Sarangi's pain

It was next day after Pradeep Samrat's death. Though the Samrat's were a bit hostile to Varma's, looking at the occasion nobody said or did anything publicly. Maheswari and Renu went and met Charulatha who was made to wear white, head shaved and was kept in a corner. As they came out Renu asked

" Maa now there is no need to behave like this to widows naa, then why are they doing it to Charulathaji"

" Renu, Dinakarji and other members have given a guideline which the members can follow if they want. We have decided to follow. Like us there are many who are following. You know right Sumati's sister no longer wears white. Just like Suman she too wears some light color sarees and moves around now to temple market etc. with her daughter. But Samrat's and all are very orthodox people. What can we say. It is their family matter. Charulathaji will have to bear it. Actually I am worried about her daughter Sarangi. The girl looked forlorn and not one of her bhabi's stood beside her which is not right. She is just 16 or 17"

Vaishnav was busy with studies. With models fast approaching there was so much to finish. He had not gone to his uncle's place. He had wanted to, but he knew he will be anyways unwelcome there. Now with the battle of inheritance going it was better for him not to go. He thought about Sarangi. He atleast had wanted to meet her. His uncle and family were not at home. They had gone to some festival in their hometown. Only he and nanu were there. He was thankful for that. Silence helped him to concentrate. Else there will be bickering one way or the other by his mami's. Nanu was asleep. Then he heard a knock. He opened the door and was shocked to see his sister Sarangi standing there.

" Sarangi didi, you here at this time. What happened didi. Is everything fine" asked Vaishnav

" Nothing is fine Vaishnav, nothing is fine. I have come to you as my last resort brother. If you also leave me, then I have no other option, but only death in front of me"

" Death what are you telling didi. What happened. I know bade Papa's death has affected you. But for that to die and all. Come inside" he bought her inside.

" Vaishu my deal is kept. Next month 7th Praveen Chachu is getting me married to a 50 year old man, who already have 2 wives, but needs a son for that he wants to marry me as his third wife. He is paying all the income tax fine that has come as my price. All my brothers and bhabi's have also agreed to it as they just want to get rid of me. I will die Vaishu if you also tell you cant help me. I don't want to be married to a 50 year old man. Save me Vaishu"

Vaishnav looked at his distraught sister. The only person who had come to him every year with Rakhi from that family despite her parents and brother not being happy with it. But he was her kid brother as all her other brothers were elder to her. And today he knew it was time to deliver on the promise a brother gives his sister during rakhi, that of her protection.

" Sarangi didi don't panic. Wait let me see what can be done"

It was after dinner. Sudhir, Tilak and Sreedhar were in discussion on hearing. Rajasekhar had retired to his room. The ladies were tidying up the kitchen. Poornima came running down.

" Sreedhar Chachu, Sudhir Chachu Vaishnav has a problem"

" Problem what problem". Asked sudhir .They had got a phone call from Vaishnav asking for Poornima and Sudhir had asked Poornima to take it from her room extension.

In one breath Poornima explained the whole scenario. " What will we do Sudhir Chachu. Sarangi didi will be married to a 50 year old man as his third wife "

" Bhaiyya there is a way. But Sarangi will have to hold on and we might need Pooja didi's help " told Sreedhar

The ladies were also in the hall now. Sreedhar explained the whole plan.

" There is a problem Sreedhar. If you stop the marriage of a girl in the mandap it is said to be inauspicious and such a bride wont get good alliance later" told Suman

" That is a very valid point Suman told " agreed Maheswari also.

" What is this Maa. 50 year old man and a 18 year old girl. When you stop such a stupid marriage it is inauspicious. Why is it like this " asked Sreedhar

" Sreedhar beta certain things are like that. You can proceed with this plan only and only if someone is there I mean a good guy who is willing to marry her then and there" told Maheswari

" And if none comes up, maybe you will have to marry as if stop the marriage obviously that will be asked to us" told Renu

" I have to marry Sarangi. If you try to protect a girl you have to marry her. Arrey what is this. If that is the case how many will I marry" told Sreedhar

" Sreedhar since you are a bachelor now you will be asked. If you are married the question will come bring an eligible groom" told Renu

Sreedhar looked at Sudhir " Bhaiyya only you can solve such complex issues. I cant . Believe me, this society is crazy" Sudhir was smiling.

" Sreedhar your plan is good. We will discuss the fine details with Pooja. Suman's concern is valid. Leave that to me. A bride whose marriage is stopped in the mandap has to be married in the mandap itself. For that the prospective groom has to be there. If you are there I cant move even an alternate plan, as everyone will look at you only. So you should not be here or in a place from where you can be called back in a matter of hours. There is a trade fest happening in Singapore around that time. I will get you passes for that. Go there and stay put. Come back on Feb8th or 9th after roaming there. It will be settled"

" So Poornima discuss with Vaishnav on the plan told Sudhir "

Vaishnav listened to Poornima and then came back to Sarangi. He explained the plan in detail to her. Sarangi looked terrified " Vaishu I wont be married right"

" No Sarangi didi. You wont be. Just do as I have told you without any fear. No go back. Let no one know you have come to me"

Sarangi wiped her tears and smiled at her brother and then walked out.