The Invitation

Sreedhar was more or less doing fine. Now he came and had food with the rest of the family and had started playing cricket with Aakash also. The private time he got with Suman had stopped, but then they both were happy. Because in the time they got they had poured their heart out. Months of isolation, pain and suppressed feelings got their outlet both physically and emotionally. They were feeling much stronger, much composed to take the new challenges with a better understanding between them. Sreedhar was planning to join office back in another couple of days.

It was evening. Sreedhar was over phone with Gautham. The besties chatted like anything. Sreedhar telling everything happening and Gautham talking about his and Kailash's preparations for Civil Service Finals. They told how difficult it was for everyone not to meet him or Suman. But Sreedhar told till they reach the goal their connections cannot be exposed. So phone has to be the only medium of connect.

Vindhya and Renuka were preparing snacks for the kids as they were due back from school anytime. Suman was in terrace engrossed in painting. Now her art had turned into a small business in itself. Ladies came to Varma house to give sarees to Suman. Maheswari was giving some instructions to servants.

Then they heard Aakash's voice " Poornima Didi, Vaishnav Bhaiyya come. Sreedhar Chachu Poornima di and Vaishnav Bhaiyya has come to meet you"

The whole Varma family came to see who were the guests Aakash was addressing. They saw a smiling girl smartly dressed in school uniform with her hair braided on both sides and a boy. The Varma family knew the boy. He was Vaishnav Samrat grandson of the prominent Samrat family, but the girl was new.

" Come sit beta. Renu bring tea and snacks for them" told Maheswari

" No Dadiji we just came to meet Sreedhar uncle and place a request with him" told Poornima

" How is that possible you just came to meet him and wont take tea. Nobody goes like that from here" came Vindhya with tea and snacks for the kids.

By the time Aakash had bought Sreedhar out. Namrata and Adwaith were already seated opposite to Poornima and Vaishnav.

" Namasthe Uncle. I am.."

" Poornima Patel. Head Prefect of Aakash's school" smiled Sreedhar

" Not only head Prefect she is the student Prime Minister for this year's Children's day. She won the first prize for speech and Vaishnav Bhaiyya is the deputy he came second" told Aakash

" You know her " asked Maheswari

" Yes Maa have met once and Aakash had introduced. She is new here. They have come from Raipur. You came to meet me. For what dear" asked Sreedhar

" Uncle we have a request for you" it was Vaishnav who spoke. " Uncle this year as part of Children's day celebrations in our school we would like to have you as our chief guest "

Sreedhar smiled " Me Chief Guest, I don't know any speech. And why me. There are many dignatories out there"

" Arrey hero ban gaya. 20 whips and see the effect. Kids make you Chief guest" told Vindhya laughing

" Uncle actually me and Vaishnav have a plan. We want to present it in front of the students during Children's day celebrations. At this point you are most close to our cause. Kids know you and if you can endorse it, it will be really helpful " told Poornima " We have got permission from School Principal and other authorities to present our plan and also to invite you for the program"

" What plan " asked Sreedhar

" Uncle me and Vaishnav share a common pain. We both lost our father's to the fate, but our mother's to the tradition. My father left us before I was born and my mother died when I was five. Vaishnav's father passed away when he was 3 and in the next 3 months he lost his mother too. We cannot change fate. But tradition cant the tradition be modified a bit so that children like us are not deprived of their mother's "

Maheswari knew where it was going and she could see Poornima's eyes welling up with tears when she talked and even the boy was trying to control his tears.

" Uncle " continued Vaishnav. " Widows are not allowed to show their faces, they are not allowed to step out of the house, they are not allowed any color clothing or even minimal jewellery. As per nanu my mother who was a social butterfly couldn't take that life. Instead of living like a jail bird she decided to end it all by committing suicide "

" And my mother as per my nani she also couldn't take the life of a widow who was shut in a room. She ate very little, she went weak and slowly allowed death to take her "

" End result was we losing out on our mother's love. We just want to take some action so that no other child suffers our fate. So this children's day we are asking students to talk at their home about giving dignity of life to widows. To treat them as humans. And make them sign a petition which can be submitted to the committee to allow the widows to light lamps in our Gowri Shankar mandir this new year. That will ensure they can move out, atleast do normal activities" told Poornima

" We are also planning to tell people to allow widows to wear clothing and Sringaar except the specific clothing and Sringaar of a Suhagan. Like Mangalsutra not needed, but she can wear a chain. Yes no kumkum bindi, but a kajal bindi can be kept, no bright colors but atleast light colors. No choodi, but atleast 1 kankan, so that they feel good about themselves" told Vaishnav

" Uncle will you come, will you support us. Dadiji, auntiji will you sign our petition" asked the children earnestly.

Sreedhar looked at his mother. Maheswari looked at the innocent faces. The eagerness to bring a change. To give something to other kids which they have been deprived of. She knew if she allow it a storm is going to be kicked. But she knew what needs to be done.

" Vindhya call Suman. Ask her to come here quick " told Maheswari. " Beta your tea will get cold. Drink it. You have talked too much" told Maheswari. Seeing her reassuring smile the children began to take tea.

Suman came down. Maheswari introduced the kids to her. Then she told the students. " Beta Sreedhar will come. He will endorse your plan. We will sign your petition. And Beta I promise you if you succeed in getting the committee approval for your plan, I will send her to the temple to light the diya, not in this white saree but the way you mentioned. In some color saree and minimal sringaar"

Suman looked at her MIL, Sreedhar turned away not wanting to show his tears of happiness to anyone. His Sumi will be liberated from the white dress. He couldn't believe it.

Poornima and Vaishnav jumped up hearing Maheswari and stood on either side of Suman. " Aunty we will liberate you. We will make every possible effort with our campaign to bring you back to the outer world, free you from this white dress "

Suman looked at the children. Poornima was the girl's name. So finally is she the one who is going to bring light in the darkness for her. She smiled and thanked the kids.

As the kids went Maheswari sighed. Yes she will have to deal with Rajasekhar. But this time Rajasekhar will have to deal with a mother. A mother who has seen the information he has hidden because of the mistake he committed. A mistake which could be the reason that cost her, her son and a young girl her life. Accepting the mistake would mean something he does not want or rather the tradition will not like. Murali cannot come back.But Maheswari knew Suman's life will not be held ransom for Rajasekhar's mistake. She will make effort to correct it and it will be corrected. Maheswari Varma has never known defeat in her life. She looked at Suman whose eyes were glittering with hope and then at Sreedhar who was basking under the new found glory. She smiled.