The Questions

You went to Varma mansion" asked Pratap to Poornima.

" Yes mamu. I went there. Sreedhar uncle agreed to come to our programme and dadiji told if we get approval for our petition she will sent Suman aunty in color clothes with minimal sringaar" told Poornima

" Poorni this is not easy. Many people wont agree beta" told Harkishore

" I know nanu. That's why we are trying to drive it through children. Sreedhar Uncle has asked a good question in that community meeting that why that day no Suhagan's had problems seeing a widow. We expect him to drive the same point in children's mind so that they go and question. Sreedhar Uncle is respected a lot by children"

Harkishore patted her cheeks. The girl went upstairs with her notebooks

" Papa where is this going. What are you planning. She has gone to Varma house. If anyone there knows who she is, do we want to risk that "

" Pratap I said it is wait and watch for us. We will observe. I don't think Sreedhar as a person in anyway will harm the 15 year old, nor will Sudhir Varma. What they do with us is different. But whatever I have seen in the community hall these two will not touch Poorni, whatever be the reason"

"Maheswari what is the need to send Sreedhar to such a meeting. You could have asked me " told Rajasekhar as the family sat for dinner

" Papa what is wrong in what Maa did. They are children and from what I heard deprived of their mother's love at a tender age due to tradition. Tell me Papa do you really think widows has to be tortured like this" asked Sudhir

" Sudhir it is not what I believe or what I want. There is a way society functions. There is a power system. We have just come out of one problem without much damage, now if we are going to endorse this do you think Mahantji will sit quiet or for that matter the so called orthodox and traditional ladies keep quiet "

"Mahantji is facing CBI enquiry and coming to orthodox ladies , there are also now ladies in the community who doesn't run away seeing Suman, so at this point it is anyone's game papa. Children should get a chance to make the change" told Tilak

" Change Tilak when you talk change right I am reminded of so many things. Kids have to listen to their parents. Obey the rules of the society. Maheswari this is where I am telling why did you agree"

" Rajasekhar I don't know about Poornima's mother but I very well remember Vaishnav's mother. Manjima was a child bride of 14 and became a widow at 18. I remember how brutally even her head was shaved. She was kept in a room and never allowed to come out. Food was thrown at her. She was not allowed to go to Maayka. She was mentally tortured to the extend she committed suicide and the so called great Samrat family eliminated one heir to their fortune pushing the 3 year old Vaishnav to his nanu's place. What is there for the child after his nanu's death. His mother's family wont give him anything. His father's family for them he doesn't exist. If Manjima was alive they would have been forced to give her, her husband's share. I felt the children's request was fair. They should be given a chance to try. And better don't talk to me about tradition. I have seen the Jagratha" she went to kitchen.

Rajasekhar knew his wife was in sour mood from the Jagratha. He knew he will have to braze himself for more turmoils.

"Vaishnav are you sure you want to do it". Asked his nanaji

" Yes nanu. I know you are afraid of Papa's family. What they will think. Will they do any damage. Don't worry nanu. Maa is there is with me. Wherever she is I am sure she will bless me and Papa will also bless me nanu" he wiped his nanu's tears.

" Why the rebel child has started new rebellion" came his uncle " Vaishnav understand if any problem is created even your nanu cannot stop me from throwing you out from this house"

" Uncle I am not afraid. If you throw me out, I will go to orphanage. But I will do this for Maa" the child told

" Living on someone else's morsel and look at the audacity of the boy" came his aunt

" Stop it. It is my mistake I gave my wealth in the name of you 2 worthless sons. You will not have to put him outside alone, I will also go with him" told the old man

" Dream, very well dream liberation of widows. There is one Sreedhar Varma and you people seem to have got some courage"

" Sreedhar uncle is not like you uncle. He is good. He is very good. He will win it for us. You see" Vaishnav retorted back looking fiercely at his uncle. His uncle and aunt gave him a smug look before going away and his nanaji hugged him. The boy cried on his nanaji's shoulder.