Geeta Didi, Jodhpur Market

Sreedhar stopped the open van in front of a three storeyed building. They had come to Jaideep Mamu's eldest daughter Geeta didi's place.

On the way Sreedhar had told Suman that Geeta didi's family was into agriculture. Geeta didi was married to the middle brother. Some 10 years back a bitter feud emerged among the three brothers post her mother in laws death. Result was partition. The fields were partioned and the house was demolished and made 3 storeyed and each brother stayed with his family in one floor. Neither Geeta didi's bhabi nor her devrani supported Geeta didi's beliefs. But her husband and kids were supportive so once the partition happened Geeta didi practiced what she believed in her house. He told her Geeta didi's bhabi and devrani can be nasty but Geeta didi has learned to live in that house. Geeta didi's eldest son was in Navy and her daughter was married, the younger son was studying in a college in Jodhpur. He said at home they will meet Geeta didi's bahu Prerana, her one year old granddaughter Pihu and her younger son Girish.

As Sreedhar parked the car itself he heard shouts " Geeta come take the chudayil quickly to your house. Now the new rule has allowed you to have your way" shouted an elderly lady and also asking her bahu to go inside telling doesn't she care about her suhaag.

" Arrey Bhabi you don't need to call my brother's wife Chudayil. She has a name Suman. And Suhaag you are talking as if my bua doesn't have a suhaag or my Renu or Vindhya doesn't have suhaag. Well it is more than a year now Suman is in that house and many Suhagans visit her as she teaches dance and does embroidery. Didn't hear any incident on anyone losing her Suhaag seeing her. I am not bringing her to your house. No need to meddle into mine" told Geeta didi equally ferociously as she came down to welcome them.

As they went up she shouted " Prerna bahu take the aarti, Suman and Poornima are coming here for first time"

" Yaa do the welcome with Aarti and all. One is widow and other Geeta Bhabi never expected your brother will marry a low caste woman" came another voice from top.

" Jayanthi Tilak married Anusree. What about your brother. I know to take the count of prostitute house he visits and I heard these days there is mechanism to ascertain the paternity of a child's father. If you dare ask your brother to go for that if he is so pure like snow"

Suman and Poornima didn't know what to feel. On one side they felt like laughing seeing the ladies passing the tirades, other side bewildered on how did Geeta didi survive in this mayhem.

Prerna stood there with aarti. Geeta didi took aarti and put kumkum tikka for Poorni and a kajal dot for Suman and then she invited them inside.

Suman gave the bag of gifts to Gita didi. Everyone admired the hand embroidery Suman did for Pihu's dress. Suman had done it just the day before night taking the embroidery kit from Latika Mami. They didn't know how the time passed as they had lunch at Geeta Didi's place. Played with Pihu. Girish asked Sreedhar on higher studies option as he said he wanted to be a lecturer. He told after the division of land agriculture was not yielding anything major and it was better he looked for a salaried job. Sreedhar said of course he can look into some college in Delhi if he scores well for his graduation.

Geeta didi asked about Suman's family and told one of Suman's Bhabi Jyothi is her husband's niece. Suman was surprised to know Jyothi Bhabi was connected to Sreedhar's family. She was Pritam Bhaiyya's wife and was now second pregnant. That was what Maa had told when she called Suman one month back. She knew none of the bahus or betis of that house spoke the truth outside. So obviously the opinion would be good to everyone.

Soon it was time for them to leave. Just like in Sandhya's place Geeta didi also gave Suman a nice plain silk saree, Poorni a salwar, and dresses to all other kids and Sreedhar.

Then they came to market. As they roamed the market Suman got busy buying things for Nami for her dance performance for that year temple festival. That year even her students Megha and Sayoni were also performing. They went for a doll dance and also watched a street play being performed. Kids had matka kulfi and also sliced mangoes. It was then Poorni shouted " Sreedhar Chachu look Choodiwala. Looks like he has a good collection. Come let us see"

Sreedhar took everyone there. Poorni and Nami went on a buying spree of bangles. Suman asked Poorni to take choodi for Rajashree , Smitha , Shreya and Rakhi also. When shopping was completed Sreedhar paid the money.

Then the choodiwala asked " Bhaiyya you bought for everyone, you didn't buy for bhabiji. Take some for her naa and put in her hands. Ladies love when husbands put bangles in their hands"

Sreedhar didn't know what to say and Suman turned away not wanting anyone to see her tears.

" Bhaiyya.." Sreedhar tried to explain

" Bhaiyya how can devar put choodi for bhabi , that too a bhabi who is widow". Everyone looked startled from where the voice was coming. Sourabh was sitting in the bike and grinning

The choodiwala looked as if a thunder hit him and he blabbered " This is the problem allowing widows to wear color clothes. How are we supposed to know she is a widow. That too she was taking for everyone. I need to do Pooja for my vehicle. A widow was selecting bangles from my vehicle" saying it he hurried. Poorni went near Suman who was now crying as everyone in the market looked at her and some started moving away as if they have seen a demon.

Sreedhar looked at Sourabh and he grinned at him as he rode the bike. Sreedhar looked around and understood if they stood there people might pass more comments. He looked at Poorni and slowly they moved towards the open vehicle.