The Speech

Sreedhar took his mother's blessings before going to school. The programme was at evening 3'o clock. Renuka did the aarti and Vindhya gave him dahi shakkar. Suman gave a hand painted card which said " All the best ". Sreedhar knew there will be as usual hidden message in the card. He thought of reading it in the car as anyways the chauffeur was driving it. Rajasekhar had instructed him to use the chauffeur to ensure in such a function family's pride is kept. Else Sreedhar preferred to drive mostly.

He entered the car and as it passed the Varma mansion he began to check for hidden message in the card. He found the note and opened it.

" Sreedhar remember when I wrote the first letter to you, I had told I didn't want to lie to you. I didn't know where truth will take us, but still I will tell you the truth that I love you. Today I see in our truth a hope for many others. Yes I wore this white dress. You wanted to liberate me from this white dress. I also wanted to get liberated from this white dress and wanted to live my life with you. Our battle was personal. To get united against the odds the society has given us. Once again I don't know which all path our love story will take. But know one thing for sure. The path will bring light in many other lives. I feel happy once again for having told you the truth. [Love you Suman ]

Sreedhar read the letter multiple times each time feeling the love she has for him. He felt confident as he once again went through what he was planning to tell the students. He kept the card, but shred the note as he got out from the car and faced the students who were standing to welcome him.

Sreedhar was given a warm welcome by the students led by Poornima. He talked to the principal and some other teachers as they led him to the dias. The programme started with a Prayer. Then Poornima gave a welcome speech inviting everyone to the programme. Then Vaishnav talked about the " Colors" programme where he told the plans they have made, which included house to house visit by the Colors volunteers during weekends and in the evenings educating people on the need to treat the widows with dignity. Then the petition box where students could put the papers signed by their parents and elders in house supporting the Colors programme. And the plan of Colors volunteers to take the petition to the community leaders to allow Widows light a lamp in the mandir on New Year day thus allowing them to lead a life of dignity.

Then Poornima invited the Chief Guest of the programme Sreedhar Varma to share his thoughts on the subject.

When Sreedhar took the mike there was a big applause as if the students knew him. He smiled.

" Before I start my speech I want to know how many students do not have their mother's but have their father's . Could you please raise the hands" . Quite a few students raised their hands.

" I want to ask them after their mother's death, was their any negative change in their father's lives "?

" My father goes everywhere" told one student. " My father remarried and my new mother doesn't care for me" told another. " No change to my father's life. He is the same as before " came another voice.

" So when your mother was there and in her absence the society doesn't put any bindings on your father. He can move around. If he wants he can remarry. In every way he can lead a normal life the way it was before your mother's death. Am I right" asked Sreedhar. The children first gave a feeble yes. He said he cant hear. So then a louder yes came.

" Now I want to ask how many students have mother's but not their father's " a lot of hands came up on this one.

" Is their life same as it was before your father passed away" asked Sreedhar.

" No my mother is shut in a room. Even I am not allowed to meet her" told one.

" My mother always has to wear white saree, her head is shaved" told another