The Purity

Rakhi and Rajdeep had bought everyone to the farm. Latika Mami had told post lunch they all should go and show Suman and Poornima the fields. Since it was a bit hot Latika Mami didn't allow Nami and Adwaith to go and asked them to play with Saran and Shreya. She gave a bag with lime juice, cut mangoes flavoured with salt and mirchi, and home made snacks in Rakhi's hand so that they can have it in the fields itself.

Sreedhar observed Suman. She was chatting with Rakhi like anything and was completely comfortable with her. But then she has not looked at him once since he took that packet yesterday. When he tried to look she averted eyes. When he tried to talk she rushed, now also she was keeping a distant pace with him.

Sreedhar knew it cannot go on. They were going to Ria's place tomorrow. Suman cannot go there in this condition and behave uncomfortably in front of all of them . He needed to speak to her and clear whatever inhibitions she was having. But how was the question. Rajdeep and Rakhi were with them.

He looked at Vaishnav and Poornima chatting and enjoying the bajra and corn fields. He knew only they could help him. There was a barn at the far end of the field and he knew once he could get Suman there he will be able to talk if Vaishu and Poorni can keep Rakhi and Rajdeep distracted enough.

He excused himself with Rajdeep and called Poorni and indicated to Vaishu give company to Rajdeep. Vaishu did as requested and Sreedhar told Poorni his need.

" Chachu don't worry. Me and Vaishu will ensure you and Chachi get some private time." As she moved away from Sreedhar, Vaishnav also systematically moved away from Rajdeep. Sreedhar went back to Rajdeep , while Poorni and Vaishu discussed what they need to do.

Poorni told " Rakhi didi we are walking for so much time. Can we have food. I am feeling very hungry"

" Yes of course Poorni why not " told Rakhi and they all sat and feasted on the food. During the course of food Rakhi was engaged in conversation by Poorni and Vaishu engaged Rajdeep with this question and that question.

So once the food was over the group was split into Rakhi –Poorni, Rajdeep –Vaishu. Suman had no choice but to walk with Sreedhar. She kept her head lowered. Sreedhar increased his pace indicating her to follow. Suman said no, but his eyes were firm and he whispered " Don't create a scene". Suman took her pallu and covered herself. Sreedhar was surprised. What has happened to her. She was never uncomfortable with him except maybe for the first 2-3 days they practiced Jodi dance in college. He looked behind. Poorni and Vaishu had kept their side of the bargain well. They were far behind.

Soon they reached the barn and once they entered Sreedhar closed it three fourth and put on the light. He knew from experience at this time no one will come there as due to summer time workers went home by noon.

Sreedhar looked at Suman who had turned away from him and was leaning on the hay in the barn.

" Sumi" he called her gently and placed a hand on her shoulder. She went rigid

" Sumi what is the problem. Why are you behaving like this. Unless you tell something how will I understand. "

" I am sorry. Don't scold me. It will not happen next time" she murmured still not looking at him

" Sorry" Sreedhar was perplexed

" Sorry for what. What did you do to offend me " asked Sreedhar.

" You have bought me here to scold right because you had to take that packet. It is dirty for you right" told Suman

" Stayfree. Sumi. Who told you it is dirty for me. And why should it be dirty for me. I have enough common sense to know it is a product used by ladies for hygiene purpose during their monthly cycle. And scolding you. Sumi me and Kailasah had bought a packet of Stayfree for Shalini when we had gone for inter college competition in Agra"