The Charity Bash

" Suman you sit in front, let Adwaith sit behind. Else he will distract Sreedhar. He doesn't sit quite for a minute" told Renu.

They were getting ready to go for the Charity Bash and Suman made Adwaith sit in front. Maheswari agreed to Renu " Suman put him behind, let him run over the entire back seat"

Suman sat in front and as the car pulled out of the driveway Sreedhar gazed at her. She was wearing a light pink saree with chickenwork. " Sreedhar keep your eyes on the road, I am here to check on Adwaith. He is doing fine behind" she smiled. Sreedhar smiled back and she could see his face glowing.

They reached the venue and as soon as they entered one lady came running " Suman I am so happy you have come. Your students were complaining till now. Sreedhar so glad your Maa allowed her to come. Come let me show your seats." She ushered them in and as they moved in she introduced them to many people there. Finally they were made to sit in a table in the far right. The seating was arranged in the lawn in such a way that at every angle you could see the programme."

" You wait. Programme will soon start. Meanwhile have drinks. Let me tell the girls you have come. They will be enthusiastic ". The waiter came with both beer and soft drinks. Sreedhar took a coke, while Suman took Mirinda for herself and Adwaith. Adwaith insisted on wanting what is in Sreedhar's hand. Finally Suman had to relent and get him a coke. But the boy took only one sip and pushed the glass away. Suman gave her Mirinda to him and took the coke glass. Sreedhar smiled as she began to sip coke. He knew Suman didn't like coke and they used to fight over it.

" Sreedhar atleast now take something which Adwaith will also eat. Don't tempt him with fancy things" she rolled her eyes as she reluctantly sipped the coke and he gave her a laugh.

Soon the programme started. There was a welcome speech by Retd Army General. Then there was another speech a dignified lady Anuradha who said to be in charge of the widow rehabilitation of programme in Jaipur. She talked about the sacrifices the family of army men make and how the society has to support their families when the army man becomes a martyr. She outlined the programmes they do for supporting the ladies which includes exhibition of products made by them, funding the children's education etc... Then the events started. Soon it was Suman's students dance. When the dance started itself it was announced it was choreographed by Suman Varma. As the curtain lifted Sreedhar could see Suman was tensed. He used his feet and gently touched her feet. Startled she looked at him. He gently caressed her feet his eyes indicating everything will be fine. The tables were covered completely with fancy cloth and that gave Sreedhar freedom to touch Suman's feet without anyone seeing.

The song started as the 7 girls assembled. " Morni Bhaga mein bole Aadhi Ratma". The song continued and the girls danced perfectly

Sreedhar and Suman looked at each other. Suman felt herself in his arms as the dance continued and Sreedhar continued caressing her feet. Finally the dance was completed to a thunderous applause and Suman asked Sreedhar how was it.

" Sumanji it is beautiful. I am not telling just like that. You have choreographed it really well. I especially loved the steps you have put for the lyrics " Mein ghunghat mein jal gayi, kitne sawan barse, meri pyaaz na buji re barsatma". The girls have carried the pain of waiting for your loved one so well. She smiled knowing well it wouldn't have been different. The wait she is taking for him was enough to choreograph those lines. As if reading her thoughts she could see his eyes reflecting the silent pain. She leaned forward and with her feet gently touched his feet softly caressing. Their eyes met, hers indicating him not to be sad. The moment was interrupted by girls coming and hugging Suman.

" Suman teacher we are so happy to see you. How was it. Did we do well. Hello uncle tell us how did the dance go"

" It was really good girls. You rocked told Sreedhar"

" Why are you not asking my chotu nephew here. How did you girls fare" Suman told the girls indicating towards Adwaith.

One girl went near him and asked whether she can take him. Adwaith smiled at her as she took him. Soon the girls began taking turns to lift the child and then the announcement for next programme came. Suman asked the girls to go , change and come, taking Adwaith from their hands.

Finally it was the concert by Hariharan. From the time he took the stage people were shouting " Tu hi re, tu hi re". But it was the last song he chose to sing. Neverthless it was a soulful concert which both Suman and Sreedhar enjoyed thoroughly.

Once the programme was over an announcement came that dinner will be ready in another 20-25 mins. Meanwhile the dance floor is open. Also there are programmes arranged for the kids. The girls came back to Suman's seat and requested to take Adwaith for some games. Suman wanted to accompany them, but then Anuradha came, asking her whether she will accompany her to meet some people. Sreedhar told Suman to go with Anuradha telling he will look at Adwaith. Suman nodded as she followed Anuradha and the girls took Adwaith. Sreedhar sat alone in the table as he saw couples moving towards the dance floor his mind wandering to the moments of their stage performance " Kuch Na Kaho" where he had Suman in his arms.