The Punishment

Sreedhar looked at the man coming with whip. He stood straight. As the first whip fell on him he didn't flinch. His mind was concentrated on Suman. Their dance where she held his hand when he asked whether she trusts him, her first letter in which she told she trusted him, the way she came with him jumping the hostel wall for the movie, the whips were happening 6-7, he could feel his body burn but the visual was again going back to Suman. The way she took his hand and they walked around the Durga Temple. Each round she walking with him telling the vows. Then she standing on the balcony telling him she wants to live with him, then Jagratha and they rolling over. The visual freezed there, it was not moving, it was lingering at that moment, a moment that was sending strength through him and as the whipping man said 20 Sreedhar realized what was that he wanted the most in his relation with Suman. What is that he had wanted to protect. He wanted to tell her. But he was tired, his body was burning, his voice was not coming.

Maheswari stood ground. Renuka tried to hold her. But she stood straight without any help looking at her son gets whipped. Tears were brimming in her eyes but there was pride along side that.

Rajasekhar looked at the whipping. He was feeling with each wound on his body his son was shaking the foundation of the system. Effect was visible. Many people had left the hall. Some were even murmuring if they stood and watched it maybe they will get wrath of Maa Durga. Tilak fought the system, so he could be contained. But system was fighting Sreedhar now for its survival. Rajasekhar was feeling as if all that was familiar to him was crumbling.

Harkishore had not expected it. He looked at the unflinching eyes of Sreedhar. All he could remember was

" Beta will you have puri ". Their Malik's youngest son was as usual roaming around in the common lunch room on a Saturday afternoon with his adorable smile and innocent questions not allowing anyone to take him in their lap.

When he heard puri the boy stood silent, smiled and stretched his hand. " You have to sit in Mamu's lap " . The boy nodded, jumped into the lap and stretched his hand. Harkishore gave him puri. He ate happily. As soon as he finished, jumped from the lap smiled and ran away.

When it 7 or 8 whips Harkishore couldn't take it any more as the adorable face of the 6 or 7 year old boy flashed in his mind again and again. He was not sure now whether his decision was right. He wanted to think. To a Pratap who looked confused he asked to follow him as he walked out of the hall.

Suman was like a stone till they reached home. Once she reached home she ran upstairs to her room. Vindhya after giving instructions to the maid to take care of the kids and not allow them upstairs sprinted behind her. Once in the room Suman collapsed in Vindhya's lap and started crying hysterically.

" Why did he do it bhabi. Why did he do it. If it was just 10 whips I would have still made peace with it. But why alone 20 whips. Does he even understand what is going through me. Does he even know I am breaking every moment. Does he even understand my helplessness in not able to go near him, not able to put medicine on his wounds, not able to talk to him properly, tell him again and again I love him so much. I cannot do anything bhabi, the chains of society doesn't allow me to do anything to him, which I wanted to do for him. And he ordered me to take this poison, take this pain. I cannot take it bhabi, I cannot, I have taken enough on me, but I cant take it on him, I will collapse."

Vindhya held Suman's shoulders. " Suman look here. Are you understanding him. You know him. But do you understand him. A woman has to understand a man Suman. She has to understand why he does what he does. You are no longer a girl who is dancing with him on the stage or going with him for a movie. You are a woman and if you are going to be a wife tomorrow to him, stop crying and learn to understand him"

Suman stared at Vindhya Bhabi " But Bhabi.."

" You will be asking what is understanding. You said now you cannot go near him, take care of his wound etc etc.. did you realize his helplessness when he saw you as a widow when he came. Do you realize his shock, his inability to share the pain with anyone. Your pain could be seen by us, maybe you were shocked as Sree and Murali looks similar. But him. He might have broken down in his room alone, not showing pain to anyone. Do you realize his helplessness when he heard from your friend that you made suicide attempt. His added pain when he knew you were locked up in a room. He loves you Suman and when he had gone to US he had not expected anything. Everyday he was going through a guilt trip unable to hold you, unable to wipe your tears or unable to shout at people who were calling you names. He was not there. But still he holds himself responsible for your fate. It is his way of doing things to come out of the guilt trip. He cannot sit and watch when you are going to be whipped publicly. No a man cannot take that when they are there. Somewhere they are a bit possessive about us. Not just Sreedhar, if it is me in place of you and Sudhir had to do it, Sudhir will do it. It is his way of walking your path. Now the pain he took, you might have to take. And you have to accept it. Both of you have withstood so much. This is also another storm that will pass. Suman be strong. Don't question him, don't force him to reply. Just understand his need. His love for you. If you understand him, he too will understand you. Suman to start married life you need love, but to keep it going you need understanding. So wash your face. Your Sreedhar has become a hero. Be happy about it. Let me bring some water for you."

Suman looked at Vindhya Bhabi.She remembered in addition to what all he has known in her anger yesterday she had shouted all the things that were done to her to get her married. How much it would have hurt him and added to his helplessness. And her statement she wanted to jump in the pyre and die. She looked at her hand which still had the red mark around her wrist. She knew it was his pain. She wiped her tears. Atleast she could open up her feelings and what bhabi said was true. She had witnessed admiration for him in many eyes when she came out. She had to be strong for him. Their love was being tested and they cannot fail.