The Insult

Anuradha took Suman to some ladies and introduced them to her. " Suman as you have heard we make widows of martyrs self-reliant by giving them training in various activities. Not only widows even the wives of jawans are encouraged to take up voluntary activities so that if need comes they can take it up as a vocation. I heard from some people here that you do fabric painting. Can I request you to come to army camp once or twice a week and teach the people here. We can discuss on your remuneration" told Anuradha

" Anuradhaji I feel honored to get such an offer from you. Yes I do fabric painting. Whether I can come here and teach I will have to discuss it with my family and based on the decision taken by Maa I will let you know " told Suman

" It is fine Suman. I understand. Whatever the decision do call and tell me in this number. If I am not there you can leave the message to the secretary" Anuradha gave her a card. Suman took it and kept it in her purse. Some ladies invited her to see the paintings and other handicrafts that has been done.

" Hello Sreedhar". Sreedhar was bought to present from his dreamland by this loud hello. He looked up and saw Naina. " Hello Naina" he told. " Sreedhar you alone, come let us go dance" she took his arm. Sreedhar was already feeling uncomfortable in her presence and he felt rather awkward when she took his arm. He gently removed her hand from his arm. " Naina I am not interested in dance at this point. See my nephew is playing there. I am responsible for him" he said pointing towards Adwaith.

" Oh your nephew, let me bring him" she went and took Adwaith who was playing ball. The startled boy started crying loudly. Suman who was coming back hearing the cry came running. Meanwhile Sreedhar too rushed and they almost took Adwaith together from Naina's arms. Adwaith jumped to Suman's arms and Suman looked at Naina quizzingly.

" Sumanji this is Naina Rawat, my junior in school and Naina this is ....

" I know your widow Bhabi. Now anyways she has come. She will take care of the child. Come let us go for a dance" told Naina.

Sreedhar looked at Suman. Her face showed the hurt of such a plain dismissal. She turned away to hide it.

" Sreedhar you go. I am with Adwaith. Come are you done with playing Adwaith"

" Sumanji wait one sec. Naina I clearly told I am in no mood to dance. Sumanji and Adwaith are my responsibility. Also it would be good if you can call Sumanji, Suman or Suman Varma. She has a name. She is not just widow bhabi" . Suman could see Naina's face flushed as Sreedhar walked towards their seat. Still she accompanied him to the seat, while Suman stayed with Adwaith.

" Ok ok Sreedhar it is fine. I mean if you want me to address her Suman it is ok. I hope you don't mind me sitting here. We can spend some time chatting" told Naina

Sreedhar looked away suppressing his anger. He knew her as empty head in school itself. To tolerate her now was near impossible , but he couldn't see a way to escape. Soon announcement came that dinner is ready. Naina once again dragged Sreedhar by arms. Suman watched it as she moved to the queue with Adwaith. Her eyes were welling up with tears. But she quickly controlled them, lest someone observed her.

She took a plate for her, and another for Adwaith. She gave the plate in hand of Adwaith and slowly guided the boy to take enough food items for himself, while taking herself.

Meanwhile Naina was going on blabbering with Sreedhar asking him to try this food and that food. When Sreedhar didn't take a dish, she put that dish in Sreedhar's plate. Sreedhar was losing patience, but he was mute. Soon they came back to the table. Naina didn't even give a courtesy glance to Suman. But Suman chose to ignore it. Adwaith insisted he wanted to sit on the top of the table. Suman could see sitting the boy will not reach the plate. So she took him and placed him on top of the table.