The Shopping

Finally they reached Kotwal Lane. " Sumanji you take Nami to the shop, I will come after parking the car " told Sreedhar

Suman nodded without directly looking at him. She covered herself with her pallu and stepped into a shop with NamiThe shop was full of colorful things. Bangles, anklets, chains, dresses all were kept in display and Suman didn't know why she was feeling happy. She knew she cannot buy or wear anything of those, but then the sheer sight of those beautiful things, to be able to breathe outside her house almost more than 2 months later somewhere she felt a freedom on its own." Bhabiji what have you come for " came a salesman. Suman handed him a list" Bhaiyya she is having a dance performance next week for the temple festival. I need all these things for her " she told the salesperson pointing towards Nami.The salesperson lead them to the floor and Suman started going through the things. She started putting bangles on Nami, tried a lehenga on her, looked at multiple paranthas asking this and that to the salesperson.When Sreedhar reached the floor they were shopping he saw a Suman happily lost in the moment of making the best purchases for her student. He smiled. First task achieved. So smile and will to live exist in you still. You can still rejoice with colors Suman though the society has given you white garb. But who told white was a boring, drab color. He closed his eyes." Suman our slot is 12." Sreedhar was in front of the ladies green room before the competition. " If you could just finish your make up faster we can try one more rehersal just before the actual performance "The door of the room opened and Suman stood with her half finished make up. Sreedhar couldn't help but stare at herDressed in a flowing white gown with short sleeves and lot of flair, her hair let loose, with a white bracelet in her arms, she was looking stunning to say the least" Hello" Suman called him " It will take another 10-15 minutes only. Wait back stage. We will come " she smiled at him as if aware of the feeling she was evoking in him." You look beautiful " he managed to say. " You are also looking good, but your hair looks ruffled. Go and manage it " Suman quipped in before stepping and slamming the door shut" Chachu is this earring good or is this one " asked little Nami showing the 2 earrings in both her hands" Nami ask your chachi how I am supposed to know such things" he said looking squarely at Suman." Chachi asked to check with you as she likes this one, but I like this one. So you tell " . Sreedhar took both the earrings and looked squarely at Suman. She was not looking at him, but he felt she was laughing at his discomfort silently. She knew he was bad in telling the difference between one jewellery to other. Her way of punishing him for playing with her on the dinner table" Chachu tell " Nami persisted. " Gudiya you liked this one right, So it will be good for you. Take it "When they stepped out of the shop Sreedhar felt Suman was relaxed. He asked them to wait so that he could get the car.But when he came with car the sight that greeted him was not pleasant. There were 2 ladies in the pavement shouting at Suman" Hai Ram I knew something bad was going to happen when I stepped out from my house. And now see this. Have to see her inauspicious face."" I have been telling this Kotwal Lane is spoiling our traditions. How dare they allow a widow to purchase such colourful things . Now purchase, tomorrow they will want to wear such things. Hai Ram girl have some sorrow in being a widow "" She came for me. Why are you scolding her " innocent Nami was hugging Suman who was trying hard to hold her emotions" I don't know what is the problem with Maheswariji. She has lost a son because of this witch and she is allowing her to roam"" One more word against my mother and I will not hesitate to slap you forgetting you are a woman" jumped in Sreedhar before Suman and Nami.The ladies freezed " What is your problem. She is the bahu of Varma family. Whatever decision my mother takes she takes into consideration benefit of every family member and the society also"" Your mother is setting fire to her house allowing this chudayil to move around"" Sumanji get in car with Nami. Some people simply see their reflection in everyone". The ladies were shocked to comment something and Sreedhar started the car. He looked in the mirror. Suman looked forlorn once again."