The Commotion

" Hey Mata what is that I am seeing. Does this girl have any shame" Mahantji's wife was the first one to exclaim as Suman got up, steadying her saree, dusting the colors from her saree, her hair and face.

Sreedhar too got up dusting his kurta. Both of them were dazed.

" Widow in Jagratha hall. It is really inauspicious" told another lady

" What inauspicious" came in Vindhya. " Cant you see that Sreedhar was in danger of getting hit by that Chandelier, she pushed him to save him and they fell"

" Is this the way to save " came one of Mahantji's henchman. " See the Chandelier didn't fell, we had seen it, we were holding it and have managed to hold it. Why she had to hurry, push him. A widow should know her limits"

" Exactly she could have easily asked one of the men standing by his side to push him, now look at her not only she touched him, but shamelessly rolled over with him"

" What mess are you talking " Sreedhar caught the man in his kurta. " She didn't had any intention to roll with me. Just that she pushed me "

" Also what is the guarantee that the chandelier would have stopped. It has almost reached ground " came in Sudhir

" Stop everyone " Mahantji intervened. " Rajasekhar I want to ask you one thing. A widow is supposed to be in the house during Jagratha or other auspicious festivals in home. How did she saw the Chandelier falling"

Rajasekhar knew they were trapped. There was no way he could hide the truth " She was in terrace"

" Terrace. So you allowed you widow bahu to observe Jagratha from terrace" shouted Mahantji. " Look at the inauspiciousness, look at the way the mishap has happened. A widow was observing Jagratha. See Mata Rani wanted to punish you, that's why that chandelier came down on your son. Good that our people saw it and stopped it"

" We asked her to be in terrace because of what happened to Sangarsh Lal's family 5 years back" shouted Tilak glaring at Mahantji

" Sangarsh Lal's daughter was Kanya. But who would want to touch this Vishkanya. Poison that killed her husband on wedding day."

" Exactly even if she hadnt come nothing would have happened to Sreedhar as the Chandelier have been stopped"

" Maheswari do some pooja padh for your son. He has been touched by poison. Not sure what is going to happen to him" told another lady

" Rajasekhar even if I accept she came to protect Sreedhar she has to be punished for following things . One for observing Jagratha from terrace which she was not supposed to do. Second instead of just alerting Sreedhar to move away or asking someone near him to push him, she not only physically pushed him, but shamelessly rolled with him. So she will be tried in tomorrow meeting after Mahanavami pooja. This is my final decision as the representative of the community. And Jagratha cannot continue after her entry. It has ended mid way which is not good for you or your family" saying it he walked out, along with the other prominent members of the community. Pratap gave a sly smile. Mahantji has handled it quite well. He caught on to the fact that Chandelier didn't fall and Suman was on terrace.

" Happy, Happy conducting Jagratha over our son's pyre, happy getting your DIL punished tomorrow for trying to protect our other son" Maheswari was shouting as the Varma family assembled in the hall. Vindhya sat near Suman who had slumped on the stairs. Sreedhar stood numb on the other corner, unable to understand what is happening. Renuka had gone to take care of 3 kids and put them to sleep. Sudhir and Tilak stood, both angry.

" Maheswari you are telling as if it is my mistake. Didn't you hear what Mahantji asked. Did you had any explanation for her being on terrace. Did you had any explanation for the chandelier not falling. Yes we can bargain for lesser punishment for her looking at the situation. But we have to accept she will be punished tommorrow as per the tradition"

" Papa she tried to protect me. What she should have done. Waited on the stairs till she know whether the chandelier will stop or not " told Sreedhar

" Also it was an impromptu task. She was only looking at Sreedhar's safety Papa" told Tilak

" All of you can argue but traditions cannot be changed. There is no point arguing"

Tilak walked away in huff. Sreedhar tried to argue, but Sudhir tapped his shoulder.

" Sreedhar you go freshen up, we will talk. Suman you also go. Change your dress" . He eyed Vindhya, who took a dazed Suman upstairs "

When Renuka entered the room Tilak was pouncing the wall with his fist. His fist was bleeding, but he didn't seem to care.

Renuka rushed and put her hand between his fist and wall. She had seen enough of Tilak's self inflicting pain when he couldn't control the situation or the question of tradition came up.

" Renuka remove your hand. Today you cannot stop me. Why didn't I think. Why didn't I think they can use Sreedhar to trap her. Tradition. Bend the tradition to suit you. Bend the tradition to support the power monger like Mahantji. I should not be alive to watch that poor girl getting punishment."

" Tilak if you die or if you inflict wounds on you can punishment of Suman be stopped. We have to think ways of protecting her, reducing it as much as possible. Please let me dress your hand"

" Renuka no need, I want to feel this pain. I want it to remind me once again Tilak is a failure. He couldn't protect his wife. Society called his child an illegimate one and forced his wife to abort it. Can something be more shameful for a man. And today he couldn't protect his sister also "

"Tilak how can you tell you didn't protect her. See whatever their plan was it is flopped. She is not charged with adultery with a stranger , they have not been able to tell conclusively she didn't come for protecting Sreedhar. I have spoken to some ladies. Many feel Suman is not at fault, but are afraid to tell the same fearing Mahantji. See Suman's fate is entwined with Sreedhar. Have some faith in your brother. He has always managed to find some way, some way to protect, some way to care. Please let me dress the wound"

Tilak reluctantly gave his hand to the wife. Renuka bandaged his wound as he fell on her shoulder and cried.