Free Passes

" Sumanji here are 2 passes for our Sunday's Charity Bash. We would have loved to give you more, but you know why we are conducting it right. So we have only limited free passes and the paid passes are all sold in a day, because this year we have managed to bring " Hariharan" to our concert" . told the father of one of Suman's student.

" No issues sir. I perfectly understand. I am so happy that you gave me 2 passes. Children perform well. I am not sure whether I will be able to come. But someone from the family will surely come" said Suman

" Teacher you wont come, wont you want us to see our performance" asked one girl

" Not like that, bring photos and if someone from here comes , they will tell right how you all performed"

" Teacher please come. We have given you passes " another girl begged

" Beta don't put pressure. Sumanji I understand" said a lady who was a student's mother. Suman smiled.

Everyone was sitting for dinner. Poornima stood with the ladies telling she will have dinner with them only.

" Maa want to tell something" told Suman hesitatingly

" What Suman and why are you hesitating"

" Maa you know right I have been teaching to some students for a performance in Army's new year charity bash which is happening this Sunday. One of the parent has given me 2 passes to attend the event. Sudhir Jethji can go with Vindhya Bhabi or Tilak Jethji can go with Renu Bhabi"

" Suman what is happening there and why they gave you only 2 passes" asked Maheswari

" Maa this is programme conducted to raise funds for the rehabilitation of our martyr's families. So free passes is limited. And the parent told since they are bringing Bollywood singer " Hariharan" for a live performance all paid passes are sold out "

" Hariharan is coming " exclaimed Poornima

" Why you know him" asked Vindhya

"Chachi he is a sensation . Have you heard Colonial cousins's Krishna. It's a beautiful fusion of eastern and western music and Tu hi Re. Uff that song " Maut ya Zindagi tere haaton mein de diya re .. "

" Gudiya 10th board exam is not that far away" . Poornima looked at Tilak and smiled sheepishly. " Papa I know, I am just " . " Carry on I was just teasing" told Tilak

" Papa Poornima didi likes Tu hi re, but the best song of Bombay is not that . You know it is " Hamma Hamma" told Aakash ." Hamma, Hamma " joined both Nami and Adwaith

" How do you know " looked Renu at the kids happily chanting Hamma.

" Sreedhar chachu has cassette. He plays it in his room" told Aakash

Sreedhar smiled. Well music, dance none of such things were encouraged much at home. But he had convinced Papa for a tape recorder and was allowed one with strict instruction loud music will not be there. Family never went to theatre. News ,Cricket and weekend movie was the only thing watched on the TV. Now kids knowing this much music was surprise to all.

" Sreedhar what all cassettes you have in the room. And what more kids are learning " looked Renu at her devar with a mock sterness

" Now even kids know Bombay. Sreedhar when are you bringing cassette of Bombay. Long time no movies " Vindhya made faces.

" Maa ask Sudhir Jethji and Vindhya Bhabi to go for the Charity Bash. Bhabi will be happy and her complaint will be over. Let her hear Hariharan" told Sreedhar.

" One sec Sreedhar. You don't have to tell me whom I need to send for this function. Let me make it very clear. This pass was given to Suman. She had taught the students. As a teacher she will very much want to see her students performance. It is her right. And I don't think her right should be denied to her. Sreedhar you will take her to the Charity Bash. Take Adwaith also along with you. One more thing. She is the bahu of Varma family. Ensure she is not disrespected by anyone for anything. Suman you are going to a big event. Dress up in such a way that you look elegant as this family's bahu with whatever Sringaar allowed for you. Renu send Adwaith also dressed properly" told Maheswari.

Vindhya and Sudhir were trying hard to suppress their laughter. Sreedhar looked happy but surprised too. Suman was just able to mutter " Thank you Maa" as tears of happiness flowed from her eyes and she ran to the kitchen with Vindhya following her. Maheswari looked at the girl. She knew the girl will never tell she wanted to go, but the fact was that she very much wanted to go. She had put that much hardwork with her students.

Vindhya wiped Suman's tears. " I know it is tears of happiness for you. Go with him Suman. More than any Hariharan singing, I know you will cherish every moment spend with him. Am I right"

Suman nodded. That night Sreedhar opened the letter she had given him through Vindhya Bhabi.

" Sreedhar do you know how happy I am. Not that I am going to watch the dance, but the fact that you can see the performance. I had very much wanted you to see my students dance. To tell me how good it is. Because what you feel means a lot to me. "

He folded the paper and hummed the lines " Maut ya Zindagi tere haaton mein de diya re ".

" Sumi even one moment spend with you fills me with happiness and when I am forced to stay away from you it feels as if there is no heartbeat in me" He closed his eyes only to see her smiling face.