The Long Night

Suman looked at her colored saree. She had come after bath. Water was tripping from her wet hair, but all that flashed in her mind was the last couple of minutes of their togetherness. She was not sure what she felt about it. Her mind was muddled, confused. Maybe she should get punished. Maybe she crossed the limits.

Sreedhar sat in his room, his head in his hands. Was he mad, did he lose his senses. How could he. What could be she feeling. She had come to protect him. Running, not thinking about any tradition, any social taboos, did he take advantage of the situation. His thoughts were interrupted by Sudhir who was standing on the door signalling him to come out.

Aleena and Gauthami were in their hotel room. They had called and briefed Shekhar on what they had done and observed. Shekhar said he will call back after discussing with their superiors. Shekhar was regarded a high performer already in the network. Even during college days he had anchored some small programmes in their network, He also did his internship there and they were pleased with him and now he was the permanent anchor of their 9:30 pm top rated programme " Maryada ya Bandhan" which discussed on social taboos, the realities, expert views. People watched and responded to it via telephone like anything. Even authorities had taken some actions based on it. Like the arrest of a man who raped a tribal girl. Aslyum to a girl who fled the house as she did not want to get married at the age of 12 etc..

The phone rang. Aleena took it putting it on speaker. It was Shekhar. "See I have talked to the superiors. See this is what I have been instructed at. Gauthami with all the spy cameras and video you immediately start from there. Aleena you wait there. We will have our mobile van sent for you. It will be hidden in the venue where this so called Kangaroo court is happening. You will have our camera man Prashant coming tomorrow with you to shoot the court proceedings without attracting attention. I don't think anyone is expecting us there. I am keeping 10 mins slot booked exclusively for you between 12pm-2pm tomorrow. Whatever the verdict, with video you are going to report directly from Jaipur. Based on what we get I am going to check if it can be the topic for " Maryada or Bandhan". This can be your big career break Aleena do it well."

" Shekhar Suman is at risk. Shouldn't we do something to help her. Talking about career at this point looks hollow for me. I am her friend Shekhar" told Aleena

" Aleena do you think Sreedhar is not breaking at this point. Do you think I am not breaking. Sreedhar was my roomie. We have studied together for 5 years though different batches. Do you think I am going voila over making a story out of his misery. Please understand if we really have to help Sreedhar Varma and Suman Varma tomorrow forget Aleena and Shekhar. Be there as Aleena Mathew Intern trainee of Amro News network and allow me to be Shekhar Shrivastava of anchor of Amro network's top rated programme. We have to do it Aleena. How much hard it is, we have to do it for them "

Aleena nodded and looked at Gauthami. She was already segregating things, packing each camera seperately. Delicately placing the video tape. Aleena knew Shekhar will examine all this and will have the foundation ready for the story so that once the live feed comes in, he is able to bargain with it for a place in his top rated programme.

Sudhir looked at Sreedhar. His brother's shoulders were drooped as if he had already accepted defeat. He held Sreedhar's shoulders. " Sree you want to fight right, you want to fight the tradition right. There is one way tomorrow for you to do it "

Sreedhar looked at his brother. There was a way. " Tell me Bhaiyya whatever it is I will do. But why didn't Papa or Tilak Bhaiyya talk about it"

" Sreedhar Papa didn't tell because he sees tradition the way his generation sees it. Woman has to pay the price. The alternate option doesn't go into their head as they don't think it is viable. It is a difficult option actually. But the way things have unfolded in our case you can go for it. You have the best chance. Coming to Tilak Bhaiyya he is so messed up. His failed love story I don't think will give him any clear sense of thought. "

" Tell me Bhaiyya what can I do. I will do anything. Anything for her sake "

" Sreedhar it is not about whether you will do it, problem is whether she will agree to it "

" Bhaiyya making her agree is my responsibility. You just tell what I supposed to do "

Sudhir told, when he finished they were tears in his eyes. But Sreedhar was calm and signalled his brother to be strong.

" Bhaiyya I want to speak to her "

" I will ask Vindhya" told Sudhir

" Vindhya Bhabi. What will you tell her "

" I don't have to tell anything. She knows. She had known from day one" told Sudhir silently as Sreedhar looked at his brother startled.