Why Me

It was midnight. The food was given to the nurse and the hospital staff only fed Suman. When he requested to see her it was told she was taking rest, now no one allowed. He had requested multiple times, but got the same answer.He got up , stretched himself and looked out through the window. He saw vehicles entering and leaving the hospital. A couple was standing at the lampshade and talking

He was waiting for her to come. It was the day after she had given him the letter in which she had confessed her love. When his class finished he had rushed to the graduate block to meet her. He saw her coming with her friend Aleena. Sreedhar knew Aleena as many times Aleena had accompanied Suman during her dance practice. She was wearing a green salwar with duppatta tied as a knot in the neck and her hair braided. She never let her hair open in college. It was either bun or braided.

As they came near Sreedhar approached them. Seeing him Aleena stepped back. Suman didn't look straight at him, she was blushing.

" Suman if you don't mind will you come with me to lover's corner. I would like to talk to you"

She looked at Aleena and indicated her to proceed to hostel and then followed him. They were silent till they reached the lover's corner. He got a corner seat under the shade of pine trees for them. They sat facing each other.

" Thank you for accepting my love. I am really happy " told Sreedhar. She only smiled still didn't look up.

" Sumi are you afraid " . She looked at him startled. " Can I call you Sumi. It feels very personal " he asked

She nodded. " Sumi will you tell something or just I will talk " he asked

" I have a question. Can I ask. Will you feel bad " she said

" First how can I say if I will feel bad without knowing what is the question. Second if you think I feel bad on you questioning me don't worry, you have the right to question me. For the relation we are going to share there should not be any confusions or assumptions in mind"

She smiled broadly looking at him. He put forward his hand. She gave her hand. He indicated her to come closer. She kept her head on his shoulder. He held her hand .

" Sreedhar from the time I have come in this college I have heard your name. Most of the girls in this college wants to be your GF. There was not one soul in the hostel who had not shouted at me for asking the question on why no trial for Sreedhar Varma for Jodi Dance. Having so many girls who will fulfill any demand of yours to be your GF and future wife what did you see in me to choose me as your love . What is so special about me"

He thought for a while and replied" Sumi you have an independent thought process, you don't take hearsay, then even in adverse situations you make effort to adapt and give your best. I had given up hope on winning the Jodi dance. But your patience and determination ensured we won not only the dance, but Jodi also. All this made you different from the rest. Then if you really ask me why you, at this point I do not have a clear answer. But I promise you the day I get it, I will let you know "

" Sreedhar Varma you want to see Suman Varma right. Just go now as it is duty change time. You will have some 10-15 mins before the next duty nurse come. Come out within that time limit. Don't disturb her. We cannot allow someone during duty time in ICU. The head nurse will give us punishment if she catches us"

Sreedhar thanked the nurse. He slowly entered the ICU. He found Suman. She looked as if sleeping. He sat down beside her bed and kept his hand on the bed and looked at her

" Sumi I have your answer. Why you. But now you are sleeping. Sleep, take rest. I am happy that you are fine" he told in mind

He tried to get up, only to feel her hand over his. " Sreedhar going without telling anything to me" she whispered.

He smiled at her and she gave a feeble smile " Tell what you have come to tell me. I can read your face" she told

He caressed her hand " Sumi I have the answer to your question " why you". " Really tell " she asked eagerly

" You said girls will do anything for me if I ask. But I wanted someone who will give what I want the most without asking,Sumi do you know if something had happened to Aakash today I wouldn't have been able to face Tilak Bhaiyya and Renu Bhabi. I would have felt guilty of my love story bringing pain to them. But with your grit you saved me today from that guilt. Sumi in college putting you for that Jodi Dance was an injustice to you. Because you asked a question. I couldn't prevent that injustice and was helpless also as I was also pushed to a corner as far as the dance went. But you didn't think of the injustice to you, that day you adapted to the situation to dance with me for the sake of the college and your answer to the injustice meted out to you was that perfect dance which won 1st prize and best Jodi.

You are the girl to whom life has given a raw deal. Instead of complaining you had tried to make best use of the deals given to you. I wanted such a girl who could fight alongside with me in any adverse situation. A girl who can make a defeat into victory. A girl who will complete me. A girl who will know what my priorities are and support me. By protecting Aakash today you just proved my choice was right then, my choice is right now. "

She smiled as he tucked her hair behind her ear and told he needs to get out before the duty nurse came. She nodded. As he stepped out of ICU he turned to look at her once again. He saw her smiling, a smile that held the satisfaction of knowing what she meant to him.