Maryada ya Bandhan

Poornima sat eagerly in front of the TV. She had already phoned and told her support for Sreedhar Varma. Now she was eagerly looking at what all will Maryada and Bandhan will cover.

" Welcome to today's edition of Maryada aur Bandhan. I myself Shekhar Srivastav welcomes you all to this programme.As we know today's our topic of discussion is making widows black omen. You already have seen our sting operation of how a young widow was made a victim in our own Pink City Jaipur and the valor of a young man Sreedhar Varma who stood upto traditions today. We have received immense support in our toll free line for Sreedhar Varma and his act of bravery today. So well done our hero Sreedhar Varma, you have made us believe in humanity once again. Now introducing you to your estemmed panelists for today's discussion. We have Mr Rupinder Singh Retired DGP from Jaipur, Miss Asha Singhal from National Commision of women and Mrs Vibhuti Sonipat who is a victim of widow witch hunt, who has survived the same and now runs an NGO " Berang ke Rang" means color for the colorless. We also have an esteemed guest Mrs Chandrika Das and her daughter Sushma Das who have to come to this forum seeking justice with their heartbreaking story. So we will start our show first proceeding to Miss Asha on her views on why even after so many social reforms the evil of widow witch hunting still exist in India.

Dinakar looked at his younger brother the Mahantji. He was fuming already hearing the name of Chandrika Das. He sat silent. Karma was coming back to his brother. All the omens were there. He thought he will speak to Diwakar post the programme. Mahantji's elder brother was a very spiritual personality. Well versed in Vedas, Shastras, Tantric Pooja Vidhis, astrology and other predictive sciences 20 years back he was supposed to be the great Mahant of the community. But Diwakar had rigged the voting process at the last minute and he became the Mahant. Dinakar knew what his brother did, but there was no proof. It was like that for all his deeds. He had misused the divine knowledge for all the selfish purposes. He has used them to frighten people. While the divine sciences were there to support people to find solutions to their problems, he used them to manipulate people , for his power structure. But Dinakar now knew the signs were visible, what was unexplainable to him with all his knowledge few months back was slowly opening up, he was able to connect the dots.

We are back after the short break Shekhar continued as you heard Miss Asha's views on the issue that widow witch hunting mainly happens because of superstitions. There is no scientific explanation for such superstitions, but then the traditional people use them to manipulate people. Now Sir what has been your experience as DGP in Rajasthan.

" Shekhar, Asha told about superstitions, but for me superstition is a miniscule part. The real part is the wealth. The crime on widows is always for holding wealth. This evil omen happens because she need not be given any property, also she is made completely dependable and people can use her as they want. In my experience I have had father in laws raping the young widow DIL for years to satisfy their carnal desire. The girl keeps silent fearing social hegemony and also afraid of surviving on streets. Even cruel abortions happen. These people don't register cases. It is when they are bought to hospital in almost dead conditions some doctors inform us. Some die. Some we manage to send them to rehabiltation"

" So Sir are you telling all this maryadas are just a white wash to hide the real intentions. Like depriving the woman her rights, misusing her vulnerability. "

" Exactly Shekhar and I feel Mrs Vibhuti whom our team had rescued 7 years back will be in a better position to tell you her real life experience "

