Mourning and Festival

What " thundered Maheswari. " We have to do Jagratha for Durgashthami. Doesnt Mahantji know the pyre of my son is still hot "

The family was seated for dinner and Rajasekhar had just broken the news that the committee has decided where the Jagratha's will be held for that years Navarathri. One among them was Varma Mansion and they had been given the most elaborate Jagratha on Durgasthami day. The Durgasthami Jagratha was very special and even people outside city thronged for such Jagratha's . The place where that Jagratha was conducted has to accommodate many people, food arrangements for that many people and generally it was big festive atmosphere. Varma family had conducted Durgashtami Jagratha's many times not only when the committee requested, at times when the one who got the lot had difficulty in conducting it. But this year, this year the family was in mourning and to conduct such an elaborate festival at their premises.

" Maheswari, I told Mahantji and Mahantji told some bad aspects are happening in the family and to ward it off we have to do it this year "

" Papa Mahantji upholds traditions very much and isnt against traditions to conduct a festival during mourning period " asked Tilak and Renuka could see him seething in anger

" You better don't talk about traditions Tilak " retorted back Rajasekhar and look in his eyes made Tilak silent

" Papa I tied my brother's sehra, and had not expected to give fire to his pyre the next day. The hand still burns Papa and you expect me to stand for Jagratha" Sudhir was clenching his fist when he asked the question.

" Sudhir now tell me what should I tell. In front of whole community the Mahantji has announced that bad aspects are there for family and we need to conduct this and ... "

" Now don't stop complete it " told Maheswari.

Rajasekhar looked at Suman and he tried to be silent. But Suman was hearing it everyday. It had stopped mattering to her. Widow on wedding day. The inauspicious shadow over Varma family

" Papa if it is me you don't have to stop. I have been used to hearing it " told Suman quietly.

Sreedhar looked at her and his brother's photo. He had not even seen his brother for one last time. What kind of path crossing the destiny had given him. If his brother was alive, Suman wouldn't have been. The fierce independent Suman wouldn't have succumbed to any tradition and accepted any other man in her life. She would have preferred to end her life as she already had proved. If she had done that, would he have lived. Could he ever have overcome the guilt that it was not her fate, but he had pushed her to it by not being there for her, by not listening to her pleas of marrying her. Answers were complex and again he have to listen to the barrage of insults thrown at her.

" Mahantji is telling Suman being here will bring more trouble to the family and to remove her inauspiciousness from spreading we have to do this Jagratha"

" Rubbish" it was Sreedhar this time. "She is not bringing us any trouble. If someone is bringing that is Mahantji"

" Sreedhar there is no point shouting. The whole community believes the inauspiciousness of Suman. Mahantji's wife tells her touch as poison that can kill. And other woman sees her sight as seeing evil spirit" told Rajasekhar.

" Well so you have decided we will have Jagratha over our son's pyre for the so called tradition. So be it. We will organize. I will not do it. Renuka and Vindhya ensure the so called Jagratha goes well. Yes I will be there in the Jagratha hall as I have to do the duty of being the lady of this Varma house, and that has to be over and above being a mother"

" Maa Sreedhar and Sudhir " tried to go near her. " Tilak, Sudhir, Sreedhar do what your father is asking. Let tradition happen as he wants. Men can break traditions at will to suit them, but a woman is not supposed to ask" Maheswari went to kitchen giving a hard glance to Rajasekhar and he lowered his eyes. Sreedhar looked at Suman, but she was looking elsewhere trying to hide her tears. " You are not poison Suman, neither you are evil spirit and one day everyone will know it or I will make sure everyone knows it" told Sreedhar in mind. Tilak was worried and he gave a silent glance to Sudhir. Sudhir tapped Sreedhar's shoulder indicating him they need to discuss. The brother's moved to the garden leaving the unfinished dinner. Renuka and Vindhya stared on.