Yesterday I was sure you knew it when you asked Sreedhar to put that medal on Suman's neck. Poor girl to her that medal was Sreedhar and I could see she was feeling him. By the way what did Sreedhar tell you today. I know you took him to talk.

For the first time Sudhir admired his wife, her intellect which many times he had equated with academic excellence though Vindhya many times had proved him wrong with her wits and understanding. He made her sit on the bed and told the complete story. " So what do we do now" asked Vindhya. " Sreedhar will plan and we will have to support him and keep your mouth shut ". Vindhya pushed him " Sudhir sometimes this bak bak does deliver results ok " . Sudhir pulled her towards him and for the first time in 10 years of married life Vindhya felt a warmth she had never felt before in that hug.

Suman was in balcony. Sreedhar was under the lamp shade. With sign language she asked what did Sudhir Jetji ask. Sreedhar told her in same language he had told Bhaiyya the truth. Bhaiyya likes her and accepts her as Sreedhar's better half. Suman blushed from above. Sreedhar looked at her intensly and she gave him back an equally intense look and gave goodnight. He too send her a good night as he moved inside and she moved in her room.