The Crack

" Uncle can we also come for Suman bua's shop opening or only chote Dadu and choti Dadi can come" asked Anwesha.

She was talking on Sreedhar during their scheduled weekly call. Much to the displeasure of Rajputs Sreedhar called the child regularly as promised and Anwesha was happy talking to him. The little girl asked many questions on the theory of female inferiority and Sreedhar answered them taking examples from mythology, literature and contemporary Indian history. Though Anwesha didn't question any practice at her home directly the Rajputs knew that her thoughts were changing radically as they heard Anwesha asking her mother in private why only she and Bhavani dadi did most jobs at home.

So now this question of accompanying Suman's parents to Jaipur made them really uncomfortable as they were not sure what all Anwesha will see in Varma's household.

" Papa Sreedhar uncle wants to talk to you " told Anwesha now looking at her father Amrit.

" Amrit you are going to politely decline the invitation. It is his courtesy to extend the invitation and don't forget it is Suman's sasural. It is not good for many people to go there" told Vikram to his son.

Amrit looked at his daughter's eager face as he took the phone " hello Sreedhar" told Amrit.

" Bhaiyya Anwesha really wants to come for the shop inauguration next week. Why don't you and bhabi come along with her. Please consider this as my personal invitation" told Sreedhar.

" Sreedhar Anwesha.." started Amrit.

" Bhaiyya I know you want to decline. You might be thinking it is your sister's sasural, will it look good if you all come. Don't worry like that Bhaiyya, anyways your Devika didi is here. You can stay at her place. Bhabi and Anwesha both can see Jaipur. Please don't say no Bhaiyya. If you want I can ask Papa to speak to Virender uncle to bring you along with them."

" No Sreedhar. I will come with family" told Amrit and gave the phone back to Anwesha who looked very happy.

" Why didn't you say no" asked Vikram

" Bauji Sreedhar told he will make Rajasekharji speak to Virender Chachu. I thought that was not needed. Hence decided to go" told Amrit. Vikram tried to tell something but Viren indicated that let the call finish.

Once Anwesha finished the call Vikram looked at his son, " Amrit you are not going. Your daughter is learning lot of unwanted things now. I don't want her to go there, observe the so called modern things. Don't forget she has to go to another home tomorrow"

" Bauji I am going with Anwesha and Sayyali and it is not going to change." told Amrit and tried to walk away.

But Vikram blocked his way " Amrit I told you are not going and that is final. Virender knows what to tell to Suman's family on your absence "

Amrit looked at his father " Bauji I said I am going. If Virender Chachu does not want to take us, we will go separately. But don't ask me about family image then"

" Amrit you have already done one crime by lying about your second child. Sayyali has not had another child for past 5 years. Without giving you a son you are giving royal treatment to your wife by taking her to Jaipur " hissed Viren.

" Yes Tauji. I did a crime. Not one, couple of them. I didn't had the courage like Pritam to run away from this family and protect my daughter. I thought atleast when you all see my baby you wont hate her. No I was wrong. My mother itself killed her six month old grand daughter by putting her in a tub of water. Again I was a criminal because I couldn't protect my sister Suman who was pleading for mercy. I was forced to be silent as I didn't know what I will do if I go outside this family.

But Pritam has taught me Tauji if you want to stand by what is right you have to take first step. I am taking that first step now. I will make my daughter a Pilot. At eighteen I wont have mehendi in her hands instead she will go to Aviation Training Institute or some other reputed organization to be a commercial flight pilot. I want to be the proud father of Anwesha Rajput. Yes I have got an opportunity now to show my daughter a new place, new customs and I want to give her that chance to know the world outside this haweli.

Coming to your question why Sayyali didn't had another child. The day you killed Amita I decided I wont be a father again. Anwesha will be my only child. I went to the hospital and did that surgery which will ensure Sayyali wont be pregnant again."

" You did what ... " told a stunned Vikram.

" Bauji I can never be a father again. Anwesha will be my only child. "

Virender looked at Bhavani " You are the root of all problems. You are supporting all these things here. You were the one who told right we killed Amita" he tried to slap Bhavani.But Amrit held his hand.

" Enough Chachu. Chachi that day tried her best to save Amita. But she reached late. And from today if I see you raising hand at Bhavani Chachi believe me I will cross the boundary of being your nephew."

" Amrit you are crossing boundaries " shouted Virat

" You all have crossed boundaries long back Virat Chachu. I can always go out with my family. I will go to Jaipur. Stay with Devika didi and get some job. But you will have to answer why two months after Pritam went, Amrit also went " told Amrit sarcastically as he led Sayyali and Anwesha to their room.

Virender slammed his fist on the table. " Why Virender has the mirchi got too hot for you handle. One son is gone. Another son is as good as gone. Vikram Jethji you have only one son. Listen to him, else there will be no one to take care of you and bhabi in old age" mocked Bhavani walking towards her room. The Rajputs brothers looked at each other. They were not understanding what was happening. Most important they didn't know how to stop it.