The MA meeting

Everyone was assembled for the meeting. Rawat looked at the Varma's.Tilak was not there. It was Rajasekhar Varma and Sudhir Varma. Rawat's hands were sweaty. It was known in business circle that if there was anyone in Varma family who carried the ruthlessness of Rajasekhar Varma's father that was Sudhir Varma. Only difference unlike Tribovandas Varma, Sudhir never did anything for satisfying his personal needs or personal vendetta. It was also an open secret in the business community that Tribovandas Varma's sudden death due to cardiac arrest also is attributed to Sudhir Varma who bought the family to the verge of break up for a girl in Gurgaon. Sudhir's eyes glinted as he looked at Rawat and Rawat was simply unable to meet Sudhir's eye. Only thing going in his mind " What has Sudhir Varma bought now. What mess Mahantji has landed him in"

" Ok so we all know why we are here. Rajasekhar Varma the designated 1 week is over. So have you bought evidence to prove your son Sreedhar Varma innocent" asked a member.

" Yes we have. We would want Captain Arjit Ramesh to speak to you today to let you know why my brother had to behave the way he behaved with Naina Rawat. I would request the members to listen to Captain Arjit Ramesh from Indian Army Jaipur battalion". The members nodded. A smartly dressed young man in army uniform came with 2 ladies. One lady was old wearing a simple cotton saree and the other lady looked young and she was wearing chuda signaling she is a new bride"

" Namasthe everyone. I am Captain Arjit Ramesh son of Paramvir Chakra awardee Major Ramesh RT. This is my mother Poorva Ramesh and this is my wife Sadhana. I understand that here in MA a motion is moved against a young man Sreedhar Varma for insulting a lady Naina Rawat. 

But before talking anything about it I want to talk about widows. Because in our army settlements we have so many of them, as their husbands died trying to protect people like you. I myself have not seen my father. He died in cross firing across LOC in Jammu Kashmir protecting 10-15 villagers when my mother was 5 months pregnant with me. Do you know my mother had just lived her married life for about a year. 

Paramvir Chakra came to my family posthumsly for my father price of which was my mother's broken bangles and erased sindoor. From that day she had lived just for raising me. She bought me up, talking about my father, talking about his valor and didn't hesitate even a second to send her only son to the service of the country. Because irrespective of her personal pain she feels a proud wife and wants to feel a proud mother.

Now I will come to Naina Rawat. In the army bash this so called maiden Naina Rawat called a widow Suman Varma a " Chudayil". Sreedhar Varma asked her to apologize for that to Suman, which she didn't do and went on doing character assassination of her telling she is talking to a man to trap him, because she has carnal desire and to satisfy that a widow will resort to such cheap tricks. 

Now I want to ask people sitting here. Yes the whole army was pained by her remarks, because that was not just put at Suman Varma, but also to the countless widows who are there in army settlement. We can tell we are deeply hurt by it as we feel is this how our wives will be treated when we are no longer there. 

Is this how the society calls my mother or will call my wife Sadhana if by any chance something happen to me. Is " Chudayil" the name for that woman who has given up her husband for protecting people like Naina Rawat and her father Shashank Rawat who thinks widow is a bad omen and she can be called any name, she can be publicly insulted. 

We army men don't like to demand anything as we have given up our life for our country. But we do expect dignity for our families from civilians. We want to tell the people here that before terming a widow chudayil, bad omen and whatever please understand you all can sit here, do business and make motions like this because somewhere in this country a woman is breaking her bangles and erasing her sindoor for protecting you. Learn to show some respect towards widows because it is because of many widows we all have the perception of safety. 

We can give this association video of Army Charity bash where the clear insult of Naina Rawat towards Suman Varma is seen. Sreedhar Varma only upheld the dignity of his sister -in-law and Suman Varma was army's guest that day. A polite and distinguished lady herself with lot of talent and I do respect her and her family for giving her a chance to come out of the trauma she had faced. Thank you for all your patience in listening to me.

The members gave a loud applause to Arjith Ramesh and Shashank Rawat knew it was done and dusted with. That Mahantji was telling Sudhir was waiting to get something from them. Look now he very well knew what he was doing. Speech of Anuradha and Santhosh was just a formality as Arjit's speech had done the trick as Sudhir could read from everyone's eyes.

Now after all the evidence was presented from Varma side it was the time for voting. One member told " Do we need voting, everyone who feel what Sreedhar Varma did was right based on the evidence presented here can simpy raise their hands. We can just see the hands and take the decision". Many nodded in affirmation and Shashank Rawat could see even many of his partners in crime were now siding with the majority. The motion was passed unanimously in favour of Sreedhar Varma

But it didn't end there. Another member told since the Indian army felt insulted because of Naina Rawat's remarks and since her father supported such a remark against the soldiers's wives he should no longer be MA Chairperson and new election has to be convened to select the Chairperson. Another person told insulting Indian army is against the moral code of conduct of MA so Shashank Rawat has to be expelled from MA. Voting was asked on both motions and in the next half hour when the result came Shashank Rawat understood the earth has gone from under his feet. He has been expelled as Chairman and also as a MA member.

It was decided that fresh nominations will be invited for Chairman post and within a month election will happen to choose the new chairman. Till that point the core committee of 5 senior most members will handle the affairs of MA which included Rajasekhar Varma.

As they came out Sudhir went and thanked Arjit. Anuradha and Santhosh for their support. Santhosh told he was happy to support because even he felt insulted when Naina put that allegation on Suman. Anuradha told they deeply regretted what happened that day and they were unable to stop Naina Rawat. From next time in such bashes they will print code of conduct for participants in the back of tickets to ensure people like Naina and her father don't create mess.

Sudhir looked at his father and found him a relieved man. " Papa please don't be afraid. We are not taking anything from anyone. But do you want these selfish people to take the happiness of our family ". Rajasekhar patted his son's shoulders indicating well done.

As they reached the car, they saw a broken Shashank Rawat walking unsteadily towards the car. Rajasekhar wanted to go and help Shashank but Sudhir held his father's hand firmy.

" Papa no. Let us not get into any ugly squabble. He will do that, putting the entire blame on us. He himself has created the mess. Let him deal with it or get help from Mahantji for dealing with it. We better think about what to do about the 30-40% business that anyways is going to go with him" Rajasekhar nodded and they got into the car.