The Loneliness

Suman sat in her room. She looked at her hands. Mehendi had faded, but still it was there. In time it will also go. Then she looked at her white saree, this color will be forever her companion.

" Maa please Maa I don't want to marry. Listen to me Maa. I."Suman came out of her reverie. No she should not think about her past. Those memories are forbidden for her, those memories should be locked away, never to be opened.She again closed her eyes. 

Again memories but different one. One she saw everyday and accepted also. Some ladies had come. She was made to sit in the midst. They erased her sindoor, broke her bangles. Took all her ornaments. One old lady telling shave her hair too. She is Vishkanya. And don't allow to make her any public appearance. Her face is that inauspicious. 

Her MIL intervened. No need to shave her hair. She can leave it loose with no shringaar, no flowers. Enough of everything. What happened to my son is not her fault. It is his fate.Her MIL. Suman had expected to be thrown in streets, then people pelting stones on her. She didn't know what her MIL felt towards her, irrespective of losing her son immediately after marriage with her. But her MIL and her 2 SILs has been kind to her. They came. They talked. They send Namrata, Aakash and Adwaith in her room to play to chat with her. They never kept her isolated. She was allowed in kitchen, she was allowed in puja room.

But what truth they know. They think she is dead because of her husband's death. Did they ever realize that she was dead the moment she wore the Solah Sringaar. Did they knew her mother had not intentionally kept any diamond ornaments for her because she had tried to hang herself in the room. Did they ever know when the accident happened she was trying to open the door to jump from the car, run away or die and it was because of that she was thrown in the road and she survived, while others perished. Nobody knew. And it didn't matter to her now. Because she didn't had to be a wife, the white dress protected her from that role anymore. She could live on like this, till her last breath. In this room.