The Values

" Now what do they want Priti " asked Jaideep to his bahu as they sat for dinner. In the haweli there was no dining table and people had food sitting in the floor.

" Bauji that..." Priti hesitated

" Tell bahu I know the ways of the world very well. Everyone wants to take the daughter from this family, but they don't want our values. "

" Bauji they asked me to bring Raji to Mandir tomorrow for Nazar utharna"

" Thought so the way they went in a hurry. Did they ask whether we will be having Suman for engagement."

" Bauji they told clearly they don't want to see Suman for engagement or marriage."

" And they might have told we respect your values, but then if we want to take the alliance forward we should listen to them"

" Dadu if you feel what they told is not right I will return the Shagun" told Raji

Jaideep called his grand daughter " No Raji. Mayank is a good boy and that family is not bad. But then there are certain things which only time can change. Dadu will ask only one thing from you. Never forget the values we have taught you here. If you cant be like my Maheswari atleast don't be like Sobha. Base minimum try to be like your Geetha Bua."

" What happened my mamu is giving lecture to Raji. Who disobeyed you Mamu and why my Maa's name is taken " came Sreedhar down the stairs along with Vaishu, Aakash and Adwaith and sat beside his mamu

" Sreedhar I was just telling her to be like lotus. The way your mother is. Lotus grows in dirt yet it doesn't touch dirt and stand above it. And your Mausi she just fell into dirt "

" Bauji you again started on Sobha Mausi. Don't stress yourself " told Chaya

" Chaya bahu why wouldn't I stress myself. Look at Sreedhar and Sourabh. The girl who gets my Sreedhar as her husband will be the luckiest in the world and Sourabh I pity the girl on whom the fate of being his better half is going to fall. Both have mother's who went from this house. Mother's who have been taught the values by my father and me. Is this the way you propagate values. "

The hall went silent once again as they saw Suman coming down with Poorni and Nami.

" Why is everyone silent. Latika Mami please don't try to hide information from me. Believe me I can take it. I have taken it " told Suman

" Suman Beta I was just telling your mamu it is all about perceptions. For us you are Mahalakshmi as with you came good news. But then Raji's would be sasural have asked to bring her for a nazar utharna ceremony tomorrow to temple as they saw you"

Sreedhar saw tears brimming in Suman's eyes, but she smiled " Mami do it, what is the harm in doing it. Even if someone's evil eyes have fell on Raji inadvertently it will be erased ". When Suman tried to serve they all stopped her telling she is the guest and they will do the job. But Suman told if they consider her family they will have to allow her to serve. Latika Mami had to relent finally.

Sreedhar noticed Suman didn't look at him when she served. He thought she will be fine the next day. Soon dinner was completed and everyone retired to their rooms.

When Rakhi came Suman made her sit on the bed " Rakhi can I ask you one question"

" Yes bhabi you can ask me any questions" told Rakhi

" Rakhi you didn't find it odd I was too silent when no one told me anything about the tragedy. You didn't find it odd I was not asking for Murali."

" Bhabi doctor told you had been hit in the head. He even told you might suffer temporary memory loss. But he told for sure you can be disoriented for days due to impact. Hence no one felt anything odd about the way you behaved" told Rakhi

Suman smiled. She was just trying to see she had not muttered anything inadvertently in her unconscious state

" Ok Rakhi shall we sleep, I am very tired today" told Suman

" Yes Bhabi I will ask all my questions tomorrow" told Rakhi

" Of course I will answer all your questions tomorrow" told Suman

Rakhi switched off the light. Suman tried to sleep but her thoughts wandered on Sreedhar taking that Stayfree packet

"Bhaiyya I am sorry. I kept it in the wrong bag " Suman cried, she was in 9th std

" Don't you even know we men don't touch such dirty things. Now I have to take a bath" her cousin brother Akshay slapped her hard. Suman had inadvertently kept the Stayfree packet she purchased from the medical shop in the bag which had grocery. It was always Bhavani or Devika who took the groceries. So she thought she will take the packet when they are removing groceries. But Akshay came to check onto something and he unwrapped the brown cover that was kept on top

" What happened Akshay" came Virender

" Chachu see what your darling daughter has done. That full grocery would have to be thrown out now. She has kept this dirty thing on top of it"

Virender heated a tawa and kept it on Suman's arm shouting " Dirty things you woman have keep it to yourself, don't dare to bring it near men" Suman cried " Papa please " but Virender kept the tawa in her arm till the flesh burned.

Suman got up and sat startled, beads of perspiration running through her cheeks. She was in Jodhpur and Rakhi was sleeping peacefully next to her.Gingerly she touched the arm where the tawa was kept. The wound was healed, but the scar remained. She didn't know what Sreedhar would have felt. Wasn't that dirty thing for men. She hoped he doesn't scold her for being careless.