The Trial

The Varma family got out in front of the open community hall where Suman's trial was supposed to be held. As Maheswari and Renuka walked on both sides of Suman, some woman were looking at Suman and passing comments. Reason Suman was not walking with her head low, she was keeping her head straight and looking at people on both sides.

" Look at her. Does she have any modesty. She rolled with her devar yesterday. And walking as if she didn't commit any mistake "

" Yes yes no repentance. No wonder her husband died on the wedding day. She is real poison "

" Mahantji was right. That Chandelier falling was a warning to Maheswariji to get this girl out of the house, if she wants peace in the family"

Sreedhar was clenching his fist, but Sudhir held him firmly so that he doesn't forget the task at hand.

But behind those front row buggers Renuka heard some whispers " I feel something bad is going to happen today. Haldi and Kumkum fell on that girl on Maa Durga's Jagratha. I strongly feel punishing her might bring Maa Durga's wrath on us "

" But what can we do. We all know how Mahantji is and his clout and power. He will create situation to outcast anyone from the community "

Finally everyone was seated. Suman was asked to stand in one corner to face the trial. Mahantji and other committee members sat. Harkishore and Pratap were standing at the back. But for the first time Harkishore felt uncomfortable watching Suman. She was not standing there like a feeble female. She was not crying like Anu. She was not asking for mercy. The girl's eyes had fire in them. A fire he felt that was capable of burning many things.

The trial started. The committee members told what has happened to Jagratha and Suman's sins. Mahantji heard all the arguments. Then he got up. I very well understand the gravity of crime this woman has committed. Being a widow coming in between an auspicious function, touching a man when she had other options to protect him. But since Rajasekhar Varma has been an esteemed member of this community. His family has more or less abided by the rules before this girl came in and he has placed a request that she came to protect his son, I feel we have to listen to him. So we will reduce her punishment to just whipping her 10 times. So next time she thinks anything of this sort that pain she will remember. There was loud applause on Mahantji's decision and Mahantji smiled at his victory.

He continued " Before punishment I would ask the criminal to make a public apology for what she has done. It will be good if the community knows she has repented her sin " He looked at Suman, but she too looked him back with fire in her eyes. She stood silent.

" Don't you want to apologize" thundered Mahantji. " You audacious woman. That means you wont repent your sin"

" There is no need for Suman to apologize. Because she is not sinned ". Everyone looked from where the voice was coming and they saw Sreedhar walking towards where Suman is standing.

Sreedhar stood in front of Suman. " Suman has protected me yesterday. I was saved because of her. She didn't think of any social taboos when she saw the chandelier coming. And trying to protect a human is not a sin atleast by what I have understood about right and wrong."

Rajasekhar Varma stood stunned. What was Sreedhar upto. Does he understand the implications. Before he could get up Sudhir held his hand firmly and looked into his father's eyes. Rajasekhar Varma knew from that look what his sons had decided. For once he knew fire from Murali's pyre was spreading at the root of the system that had taken Tilak's love and Sudhir's dreams.

" Do you realize you are questioning traditions young man " asked another committee member to Sreedhar

" What tradition are you talking about. I have heard her being called chudayil, poison etc. Her presence is inauspicious to Suhagan's. Why I am seeing so many Suhagan's here. Well if they see her today nothing will happen to their suhaag or seeing a widow whipped or outcasted will give more protection to their suhaag "

Mahantji knew this was not going as per plan. He could see some ladies fidgeting in the background. He has to frighten Sreedhar.

" Do you know young man what is the punishment for obstructing traditional committee's punishment "

" Yes" this time Sreedhar looked straight in Mahantji's eyes. " 10 whips for me too and if you have to let go of her, I have to take another 10 whips. So 20 whips in whole for protecting her. To the woman who tried to protect me yesterday I am willing to take those 20 whips. You will not touch her. If you try , you will have to get past me. I am obstructing it and you have to give punishment for that as per tradition "

Mahantji was fuming. The script was changing. Hall had moved to stunned silence. Many people were stunned the way Sreedhar spoke. His clarity of thoughts.

" You cannot take such decisions. Elders in your family..."

" I support my brother's decision completely" it was Sudhir. " Suman had tried to protect him and if she is getting punished for that act, he has every right to take it "

Before Tilak could get up, Maheswari got up " Today I will say I am proud of my son. He has shown he knows what is right and what is wrong. Sreedhar I know you will take this so called punishment with head held high"

Mahantji tried to go for his last trick. Make Suman guilty. Before he could open his mouth he heard a voice. A voice that once pleaded, but roaring today.

" Mahantji as per tradition rule, Sreedhar has decided to take Suman's punishment and Sudhir and my mom has accepted it. As per rule if one takes punishment supported by 2 elders in the family then it is binding. We all know it. Suman get down from dias. Mother has approved Sreedhar's decision. There is no need for you to be there"

Tilak looked at Mahantji with fire coming from his eyes

" Dadu please dadu, allow me to go back to Anu, she is my wife "

" You will stay here. Mahantji here is your Rs 50,000 for giving information on my grandson marrying that girl of other caste"

Suman was hesitant. She understood it was for this he bought her silence. He was not looking at her. She knew he will not.

" Vindhya take Suman home. Suman didn't you hear what your jethji told. We have taken the decision" Maheswari ordered firmly to the confused girl. Vindhya moved forward and took a still reluctant Suman from the dias and began to move towards the door in the crowd.

Mahantji was angry beyond anything. " Tie him and whip him hard 20 times. Let him remember this for his life, so that he doesn't do such things in future" but even as he pronounced it Mahantji knew it was a failure. Sreedhar had taken the thunder.

Aleena scribbled in the corner, as tears rolled down from her eyes. This was not what she bargained for when she decided to fight system. Now she has to watch the gruesome sight of Sreedhar getting whipped. Then she thought about her father, who told her brother when in Airforce uniform he was Alex Mathew and his first priority was not relations, but duty. Shekhar's words. Be Aleena Mathew the scribe. She closed her eyes. Hardened herself. The world has to know this and the power to take this outside the room rested with her. She has to do it. She can cry later. She watched as two people came and tied Sreedhar and her camera man stealthily moved forward.