Money Matters

Vaishnav looked at the dinner plate in front of him. There was rasmalai, aloo bhindi, Pulao, bajre ki roti, masala filled mirchi. Never in his life he has seen so much variety of food for his birthday. His nanu did pooja in the temple. That was it. The sweet they got was the Prasad from the temple.

He looked at his mami " Mami what is all this. Why so many dishes"

" Heard your friend Poornima bought sweets from home for you and I heard her mother prepared kheer for you when you went there for combine study. Why should others celebrate your birthday while your family is there "

" Mami how come suddenly my birthday become auspicious. You always call it the most inauspicious day right . I was put a year late in school though kids born in Feb are now in 11th std. Dadu had to plead with you right to put me to school as you were not ready to give admission fees and his deposit was not mature at that time and you denied. How come the boy who killed his parents became auspicious for you" he asked sarcastically

" Beta all this happen in the family. You should not take it to heart . Now you have got your inheritance and outsiders will treat you well to get a portion of it. So beware" told his another mami

" Mami if you are talking about Sreedhar uncle and Maheswari Dadi and other members of Varma family they don't need my inheritance or they don't have a need to dupe me. They are well off family. Now coming to my inheritance I will do to Deepika Didi what a brother will do under normal circumstances for his sister's marriage. You are not going to get anything extra for keeping this dishes. I may not be an adult officially but at 16 I have enough intelligence to differentiate between good and bad. By the way thanks for the dinner. I know it is not right to waste the food, so I am eating. But on any day the kheer made by Renu aunty has more taste than this. "

" Vaishu we have committed to groom's party that we will give ..." started his mama

" Vaishnav " corrected Vaishnav. " I have not changed, neither anything about me. I was Vaishnav to you one month back, so let it be Vaishnav now also. The privilege of calling me Vaishu I have given only to those people to whom I was Vaishu when I was not Vaishnav Samrat officially. Coming to what you have promised to the groom. You didn't ask me when you promised. Now it is your problem, not my problem. As much as giving dignity to widows was my problem not yours"

He finished his dinner and walked to his room leaving behind a startled family.

" The boy had cooked for himself when he used to have exams because you all had so many other problems to give just rice and dal for him. Don't you have some shame. Coming seeing the money. Don't worry. For one more month he is capable of cooking and eating himself. Then we will move to the new haveli" told nanu to his sons and DILs.

" Bhabi pack your bags" came in Praveen Samrat and told Charulatha

" Pack my bags but where are you sending me " asked Charulatha

" Vrindavan. It's good for you. We have so much trouble here. Your daughter went away not giving us a chance to somehow salvage the issue. Now let her see her mother begging in Vrindavan as we cannot feed an extra mouth."

" But my daughter is married well right, why don't you ask her to take me" asked Charulatha

" We asked but your daughter told she wants peace in her new home and she cant have you" told Praveen.

" Now come bhabi, else I will have to drag you"

Charulatha tried to protest but soon her sons came and dragged her. Just they were trying to take her to the waiting van they saw Vaishnav coming. Charulatha ran to him

" Beta I know you will come. You have a heart of gold right. Take me with you to the new haveli. I will make tasty dishes for you"

Vaishnav made her stand aside and it was then they saw Vibhuti. Vaishnav looked at Charulatha

" Taiji you will go with her. They offer work for widows. Learn the work , work for your daily need and live in the accommodation provided by their foundation. They will provide you with a life of dignity and a sense of security with other woman" told Vaishnav

" Why cant you take her then" shouted Praveen

" Praveen Tauji I am not God to forgive everything she did, but I am neither devil to see her begging in the streets. Whatever I am doing, I am doing in the name of humanity. I knew you will do something of this sort. Hence I called Vibhuti aunty through the number I got during that panel discussion in maryada ya bandhan. So Taiji this is your choice. Either beg in the streets or go with Vibhuti aunty, work and live a life of dignity. Choice is yours"

Charulatha looked at the boy dumbstruck. Either work or beg. Work was better. Atleast she will get food. She went near Vibhuti who asked her to accompany her. For Praveen anyway it was a headache gone. Vaishnav thanked Vibhuti and she told it was because of youngsters like him their help is able to reach target audience.