The Bangles

They had returned home and Suman was having a bath. As she poured water her memories flew to the time she had spent with Sreedhar in college his proposal, her reply, spending time in lover's corner, then their first hug.

It was about two weeks they were meeting in lovers corner. They sat close to each other and Sreedhar held her hand. That day Suman was tensed. She had to complete an assignment next day on Tale of Two Cities and she was still clueless on how to present her Point of View on the book. She had written multiple times, but she didn't feel satisfied. Aleena too was struggling and boys less said was better. Many of them waiting for girls to complete the assignment so that they can copy.

So Suman was distracted very much when Sreedhar was talking. " Sumi what happened you look so tense" he asked pulling her a bit closer

Even Suman didn't know why she did what she did, when Sreedhar puller her closer instinctively she placed her head on his chest and arms on his shoulders.

" I don't know what I will write for Tale of two cities. That Disha Madam is too strict. She wont even give marks if she doesn't like things" told Suman

She felt a hesitation in Sreedhar, but then he put his arms around her " Sumi why are you tensed. It is a beautiful love story. When you sit on the desk, close your eyes and feel the selfless love of Sydney Carton for Lucie I am sure the point of view will naturally come for you"

" Thank you Sreedhar. You solved my problem" saying she hugged him completely. They stayed in each other's arms for few mins and when they broke Suman blushed looking into his eyes. He was laughing . " I have to go.." she murmured.

" I will drop you" told Sreedhar.

Suman came to present. She had not looked at Sreedhar till they reached the hostel. But she knew every moment close to him she had enjoyed, she had felt happy. It was a smiling and blushing Suman who was lost in thoughts who came out of the bathroom. Water was dripping from her wet untied hair and her saree cling to her a bit.

" Bhabiji you look very happy. Share the happiness with me too naa" . Hearing the sound Suman looked up only to see Sourabh in front of her. There was no one in the corridor. Suman looked down and didn't see anyone there

" Bhabiji everyone is playing cricket outside. Mami and other bhabi's are in kitchen and Jaideep Mamu is in his room and Jaidev mamu has gone out" he grinned looking at her with lust .

Suman pulled her pallu and covered herself " Sourabh please go else I will shout. Don't forget I am your bhabi"

" Bhabi no one will hear if you shout from here as no one is there in the hall" . Suman tried to run, but Sourabh blocked her way, showing the choodi in his hands

" Allow me to put this bangles on you bhabi. You have very beautiful hands. Heard you visited Sreedhar's thinking room, do something for this devar also" he said trying to take her hands.

It was then Sourabh heard the shout " Sreedhar Chachu, Vaishnav Bhaiyya, Sourabh Chachu is asking Suman Chachi to wear bangles"

When he turned he saw Adwaith running down the stairs continuing the shout and immediately he changed tactics

" Bhabi I had told you naa if someone sees it will be a problem. I know you have all these desires, but then as per custom I cannot do it."

Suman didn't do what to say as people came to the corridor Jaideep Mamu leading the pack. Sreedhar and Vaishu also rushed from outside

" What are you doing here Sourabh" shouted Jaideep Mamu

" Arrey mamu ask Bhabiji. Yesterday Sreedhar didn't buy her bangles from the market, she signaled to me to get her bangles. So I bought her bangles. When I bought she asked me to put it in her hands. I said no telling she is my bhabi. She is like my mother. But she was insisting telling no one will see" told Sourabh.

Sreedhar felt his head spinning. What was this idiot telling. He saw Suman's eyes were welling up with tears.

" Suman bahu asked you to buy bangles" asked Jaideep Mamu

" Yes Mamu, else why she is silent" told Sourabh

Jaideep mamu held Sourabh by collar taking the bangles from him and before he could throw it Latika Mami caught it.

" Ji it is not right to break bangles in the house. "

" Latika you keep the bangles but today I will break his leg " told Jaideep Mamu as he dragged Sourabh

" But Mamu what did I do. Bhabiji insisted. See she is silent " told Sourabh

" Sourabh it is not for nothing I fought the quit India movement for 3 years from 1944-1947. In my 72 years of life I have seen all kind of people Sourabh. Suman bahu's lips are not telling anything, but her eyes, her eyes tells me what you were trying to do with her if Adwaith had not shouted. Many times even the silence of a woman speaks Sourabh. " told Jaideep Mamu taking his walking stick and beating Sourabh black and blue.

" Get out you scoundrel. From this moment don't show me your face. To me you are dead from today." Told Jaideep Mamu throwing his stick as Sourabh limped his way outside. As he went he gave Suman a glance and Suman covered herself more tightly with her pallu.

Once he went Jaideep Mamu sank in his armchair and Sreedhar sat beside him " Mamu please don't stress yourself. Why did you beat him. You could have just asked him to go"

" Sreedhar what should I do beta. Bahu is the honor of a family. Her parents have given her to this family trusting us. When beti goes to her sasural, it is bahu who fills that void. When the house falls silent without the sounds of beti's anklets, bahu's bangles bring the life in the house once again. She is the lamp. She is the Mahalakshmi. Today she was insulted not by an outsider beta, but by my own blood. My own nephew. What honor this old man has after years toiling to instill good values and behavior in everyone in the family"

" Dadaji don't blame yourself. I believe everyone can be given direction only. Whether to take it or not is an individual's choice. You have tried to give right direction to everyone. When someone didn't take it why should it be your problem. It is Sourabh uncle's problem that he doesn't know how to respect woman" told Vaishu

" Haan ji. What the child tells is true. Nowdon't strain yourself. It is getting time for evening aarti. Sreedhar andeveryone is here only for one more day. Let us not spend the remaining timediscussing about Sourabh" told Latika Mami and everyone dispersed to get readyfor evening aarti.