The Housewarming

Vaishnav it is true that you didn't call us for any help, but we are mature right. We should come to help you" told one of Vaishnav's mami trying to take things kept for Ganesh Pooja

" Vaishnav why did you call catering. We would have prepared food right. Only us, then Sarangi and her husband, with some of your friends right" told another mami

" I have not called any catering. Maheswari Dadiji , Renu Aunty , Maithreyi's mother and Rakesh's grandma has prepared food at Sreedhar Uncle's place. They will bring it here"

As they talked Sarangi came with her husband and niece. " Vaishu I am so sorry I couldn't come and help. Let me know anything I need to do " told Sarangi

" Didi ask Dinakarji on how to arrange things for Ganesh Pooja " told Vaishnav and went and welcomed Anmol. " Where is Nanu" asked Anmol.

" He is inside jeeju, dressing up. Will come now "

" How dare Varma family bring their widow bahu for such an auspicious function" screamed one of Vaishu's mami seeing the Varma family coming with Suman.

" Vaishnav have personally invited her " told Vaishu's nanu as he came out and welcomed the Varma's. The whole Varma family had come. Sreedhar , Sudhir and Rakesh took the food from the car and Vindhya directed them to take it to kitchen. Sarangi rushed to help Vindhya.

" Vaishnav don't you have some fear. Atleast fear God's Prakop. She is a widow " told another mami

" What kind of Prakop I should fear, the one which made the Chandelier fall on Sreedhar Uncle's head or the one which happened for Mahashivrathri. Anyways you call me inauspicious. The boy responsible for his parent's death. So me and Suman aunty are same. Come Suman aunty" Vaishnav held Suman's hand much to the displeasure of his two mamus and mamis. Soon Rakesh came with his grandma and Maitreyi too came with her parents and brother.

" Time for Ganesh Pooja" told Dinakar and Vaishnav at first prayed in front of his parents portraits, took blessing of his nanu and then sat for the same. Sreedhar saw Vaishnav's Nanu's eyes were teary. He was feeling so happy for his grandson who was rendered an orphan at the tender age and have grown up amid lot of hostility.

Once the Ganesh Pooja was done everyone was asked to move outside Haveli. Dinakar gave Kalash in Vaishnav's hand and told whoever the lady of the house is she will have to enter lighting the lamp.

" Vaishu Sarangi is doing it right" asked one of the mami

" No Suman Aunty is doing it " told Vaishnav

" Vaishnav what are you upto. A widow cannot do such things and how is she related to you" shouted one of Vaishnav's uncles

" Mamu if my Maa was there I wanted her to do it. Today I am seeing Suman aunty in my Maa's place. My Maa was also a widow right. And to do this I only need 2 people's permission. My dadu's and Dinakarji's. Both of them are fine with it. So I feel Suman Aunty can do it . Come Suman Aunty. Take and light the lamp"

" Everyone listening to a child. You too Dinakarji. Have money made you blind. After 20 years, you decided to do Pooja for such radical things, making kids move away from tradition. No wonder you didn't win election 20 years back. Those days people knew what tradition was and how it will be affected if you had power " shouted another of Vaishnav's uncles.

" Uncle to light a chulha and cook food at the age of 12 what was I. Child or adult " looked Vaishnav at his uncle fiercely and his uncle's eyes went down not able to meet his eye

" So if I was adult enough to cook in a chulha, I am adult enough to take decision now " . Suman had lighted the lamp and she moved with him to the Pooja room where the lamp was kept.

Vaishu's nanu looked at his sons, DILs and their families. Their confusions. They couldn't blindly leave because now since Vaishu had money they needed it. Yet the frustration of being sidelined completely was there in their face. At a time staying with them was Vaishu's need and they had exploited the boy like anything. Now being with Vaishu became their need and though grudgingly they were forced to approve his ways. He thought Bholenath has his ways of delivering justice.

Suman kept the vessel with milk on the gas stove and began to stir it as other ladies stood around. Soon the milk boiled and spilled over. Suman took the vessel, bought it to Pooja room. Everyone prayed and then Sarangi distributed the milk to everyone.

After the feast everyone said goodbye. Sreedhar told he need to bring the vessels so he will come once the remaining food is distributed to slum children and vessels are washed by the maids which Vaishnav had managed to employ. Poornima insisted on staying, but Suman told she needs her help with the shop interior as they will have to go and check it, so Poornima followed Suman. As she was leaving Suman gave a hand made card to Vaishnav smiling. Vaishnav kept the card on the table as he needed to go for food distribution

Once they were back from distributing food for slum children Sreedhar asked " Vaishu what is written in the card Suman gave you"

" One sec Uncle" saying it he opened the card. It read

" Dear Vaishu,

To live you need to feel wanted. You need to feel included. You need to feel good. You need to feel human and today you made me feel all this with your gesture. Thank you for giving me a special place in your heart equivalent to that your mother" [With Love Suman Aunty]

" Vaishu she said she felt special and do you know what I felt. I felt a big burden off my heart. To know there are people who don't consider my Sumi a Chudayil based on what happened to her" . Vaishnav saw tears rolling down from Sreedhar's eyes. Sreedhar held the boy with his shoulders and hugged him. This time Vaishnav too cried remembering his mother.