" Thank you Sir and Sir I will always indebted to you and your team for supporting me that eventful day" told Vibhuti. To the audience listening to this programme I would like to tell my husband passed away 2 months into our marriage. My parents requested my sasural to send me to maayka. But they didn't send me because I had a piece of land in my name. My father was a progressive man who decided his sons and daughters should have equal share of his wealth. It was after about 6 months I understood their real intention. They wanted me to marry my good for nothing devar. Unlike my husband my devar was an alchoholic and had no job. For them I was a lottery to be given to their useless son. Since widow I had no money with me and no jewellery. I was not allowed to go anywhere, not even to temple. See why a widow is not made to wear any shringaar or jewellery is because jewellery gives a woman some kind of financial protection. If she wants to escape, she can use the jewellery. So jewellery is denied, to hide the intention shringaar is also denied. I refused. But they tied me up and fixed the marriage. On the day of my wedding, when I was being bought to mandap, I pushed people and started to run. It was difficult for me with the lehenga. But I knew this was my chance. I pushed past the startled people and somehow reached the road. They were chasing me. But then I guess my stars were right for a police jeep stopped in front of me and Sir rescued me. I filed the case. Case went on for 3 before my in laws for jail for 7 years, a miniscule for what I had suffered and still they have given appeal in Supreme court. But for me my parents decided to take me. I studied, got a job. I didn't had any interest in marriage any more. With my salary I created this NGO 3 years back with some volunteers. We go to every place in Rajasthan and keep our help line numbers. So far we have managed to rehabiltate 150 widows. We have given them training and have made them self sufficient to take care of themselves and their kids. We have also conducted remarriage of some 5-10 ladies and they are settled happily with their new families.

Thank you Mrs Vibhuti for sharing this experience of courage and determination with us. To our viewers we give the help line numbers of Mrs Vibhuti's NGO. If a widow is in trouble, or if someone knows a widow in trouble please call this help line. Volunteers of Berang ke Rang will be there to support you. Before I move on to the most sensational part of our programme today, madam I would like to know your views on Sreedhar Varma.

Vibhuti smiled. " Shekhar Rajasthan needs more men like Sreedhar. He was a man today and I applaud him for that"

Thank you Mrs Vibhuti Sonipat for your views. So everyone we will be back after a short break to discuss what Mrs Chandrika Das want to tell us.

" Man, does this woman even know what a man is. Sreedhar Varma has only got hot blood because a young woman fell on him, he decided to become a hero. Will see how far his hot bloodness will go " shouted Virender Rajput looking at the TV.

" Virender there is no point feeling jealous seeing a man. Maheswariji should be proud of her son. I feel atleast for the pretense we should go to Suman's sasural " told Bhavani Rajput

" Bhavani" shouted her MIL. What pride you are talking about. Son questioning the tradition, we never expected Rajasekhar Varma's son to question tradtions"

" Maa if a son stands for what is right a mother will feel proud. I don't know about you. Maybe your pride is in when your son visits the house of prostitute after prostitute. Maybe that is the tradition you have taught your son." Retorted Bhavani for the first time. She didn't know from where her courage came in. But the eyes of Sreedhar Varma, the unflinching truth in them had finally made Bhavani speak, speak her heart. She was fed up being silent.

" Bhavani if a wife cant give what a husband wants then it will happen" her MIL snapped

" So should I assume what you taught your son is the fact that the wife is only for the bedroom " Bhavani gave a wry smile.

" Bhavani " Virender got up " What will you do Virender. Beat me up. Well that you have been doing for past 21 years. Or keep the hot tawa on my hands. You cannot kill me that I know. You need your pretense of a progressive man."

" Now tell me Virender are we going or not. I only want to know that" told Bhavani

Virender looked at his wife. He knew he had no option. He had to go for the courtesy call and meet the boy.

" We will go after 2 days " he told.

" Fine. Maa don't expect me for any work for 2 days. I need to make Malpau and Rabdi to take to Suman's house " told Bhavani.

" Take Solah Sringaar also. After all your daughter is teaching dance and it seems doing embroidery also" her MIL told

" Maa if Murali Manohar wills there will come a day when my daughter will wear the Solah Sringaar a second time . This time with her will " she walked towards the kitchen

Virender Rajput looked at the TV. Even during break every channel was showing Sreedhar Varma getting whipping. He was feeling angry. It was as if the young man's eyes were challenging him, mocking him. He threw the vase towards the TV. The vase didn't hit the TV, only his hand bled and once again from TV Sreedhar's Varma's eyes challenged him.